Gamers that like niche titles

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Shyguy5, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Shyguy5

You're right about the common game talk. I always try to make a discussion about opposing sided like "oh I've never heard of that game, what's it about?" It'd be great to find someone that likes to discuss games/genre they're not use to because it can lead to other discussions like movies, books, music that can lead to other games. There are so many things that make up a game like music, art & gameplay, you'd think people can find a common ground to talk about.

2. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh you eventually find common ground. Some times it just takes awhile and then you can start branching out form there. Though sharing games is harder then sharing music or a movie. If I wanted to duck tape you to a chair, I could make you watch a movie I liked or listen to a ban I liked. I couldn't do that with a game I liked. You need a base ability to play a game. Also games tend to be 20 times longer then a movie.

Also I love to talk about games of all genders. (That's the wrong word I think.) If you want to talk games you could talk to me.

3. i like rain

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    tales series, though pretty big here its still considered a niche
    persona as well
    jrpgs in genreal.

4. ember

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have no niche in games. Some of my favorite games: Minecraft, the Portal series, World of Goo, Pokemon, Zoo Tycoon, Sonic Unleashed, and various IWBTG fangames.

5. Grimm

I'm not sure if you count Dark Souls as niche, but the people that love it enough to put 400 hours in (ehem... me) definitely are.

6. huehue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's only normal...The same way people will think you are weird if you don't listen to any top 40 artists...

I guess it's because people are guided by what they hear.

I've got to say, I love titles like battlefield and cod because lots of my friends play it and I have lots of fun...but games like shadow of the colossus...zelda...champions of norrath and stuff like that are still my faves.

And yeah when you mention them people will be like "oh that game isn't popular,I'm sure it isn't good" but truth is...Shadow of the Colossus is my fave game...ever. No modern graphics can beat the storyline in it...

7. rainbowkeyblade

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I like indie games a lot... like Papers, Please , Super Meat Boy and The Stanley Parable

---------- Post added 15th Jan 2014 at 04:01 PM ----------

Does kingdom hearts count?(*hug*)

8. Shyguy5

OMG, yes! I feel like a stranger when people hear that I don't listen to a certain artist or seen popular or recent movies. As for Shadow of the Colossus, I've heard about that game and how it's praised. I've watched videos of it and the bosses are massive but is that the main appeal?

9. Fourth Gate

These are niche but also happen to be some of the best games i have ever played.

1.) Planescape Torment (Best game ever made, no question here)
    2.) Arcanum
    3.) Septerra Core
    4.) The longest Journey

None of these got really famous, for different reasons. But they are amazing games in their own right.

1.) Baldur's gate over shaded Torment. But Torment is the better game, just had some horrible marketing and got released at a bad time.

2.) Fallout over shaded Arcanum. Arcanum also happens to be one of the only and the best steampunk game.

3.) Septerra Core is pretty much Final Fantasy on computer. Sadly never got the fame it deserves.

4.) The longest Journey is pretty well known as an adventure game. But sadly most adventure games goes under the radar.

10. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh Oh Oh. I just love love arncaum. The first and best steampunk game ever. It also has one of the best crafting systems in any game ever. Miles ahead of fallout in design and style too. I am still begging for a new one to be made.

11. Fourth Gate

I do enjoy Arcanum very much, but i couldn't play it without the community patches.

Another 'Niché' game that sadly didn't get very famous : Vampire Masquerade - Bloodlines.

12. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh I still need to play that one. It's been on my must play list for years. Well that and system shock, but I was able to knock off system shock over Christmas.

13. Fourth Gate

Get the unofficial patch for vampire bloodlines, it'll make it much smoother gameplay wise. And it's a rough diamond, once you start it you won't be able to stop before you're done. And then you'll want to play it again. It truly is one of the most amazing RPG's out there.

14. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    When someone tells me some old game is the most amazing game ever, there is a 50/50 chance they are wrong. People told me fallout 1 was the most amazing game ever, but I ended up hating it. Some times the old games that everyone loves are good games that should be loved, but some times they are less impressive then the new games we have today. Also the best RPG ever is Deus Ex. No question :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Fourth Gate

Fallout 1 was amazing for it's time, but it's one of those games that you have to grow up with. Vampire Masquerade - Bloodlines is actually a new game (Using the half-life 2 engine) so you'll have much better luck there.

I did enjoy Deus Ex very much, but as a RPG it doesn't hold a candle to Planescape Torment. Then again, no game does.

16. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Plainscape is on my hit list too, but I am worried because I bet I'm going to play it hate it then have to plow through a mob of fanboys and fangirls who say it's the best thing ever. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I recall when I said I didn't like fallout 1 and thought that fallout 3 was better I had to keep people back with fire.

17. Fourth Gate

I enjoyed both fallout 1 and 2 very much, but in my opinion fallout 3 was the better game.

Planescape Torment is very dialogue heavy, but if you're into NPC's and character progression you'll love it. It also happens to have the most hilarious dialogues of any game up to now. I'll quote one for you.

Morte: Psst... Some advice, chief; I'd keep it quiet from here on - no need to put any more corpses in the dead book than necessary... especially the femmes. Plus, killing them might draw the caretakers here.

Nameless One: Why do you care about the female corpses?

Morte: Wh- are you *serious?* Look, chief, these dead chits are the last chance for a couple of hardy bashers like us. We need to be *chivalrous*... no hacking them up for keys, no lopping their limbs off, things like that.

Nameless One: Last chance? What are you *talking* about?

Morte: Chief, THEY'RE dead, WE'RE dead... see where I'm going? Eh? Eh?

Nameless One: You *can't* be serious.

Morte: Chief, we already got an opening line with these limping ladies. We've *all* died at least once: we'll have something to talk about. They'll appreciate men with our kind of death experience.

Nameless One: Wait... didn't you say before that I'm *not* dead?

Morte: Well... all right, *you* may not be dead, but *I* am. And from where I'm standing, I wouldn't mind sharing a coffin with some of these fine, sinewy cadavers I see here.

18. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That dialogue doesn't entice me actually...

19. Fourth Gate

It's one of many dialogues, it's a very dark game and has some quite crude dialogues at times. But they are very well written and i promise you that you'll laugh when you read the banter between the NPC's. The only banter that i feel got even close would be Alistar and Morrigan in dragon age.

But what some people enjoy, others might not. But the creator of Baldur's Gate is the same one who made Planescape Torment. And he came out and said it's the best game he's ever made, so that's got to count for something.

I personally find it to be in a league of it's own. I can understand the hype for Fallout, Final Fantasy and Bioshock might be over the top. But when it comes to story, NPC and dialogues Planescape Torment just takes the cake.

#39 Fourth Gate, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  20. huehue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The artwork , the graphics, the storyline , the design of a sandbox World full of creatures 20 times bigger than you, was amazing, specially when it was on PS2.

I recommend you try it.

Agro the horse also makes it so much fun.

I would actually rate the game on 9.5/10 :slight_smile: