1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friend Keeps Trying to Dictate my Sexuality

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by larmesdegorgon, Jun 22, 2023.

1. larmesdegorgon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well! I'm writing this because I had a former friend that always tried to dictate my sexuality based on how I dressed, acted, etc. And honestly, it bought a lot of confusion on my part.

Long story short, I came out as bi and the journey towards that was good and bad. However, one thing that remained consistent was friends trying to tell me I'm actually straight or a lesbian and it bought a lot of confusion and hurt on my part. There was a point where I actually believed that if I settled with a guy or a girl, then I'm no longer bisexual. That I'm just posing as bi because I haven't made up my mind yet. It was that bad. Recently, I've been told that I'm pan because I expressed that I'm down to dating anyone regardless of gender but the issue is I've always felt this way. They've been adamant on telling me that I'm pan because bisexual people never have 'that line of thinking' and that bothers me a lot. That they think so badly and negatively of bi people.

I guess I need comfort in knowing that I'm not the only one. I'm bi, have always been bi and will remain bi for the rest of my life because that's the label I identify as and there's always more to my sexuality.

What about you guys? Have you experienced something like this? What are your opinions?

buzzer likes this.
  2. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    they don't know what the effin f- they're talking about.
    that's just plain biphobia.

don't let them get to your head, you're bi and that's it.

TinyWerewolf and larmesdegorgon like this.
  3. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I've experienced others who try to tell me what I am, or am not, on many things from interests to orientation, etc., I analyze the comment, decide if it has any merit, and accept or reject it based on a number of factors. I usually don't get caught up in the emotion of it because in general, I'm open to suggestion/opinion, but I will still dress, look and behave how I want, and if someone in my life thinks that makes me a lumberjack, princess or pirate then whatever floats their boat...or pirate ship.

I think some of what you are experiencing is a sort of biphobia that exists within the gay and lesbian communities. Perhaps even the hetero as well. I don't think they know quite what to make of you so they try to play that game of "which one of these things looks like the other."

In reading this, it comes off as you being somewhat entrenched about it. Is there a reason why you refuse to believe or accept someone else's opinion based on things you yourself have said? I'm not saying you're something other than what you want to call yourself, but I will use myself as an example. I consider myself Pan, but I'm always questioning it, and am fine if it turns out I'm more or less something else instead, because at the end of the day, it just isn't a big enough deal for me to place it as sacrosanct.

larmesdegorgon likes this.
  4. larmesdegorgon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for your comment and that's a good question to ask! I think it just comes down to what I'm comfortable identifying as. I'm not opposed to listening to suggestions or guidance when it comes to questioning my sexuality, but there have been moments where my sexuality has been met with a lot of discrimination, especially in terms of my sexual/romantic experiences with others. I think it's hard for me to be more open to suggestions because I feel like my sexuality as a bisexual person has come under plenty scrutiny and it's become harder to tell if it's just plain biphobia or if it's actually useful.

Looking back at it now, sometimes I feel like it's my fault? With some friends, I don't talk about my interests in girls because I know that it makes them uncomfortable but maybe that's something I need to reconsider as well. Sometimes, I feel like if I just act like this then my sexuality as a bi woman will be strongly validated, you know?

Wanderlost likes this.
  5. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think when a Bisexual person in a hetero relationship talks about wanting to represent their orientation or be free in that regard, they are not so much talking about exploring with the "other sex" as much as they just want to be free and open about how they attract to others, and this is a perfect way to do just that. Say what you think or feel more often in mixed company whenever the topic of attraction or an attractive girl comes up. Be free and live it, and then get a kick out of all the funny reaction you get. Those reactions won't last forever, friends and family will get used to the new you.

You have great self awareness and the ability to self analyze your feelings. It's sort of a rare thing tbh. Unfortunately you have been, and probably will continue to have to explain to people your particular definition of bisexuality. But you are not alone. There are a few threads here with solid support of your view that you see bisexuality primarily as all inclusive.

6. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Iarmesdegorgon.....Hello and a great big LGBTQIA+ welcome to Empty Closets! :old_smile: I can remember the first post that I made on EC. I was desperate for help and I got the help that night that I so needed. I hope that we can help you in the same way that I received help. The most important thing to remember about Empty Closets is that we do care about you! We're very glad that you found us here on EC and hope that we can answer questions, give you support and provide a place to vent (as long as it's not violent!) :old_big_grin: when that becomes necessary!

