1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gay and transexual!

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by markosss, Sep 29, 2013.

1. markosss

can i be gay and transexual at the same time?i always knew that i am gay but i also like doing some girly things....like wathcing movies for girls reading girls magazines e.t.c....sometimes im thinking that it will be great if i was a woman but i dont really want to change my gender...i am always characterizing my self as a men!i have grown up around girls is this playing an important role on my sexuality and identiny?(sorry about my english)

2. Jessica79

Sounds to me that you are just exploring your feminine side if you thought you were trans you wouldn't like yourself and would want to change your gender I hate myself I cry every night because I can't be who I am you are just exploring your girly side which is normal in men ^_^

3. JustAnotherSoul

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm kind of confused what you're asking. Some people are transexual and gay, that is to say that some trans*women (so mtf or male assigned at birth) are attracted to women, and some trans*men (so ftm or female assigned at birth) are attracted to men. If someone's a trans*women who likes men she is generally considered straight, although she could identify another way too (e.g., queer).

It's important to talk about the distinction between gender and sexuality, because there definitely is one. As Kawaii Girl said, it's completely normal for cisgender (not trans*) men to have interests that are seen as "girly" or to want to explore femininity. This is especially true of gay guys because some of the pressure to be a man in a certain way is now gone. Gay men are "allowed" to be more feminine than straight men if they want.

I would disagree with Kawaii Girl on one thing though, there are lots of ways to be trans*, and there are lots of different experiences. Just because you don't experience self-loathing doesn't necessarily make you cisgender (not trans*). Let's take a moment to define some things.

Sex- the parts you have, your genes (XX chromosomes, XY, or something else), and how your body produces and reacts to hormones.

Gender- How you feel inside, what you really are, how you see yourself and how you would like others to see you.

Gender assigned at birth- what the doctor says when you're born/ what goes on your birth certificate. "It's a girl!" or "It's a boy!" or "We need to run some more tests."

Transexual- Someone who changes (or wants to change) their sex through surgery and/or hormone replacement therapy.

Transgender (or trans*)- umbrella terms for anyone whose sex, gender, and/or gender assigned at birth don't match up. This includes people who aren't girls or boys (like me!), but might identify as genderqueer, gender-fluid, agender, or any other number of labels. Trans* people who aren't transexual may or may not choose to change their sex using medical intervention. Right now I'm not ever planning on going on testosterone or having surgery to change my sex.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sexuality =/= Gender Identity.

Just like with cis/non trans people, you can be anywhere on the sexuality spectrum. So in laymans terms, yes. You can be gay and trans at the same time.