1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay christians

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xxmikeyyxx, Nov 23, 2008.

1. whitefang

I am a gay Christian.....
    But don't they hate gays....
    I still don't understand!

2. ElizabethAnne

I grew up in the most Christian of Christian atmospheres. Really...we were at church almost every day of the week. The church prayed in tongues, got "slain in the spirit" and engaged in "holy laughter". Well, it was interesting.

There's lots of internet resources about being Christian and gay that you might want to check out. They talk about how you can understand those Bible passages that appear to be against homosexuality. Especially by Rev. Mel White.

But after this Prop 8 thing, I'm not sure I want to participate in an institution that supports oppression of a minority. That seems pretty wrong, even if they are doing it because they think it's right. After the prop 8 thing, I have been involved in debates with several of my Christian friends/family members. Over FaceBook, I wrote to my godbrother -
    "A. Let's start at the beginning: First most important Biblical law is "Love the Lord your God with all you heart, mind, soul and strength". Right, so is gay marriage and homosexuality able to fit into this law? I believe it is. There is definitely a paucity of verses on homosexuality in the Bible (and these are quite unclear as to their meaning), and I believe this indicates that it is not the grand issue that many Christians make it out to be. In fact, if as many Christians were as adamant in their help of the poor, for example (which the Bible speaks about in great detail), as they are in their protest of homosexuality, the world would be a much better place, more filled with love, and less filled with hate. So, let's be clear that this is not a Biblical issue (or many Christians would be out helping the poor etc, as indicated above). I think it's Christian culture that doesn't like homosexuality, not the Bible. $35 million dollars was spent fighting to disallow gay people from getting married in California. $35 million! Such a small, almost non-Biblical issue, fought with that staggering amount of money, to promote hate, from a group that states that they want to promote love. I mean, to me, this is the travesty - not the fact that two people who love each other want to get married. If Christians are going to spend that much money promoting hate (this is virtually not a Biblical thing, remember), and of course, not on helping the poor (which is a Biblical thing), then I think that they don't deserve the name, or we need a new name for a group of people who actually want to follow Jesus' teachings...

B. Second most important Biblical law: "Love your neighbor as yourself". I think that treating gay people with the same amount of respect as I'd like with regards to being able to marry, to raise a family is what is important. Not slamming their lives! Not treating them like second-class citizens! How does this one always get pushed to the back-burner by Christians?"

Anyways, I don't know if this helps you, but I hope it does.
    Liz.

3. Keegan4Strings

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I firmly believe that jesus loves everybody and anybody, no matter what. Jesus still loves a man who kills other men, but not one who sleeps with other men? Simply proposterous.

4. Trumpetplyer23

I recently converted back to Christianity.

I believe that God loves everyone. He may not agree with homosexuality, but if he hated it he wouldn't have made it possible for people to be gay/bi. I think when someone (if they're gay) dies, God says, "You know, I made it possible to be gay. I may not agree, but since you were such a good person (or you weren't a bad person) I'll let you into heaven."

What I'm saying is, God's love of everyone outweighs whether or not he agrees with something.

5. duckdrake23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was raised in the Southern Baptist Church setting, my mom is pretty into it. I recently came out to her, and well it hasn't been good. She gave me the whole "i'm going to hell etc." talk. I have honestly never felt any closer to God these past few years of my self acceptance. While I do not go to church on a regular basis anymore, I have a better one-on-one relationship with God then I ever have. I've studied the Bible (in part to see for myself what it really says) and prayed so much. God made me, he knew who I was before I was even born, and he loves me. While it has been hard to get to this point (years for praying to "fix me") but I'm getting more and more comfortable being a gay christian.

6. Mmmike

That's me !
    But i'm not completely out yet. One of my best friends that im out to is strongy into christian beliefs but she says she doesnt care because she couldnt live without me. Heh. :]
    I try to be both. I am myself. I don't strictly follow what the bible says because i personally view it as guidelines, not a set structure that everyone has to follow. So yeah... ;D

7. Trumpetplyer23

Christianity is a religion of love. Well, it's supposed to be. God is about love, fairness, and kindess to your fellow human. Same thing with Jesus.

Many people think the Bible is full of crap. I have to disagree; there are so many things that you could live your life by in there. God is all about improving your life and the lives of those around you.

Jesus is my homeboy for a few reasons. One, he's a totally loving guy. I mean, he accepts people for who they are. Two, he helped the poor and the disabled when he was alive. Third, he gave his life for our sins. That's like, the ultimate sacrifice.

Many LGBT people through relgion out of the window because of the entire Leviticus passage. It claims that a man shall not lie with another man the way he lies with a woman (paraphrased there guys). It also talks about not eating shellfish and working on the Sabbath is punishiable by death. Sure, there's stuff in the Bible that doesn't make any sense at all.

Yet, there are things in there that I believe everyone should live their life by. Stuff like not killing and stealing and hurting others. Helping others just to help them, no pay off in the end.

LIke I've stated in my other post, God may or may not agree with homosexuality, but I look at it this way. There are so many other things one could do to piss God off, homosexuality is pretty low on the list. I think God would be more pissed if you spat on a cross or defaced a Bible or I dunno, killed somebody. I think God supports love of any kind because when you get down the meat and veggies of it, God is about love, no matter what. He may think straight love is more acceptable, but he certainly isn't going to condemn you for being gay.

I had a rough journey. I was baptized Luthren, but went to a Catholic school to avoid the crime at the local public school. I lost my faith when I went to that Catholic school, simply because I couldn't see God as a vengeful, wrathful being. I was always told that God was a loving spirit and if you messed up badly, you could always ask him for forgiveness and he would give it to you.

Now, I'm not saying you can go whack 30 people and ask God for forgiveness and he'll be cool with it. Heck no! He's still probably going to send you to hell because you killed 30 people. But, he will have forgiven you but still punished you.

I really suggest a book, it's called 97 by Justin Lookadoo. It's a Christian living book for teens. He doesn't address homosexuality in it, but he addresses all kinds of other things.

God is about love, not hate. Don't let anybody tell you anything different.