1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FtM Hairstyles??

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BradThePug, Apr 6, 2013.

1. wandering i

My sis is a hairdresser and recommended Wahl brand, so I bought these clippers (18$) and have been experimenting with self-grooming: Amazon.com: Wahl 9155-700 Color Pro 17 Piece Complete Haircutting Kit: Health & Personal Care

It's tricky and getting used to using one hand to control the mirror, and the other to operate the clippers, took about an hour of messing around. I still have some trouble getting the back well, but overall it's become much easier and I only had one mistake the first time which resulted in a pretty easily hid bald spot. It's surprisingly hard to really mess up as long as you keep the plastic guides on (that was my mistake, I took them off to trim my neck and then thoughtlessly tried to clean some odd hair up top).

I'm still running with a mohawk, though it's gotten quite long and I'm not skilled enough to cut the long part myself. I keep it in a small ponytail and I think that is more gender ambiguous. Who knows if it helps give people more pause as to whether i'm a feminine guy or a masculine gal. I still get read all the time but I'm beginning to think it's just because I can't pass as an adult man and I'm obviously not a young guy.

That being said I do like having the option to experiment on my own without having to explain things to someone else, whenever I want, for free. And the act of cutting my own hair suits me and feels more masculine than having someone else do it.

#21 wandering i, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  2. earthlvr510