1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food/Recipe you like [to make] the most?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DragonChaser, Mar 25, 2022.

1. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is basically a call out to anyone who cooks and/or eats food, which by my calculation would effective include... all of you, so tell me, darlings: What do you like to cook/eat the most lately?

It doesn't have to be long-term, and it doesn't have to be anything more than something you ate today. It can be whatever you want! Really! Go ahead!

Tell us what you ate or want to eat or like to eat or like to cook or anything else related the universal experience that is eating to survive!

---

Here's a super simple recipe I've been making a lot lately to start!

1.) Take 1 brick of tofu and cut it into bite-sized cubes (you can optionally dry and "press" [using sheet trays, paper towel, and a few extra pans] the brick before for better texture)
    2.) Heat one large nonstick skillet coated with vegetable oil to high heat until ripples form on the surface of the oil
    3.) Add tofu and reduce heat to medium, occasionally and gently moving tofu with a wooden spatula (to reduce breaking and avoid sticking) until browned, about 10 minutes
    4.) Add 1/2 to 1 more tsp oil and throw in garlic (minced, sliced, chopped, granulated, powdered, anything!) 12-16 oz (about a commercial bag) of fresh spinach, and 1+1/2 tbsp of low sodium soy sauce
    5.) Toss/stir until everything is coated and spinach is tender but not wilted, or a little under a minute

You're done! Serve over rice, or ditch the spinach and add some vegetables for a stir fry, or just eat it hot out of a bowl with your fingers like an oddly vegan cave-person or like me right now! Wait... oh well, I'm not deleting it.

Anyway, if it gets dry while you're cooking the tofu or if the spinach starts to brown, don't be afraid to add some water or a little more oil, but be gradually and conservative in your application of either.
    If sticking occurs add a bit of water and coax the tofu from the bottom of the pain with your spatula. Scraping will only result in the tofu breaking apart, which won't effect flavor in general, but will affect texture.
    Also, try adding lemon juice for brightness or some white wine for complexity! Additional spices are welcome, including onion powder, cumin, and pepper, with white being my preferred for aesthetic.

And don't forget: Green onion makes everything better (that isn't dessert, anyway...)

Happy cooking!

2. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My best two dishes are chili and stew. My favorite food is shrimp, pretty much in any form.

3. Loves books

I like to bake but I don’t because there’s only two people in my house who can eat gluten and my favourite thing to bake is cupcakes. I hate that buttercream frosting that’s usually piled higher than the cake so I go back to my childhood of mixing water with icing sugar and trying to make it a paste to go on the cakes. To entertain a cousin once I baked 24 cupcakes put tubes of coloured writing icing on the table and asked did she want to help me decorate the cakes. I can cook savoury food but don’t. I used to like buying lemon layer cake until something lemon flavoured traumatised me and now my favourite fruit taste makes me feel sick.

4. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Excuse me, @Loves books, something lemon-flavored traumatized you? How dare you say that to me and not elaborate! Also, would you mind sharing your frosting recipe...? And do you make your own cake? Any tips would be grand, but no pressure or anything!

Well... I mean no pressure, per se, but, uh... you brought it up, and I don't like waiting, so... uhhhh...

clooney.gif
    joking ofc

@bsg75apollo, I cook shrimp all the time at work. Here's a quick, easy recipe we had on special last week!

-Take four or five large shrimp, shelled with tails and deveined (that's not a vein, by the way, so seriously, take it out).
    -Heat oil in a flat-bottomed medium skillet over medium-high heat until rippling, then quickly brown shrimp, one to one and a half minutes a side
    -Add minced garlic, white wine (nothing you wouldn't drink!), a squeeze of lemon juice, and half to three-quarters cup of heavy cream
    -Let simmer over medium-low heat until sauce reduces by half, stirring occasionally to avoid any sticking, then season to your taste
    -Serve over polenta or grits, or linguine noodles

I recommend a nice crusty slide of bread on the side and maybe a nice healthy glass of that white you cooked with if you're feeling it.

#4 DragonChaser, Mar 27, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  5. Loves books

I had to take this lemon flavoured liquid before a medical procedure. The taste of that putrid liquid was the worst part of the whole thing. I choked down about half and poured the rest down the sink. My two bowls of lemon jello I was allowed eat that night went in the bin and anything lemon flavoured now makes me want to throw up.

6. Phil0110

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I really like to eat risotto, it's very easy to cook, I use a special rice cooker, and put all ingredients together and set the command, very delicious.

7. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The dish from the OP sounds really good and healthy I might give it a go! Looks like it could be adapted with various ingredients that you like or are available.

I like to bake brownies with walnuts and chocolate chips in them. Apple or pear crisp sounds wonderful with the cool Autumn days!

Something I made up recently was a refried beans type thing. I cooked Great Northern beans and kept the cooking liquid which had some seasoning in it. Sautee diced onion then add chopped spicy and/or bell peppers and garlic as desired. Add cooked beans, smash and mash them and add bean broth to get the consistency you like, could be smooth or chunky, salt, pepper, cumin, whatever you like to taste. You could smash the beans ahead of time and add to the pan, whatever works for you. I ate some of it hot along with a fried egg and toast. Later had some leftover cold as a dip for tortilla chips. I've also browned it like you would potato pancakes or hash browns and flip it so the edges are a little crusty. Great protein, fiber and other good stuff!

8. Spidersneakers

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like to make chia seed pudding, its really easy. Also grilled cheese

9. Gleek99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello :slight_smile:

So I have a very sensitive stomach and can't eat most foods like gluten, dairy, soy, corn, potatoes, etc., (the list goes on) So my tried and true dish is super easy to make and very convenient especially after a long day at work.

I made it up, I call it avocado rice. I just add 1 medium or small avocado to a (2 serving) microwave jasmine rice and add garlic powder, black pepper, salt, lime juice all to taste and I also drizzle some olive oil to the rice to keep it from sticking together so much. If I have leftover meat I'll add that too.

10. bambibat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve made a vegetable balti, the main ingredient (apart from balti sauce/paste) being sweet potato. Sometimes I like to add an egg on top, or eat it with coconut rice.

And so far in my last year of university I’ve also been absolutely crazy about toasted bagels with cream cheese and peanut butter in them. I don’t know if it’s already a thing out there, but I haven’t heard of anyone else enjoying the combo. It just hit me one night and I’ve been hooked since the first time I made it. Recommend.

11. bambibat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

12. bambibat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @Gleek99

sorry, messed up my reply there lol. I meant to say that your recipe sounds really good! Big fan of avocado and rice so will try this :slight_smile:

13. Gleek99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome! I couldn't like your reply so I quoted you instead lol

14. Gigi K

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I....pretty much cook/bake anything really. I make things like Victorian Sponge Cakes, to Pineapple Upside Down Cakes, from homemade hot chocolate, to virgin mojitos, from Shepard's Pie to Homemade Pizza. So yeah, I do a lot of things.

One thing that really is my favourite to cook, is a simple seafood pasta. It just really hits the spot. With extra Lemon-oooh I haven't had dinner yet and I'm so hungry just thinking about it!

15. BocciBee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love cooking japanese curry, it's great for large groups and easy to make vegan!

Would absolutely recommend it if you can find a packet of japanese curry blocks in the supermarket.