1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Found a lump

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Double Dubya, May 22, 2007.

1. Double Dubya

Over the past 4-5ish months I’ve really been trying to get healthier. I’ve been eating better, doing yoga, and running. It all seems to be working because I’ve lost 40 pounds YAY!!! Now that I’ve slimmed down some, I’m feeling better.

The thing is, a few days ago my Chiropractor found a lump on my back. It’s kind of two lumps really close together like the shape of an 8 or a tiny peanut (in shell). My chiropractor thinks (from past experiences) it looks like a little tumor. So now I am going to my Med. Doctor in a week and a half to have it checked out.

From the little bit of research I have done; I am the right age that spinal tumors pop up, and I have most of the symptoms – BUT I suffer from migraines so the symptoms have been blamed on my neurological problems for the past several years. If it is a spinal tumor then that’s not good…:icon_sad:

The scary thing is that my Mum has fibromyalgia, three of my grand parents died of cancer, and a blood cousin just died a few years ago with bone cancer. This lump is right next to my spine so I don’t know what to think…:confused:

I guess that no one here can really help me, but I need to vent a little to get it off my mind…:dry:

Thanks,
    WW

2. TriBi

Well all I can say is try not to get too wound up about this (easier said than done, I know)...hopefully it is just a cyst or something similar. No sense in thinking the worst when it could well be something relatively harmless.

Is it possible to bring forward your Doctors appointment if this is worrying you? At least that would mean you will know the answer sooner.

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I agree with TriBi - it is very easy when you find something wrong or feel unwell in some way, to assume the worst. Often though it turns out to be something less serious.

So try not to worry, try not to think the worst, and wait until you know what it really is. If you can get a docs appointment sooner, that'd be good as it reduces the wait.

4. BILL9854

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah if I were you I wouldn't start worrying untill you know for sure.
    A few months ago I found a lump on one of my testicles and was convinced I had testiclular cancer, but when I finally got it checked out the doctor said it was just a cist... I felt so silly for worrying so much about it.
    I hope everything works out for you, good luck

5. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i had a bit of trouble reading because its a long thread but under stand it ok. i think you will be all right and dont worry because you will be ok.

6. Jim1454

WW - I'm hoping you're ok. Sounds like you're in good health actually - congrats on losing the weight! I've lost 15lbs in the last few months and feel great. I can only imagine how you feel having lost 40!!!

So while it is worrysome, let the doctors have a look and plan a course of action for you.

And keep us posted.

7. Double Dubya

Thanks guys!(*hug*)

I'm trying not to worry, but it is really hard not to. It gets scary having lost my cousin at a young age, and all of the nervous system problems that run in my family. But the scariest thing is that all these years I have been treated for unexplained migraines and lower back problems, when really the side effects of a spinal tumor are unexplained migraines and pain... I have had MRI's and brain scans to make sure there was nothing wrong with my brain, but the scans didn’t go below my shoulders so who really knows?

I know that you really shouldn't self diagnose, but when you do the research it is scary with the number of problems in parallel. I wish that I could move my appointment up a week, as it is now I go see a dentist about my wisdom teeth, and my Dr. about the lump on the same day, then go white water rafting the next.

~WW

8. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Hi DD, sorry I have been away for a while and doing other things that have limited my time on the forums. From your age alone it would be highly unusual for a tumor of the spine to manifest itself the way you describe, with two lumps. The blood relatives, even if first degree in nature (i.e., brothers, sisters, mother, father) is not an indication that you have a higher risk of such things happening to you. Latest studies show slightly over 80% of cancers are primary (not family related). So though it may seem your family has a high incidence of cancers, it does not necessarily mean that is what is happening to you.

Another axiom used in medicine is: if you hear hoof beats, chances are they are horses, not zebras. Look for the more common thing as that happens more commonly. In other words, from what is described, I would think first sebaceous cysts or next most common, fatty tumor. Both are non-cancerous. The cysts are clodded up pores and the glands in those pores produce the oil on the skin and even if blocked will continue to produce the oil. Over time they can become quite large and even infected and then require drainage or surgical removal. Not a biggie. Same with the fatty tumors, thought to develop from a trauma to the area or of unknown reasons. Some times they grow to a certain level and stop, others keep going. Then unfortunately some have "fingers" or "spiders" meaning branches out into surrounding tissue and when surgically attempted to be removed, can be quite extensive and if not removed can continue to grow. Again they are mostly non-cancerous.

In what you describe I would go with either of what I have mentioned before even attempting to jump to cancer. Along with that I have to say, there is to little information provided to be conclusive in this thought, but likely again, I am hearing horses and not zebras. That they need to be examined and a more through history obtained is without question, even just for the sake of the peace of mind you are in need of.

The history of migraine headaches is a bit tough too. Seems there are many causes now for them happening, but most seem to be related to allergy and stress factors in life. I have seen the condition move from being a drug seeker's delight to now being studied very intently as it has finally been recognized as a debilitating disease. Yes they can be indicators of other things, but again it is important to follow the paths presented to conclusions before moving on to the most dire thing, otherwise a simple problem could be overlooked. Medicine is like any other logical science as long as the science aspect is followed, it is an art too, because it requires some leaps of faith, intuition and dare I say spirit to bring all things together to treat the patient. But the logical aspect is followed like a math equation, 1+1=2, etc. Same with symptoms, this, plus, this, plus this most likely is this. It is not always, but mostly. And you could have all other symptoms of a disease but lack one single and necessary factor, and if it is missing so is the disease. So there is more to coming up with the answer then often meets the eye.

Finally, you are correct to say self diagnosis is not a good thing. It should be done by someone else who can be much more objective, thus would likely be more correct in what is happening and how to treat it.

Hope this helps some and if you want more info, contact me by PM and I will be happy to help out more or gather info for you. Best wishes to you and hope you have a happy wet rafting trip and come back with minnows stuck between your newly cleaned teeth :slight_smile:

9. Swimmerboy

I hope everything turns out to be fine. This is sad news :icon_frow

10. Swimmerboy

Lol, I did the same thing. I had mistaken my epididymis for a tumor. :eusa_doh:

11. Double Dubya

Hey everyone. Thanks for caring.

I just got back from the doctor five minutes ago. He said that I do have a tumor:icon_sad:, and even though it is close to my spine, it’s not touching the vertebrae. It is however touching a tiny nerve, creating the pain and a small “dead spot” on my back with no sensation. Fortunately it’s not cancerous:eusa_danc, and they won’t remove it unless it grows, or I whine enough.

Thanks,:icon_wink
    WW

12. Jim1454

While it isn't great news, it isn't horrible either. I'm sure you feel better for knowing. Thanks for letting us know!

13. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    im glad that you are ok dd. things sound not good but you will be ok. as jim said its noe better knowing about what you have and its not dangerours to you so im glad that your ok!!!

14. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    WW,

I'm glad to hear it's not as bad as you thought. Just keep working on your good health and concentrate on that!