1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forgot how backwards of place I came from

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by starfish, Oct 20, 2011.

1. starfish

So tonight I looked up something about my home town on wikipedia. I found a link to my old high school and was looking around the site.

I saw the dress code and found this

"NO Makeup allowed on boys.
    NO earrings allowed on boys."

Sigh..... I forgot how backwards that town was.

2. Shevanel

It doesn't necissarily mean it's homophobic. School's don't want their students to cause distractions in the classroom. That's why some schools have uniforms and such.

Basically, I don't see the big deal, but that's just me.

3. starfish

Maybe I am reading more into it than was intended.

If you are going to have such a rule it should be enforced for all people. Earrings on girls can be just as distracting.

Thinking back when I was there guys could have 1 earring.

4. Porphyrogenitus

Yeah, I don't read that as homophobic. I read that as kinda sexist - if they need rules about that sort of thing, they should apply across the board.

5. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know... I do see it as prejudice/discrimination. It's not right. I've always thought it was dumb that guys can't wear dresses/earrings/makeup to school but girls can. Back when my mom was a teenager she wasn't allowed to wear pants or shorts. Only dresses or skirts.

I wonder why we haven't also started allowing guys to wear "feminine clothing" or whatever people would call it. Yes, it is different for a guy to wear makeup or dresses. But different isn't bad.

I agree that if they aren't allowing guys to wear makeup and earrings girls should not be allowed to wear them either. The excuse schools use that it "distracts students" is crap. When young girls wear makeup they are also "distracting students" but where are the rules for that? I always found strict dresscodes to be ridiculous. Students get distracted all the time because they simply don't want to pay attention in class. I would get distracted by squirrels outside but I don't see them banning squirrels, lol.

In my high school a girl tried to go to prom with her girlfriend and was not allowed. The school was very strict about only allowing males and females to go together.

6. PerfectInsanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, then I suppose they should ban attractive people too. They can be quite "distracting". :wink: I wish schools put as much effort into educating as they do wasting everyone's time enforcing bullshit rules.

7. seeksanctuary

Then girls shouldn't be allowed to wear anything like that, either.

8. pikachu1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I dont really see a problem with this. The thing I think the rest of you might be missing is that it is not "within the norm of society" for men to wear make-up and whatnot. Due to this if they did try to do this at school it could cause an incident. Saying that girls shouldnt be allowed to either is just stupid when they have been able to do so for the longest time. It sucks that there are double standards like this but I dont see any reason to get in an uproar over such a trivial thing that doesnt even matter to that many people out there.

9. Alex15

Surrounded by the Old Repulican Vangard (Texas)
    My hometown guys couldn't wear button ups with more the 2 buttons unbuttoned from the top, and our hair couldn't touch the collar or a ridiculously high collared shirt they kept in the office. O and we couldn't have a single whole in our jeans. Mosst ridiculous, no flip flops... Because they didn't want us stepping on nails.... No construction has happened in this school in decades

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes rules come from bad things. We had a fight in my high school and a guy had an earring that got tore out and his parents sued the school and yada yada yada, so it was school dress code that NOONE could wear earring that dangled or were hooped, only studs

11. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    But back in the 50's it was not within the norm of society for a woman to wear pants or shorts. That changed and now I can wear pants everyday to school. And it used to be the norm for young men to wear suits to school but that has changed too. I'm sure guys might get beat up if they wear dresses, makeup, etc but I don't think it's fair that they are singled out.

12. seeksanctuary

Being GLBT isn't considered "within the norm of society", either, but here we are. So what if it's not the norm? It harms no one and saying that it's distracting IS a bullshit excuse, especially if it's a public school that doesn't have uniforms.

... Thanks.

13. RaeofLite

Hm. My school had rules like, "No backs, no butts, no breats." in other words, keep covered enough.

14. Drowzee64

This is why public school sucks. They'll ban anything out of the norm and cover it up by handing out bullshit excuses like "it's too distracting".

So glad I'm in a private therapeutic school now. They care about the stuff that REALLY matters.

15. Mad Man L

You're reading into it too much. Guys wearing earrings would get funny looks here full stop. No make-up allowed either, but for both genders.

Our school has a strict uniform policy. It's also quite ironic, everyone is quite accepting, yet it seems everyone is 'forced' to conform to social norms to some extent.

16. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the fact that so many people are okay with not allowing guys to wear earrings or makeup just because they would get funny looks or be seen as weird is surprising. Because I thought we'd be more understanding.

We know what it's like (at some point) to feel as if we have to change our sexuality because other people will look at us weird or we'll be seen as freaks. We want to be seen as normal, not as outcasts. And we don't want people to tell us to pretend to be straight because other people will look at us funny if we show our gayness. I don't want to be forced to stay away from anything gay because someone might beat me up.

Guys who want to wear makeup or earrings just want to be themselves, like us. And it's a cop out if rule makers think forcing guys to wear certain clothes is good just because they think it's protecting them. I have no problem with guys wearing makeup or earrings. It's sad that so many people think it's not okay. :eusa_doh:

17. MommaFrog

That sounds like my school... so glad i graduated....

every year for homecoming we had a "Wacky Tacky" day... then they made rules FOR tacky day like "No cross dressing" "No underthing outside your clothes" "No bedroom clothes, slippers, or pajamas"

Prom banned same sex couples....

So did homecoming....

And our one male cheerleader was constantly made fun of...