1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freaking out about changing psychologist

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Cora san, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Cora san

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As I stated in the title I’m thinking about changing psychologist. talking to her really helped me a lot at the beginning but I’ve never done therapy before and I’m having second toughs, it’s been almost two years since I started and I’m not sure we are making a lot of progress lately.

The thing is, I have a huge problem about opening up to people, I can’t even talk personal stuff with friends or family, I only have my psychologist and I don’t think I could do it again. the only reason I could start opening up to her in the first place is because a lot of heavy stuff happened to me at the same time and I started feeling like I was going to explode, and even then, it still took months before I could really talk to her freely (at least by my standards).

I’m really scared of the idea of going through the stress of changing psychologist just to not be able to say what’s really in my mind and loosing the only safe place I have.

Also, she’s been with me through a lot (changing career, figuring out my sexuality, my mother illness, a lot of drama regarding my father, etc.) and I don’t think I could explain or even remember a lot of the things I discussed with her at the time with a new psychologist witch I feel would be a step backwards.

What should I do?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

The concerns you have are common to anyone starting a new therapeutic relationship.

First, I think you'll find it easier the second time than it was the first. So much of that has to do with how you connect with the therapist. If you try a new one and don't feel rapport after a couple of sessions, then you can always try a different one. Sometimes it takes two or three sessions to find the right "fit".

Second, there's no need to recap the major pieces of everything you've discussed with the first therapist. The important elements will come out as you start working together. It isn't necessarily a step backwards, because a new therapist will have a fresh perspective, and likely see different issues. Often this can be really helpful in moving the therapy process forward.

So I can understand the fears, and I also think you'd find a pretty significant benefit in trying things with a new therapist. You can always go back if you aren't happy.

Ruby Dragon likes this.