*****There are 18 different sub-forums here that you can check out and join in the conversations or start your own thread/conversation. When I first joined Empty Closets I was in need of a lot of support and encouragement and I found it here…EC is a safe place. I hope that you'll find good things here too! Folks here will talk to you and share...you don't have to be afraid of asking questions...we're glad to have you! Empty Closets is all about making connections and giving LGBT folks a voice when they otherwise don't have one in their day-to-day lives. In particular you may want to check out the forum that is titled "Sexual Orientation”, there are people there who may have dealt with some of the same kind of issues that could be challenging you. I think it's fine to listen to what others think about your sexuality...if...they are close friends. However, in the end it's always going to be yours and only your decision when coming down to something as personal as how you define your sexuality. Being open minded is one thing, but allowing someone else to tell you who you are is completely different! Standup for yourself (I think you have). If you feel that you are bisexual, then that is the end of it!

Some info on how to navigate EC:
    When you have made at least 10 posts on various threads you will be able to post messages on a member's Profile Page. Just click on a member's Avatar Picture and then click on "Profile Page" in the dialogue box that pops up. You'll then be on their Profile Page and there will be a box that says: "Write Something" When you have been on EC for a few weeks and have made at least 50 posts on various forums, you can apply for Full Membership. A Full Member can send Private Messages (PM) to other Full Members and share personal contact info. Right now you can only send a PM to a Staff Member as that is always possible. Here is a quote from the Full Membership information forum: :old_cool:

*****To be eligible you must be a member of Empty Closets for a minimum of two weeks, and have a minimum of 50 posts. These posts must be across numerous forums (Fun & Games does not contribute to post count), and consistently posted across a minimum of two weeks. You wouldn't be eligible, for example, if you registered, had no activity for two weeks, and then returned to post 50 times on your 14th day of membership.

*****Well, as I said, we're very glad you found us! :old_rolleyes: If you have any questions at all, you can always send me a Private Message.

.....David :gay_pride_flag:

Knowing who you are and beginning to understand yourself are the precious jewels of a life that is worth living. Like any jewel, they are not cheap.
    By...Me

:icecream: Master Chef and Quality Surveyor of the Chocolate Society :chocolate_bar:

7. larmesdegorgon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much for your advice!
    I was a little hesitant if this was the right thread to post because it involved my friendships but your advice has been incredibly helpful! :hearts:

In terms of your advice, thank you so much for the affirmation! I stand up for myself and try my best to be respectful about their opinions as at the end of the day, being bi is my identity. I will admit that if my friends aren't comfortable with some things that I do then I panic cos my mind keeps overthinking that I'm a bad friend, etc. So when I sense discomfort in my friends when I express my bi identity, I'm stuck in this loop of 'I'm a bad friend' and 'Why can't they accept me like this?' However, reading your advice made me realise that I should actually do more to stand up for myself. I'm certain in my sexual identity thus I should be more expressive about it!

Once again, thank you for your reply!

quebec likes this.
  8. larmesdegorgon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much for this! That really means a lot! I'm currently in a hetero relationship and there have been moments where I've doubted my sexuality just from what I've experienced. My partner is incredibly supportive, understands me and engages in conversations about my experiences of being bi and the shitty comments that came along with it. And you're right. I should live it. Live my identity because it's who I am. I do worry that I may be pushing people's boundaries with the way I express my identity, but you're right. This is the new me. On top of that, my friends have been through a lot and have accepted aspects of myself so perhaps, this might be me overthinking things as well. It took a while for them to settle with aspects with myself and I, them so this is another aspect that'll take a while to settle.

Wanderlost likes this.
  9. Necrose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have experienced this myself, people telling me I'm not really bi, but either gay or straight. This is biphobia, and I for one will not put up with it, even from fellow LGBT people. I know what my sexuality is and if they don't accept that, it's their problem.

10. mlansing

Be bi and be proud! No one gets to determine that but you :slight_smile:

Necrose, larmesdegorgon and Kyrielles like this.