1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time I have ever heard an adult say something pro LGBT

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by falcenav, Sep 17, 2014.

1. falcenav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was at soccer practice earlier today and short n sweet the coach was talking about how we need to support the varsity team at their games or something (Im on JV) and he said to "bring your girlfriends, boyfriends, or whatever..." This is an all male sports team. He made it LGBT inclusive. First time I have ever heard an adult say anything pro LGBT or LGBT inclusive in real life.

I don't really know how the team reacted, but I didn't see anyone jump or look concerned when he said boyfriends. It certainly caught me off guard.

This thing has been on my mind for hours now.

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can relate. My art teacher took about ten or so minutes to talk about how she doesn't tolerate homophobic behavior, and this was, I don't know, a month ago. It made me extremely happy, and seeing your coach say that, it makes me happy too, especially since I live in a conservative area.

3. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is so cool :thumbsup:

4. Emmanuella

Awesome!! I love these little stories.

5. MonteGuy92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That is great! I never really hear anything pro-LGBT when I am going about my daily life. It makes me sad. When I was in high school I had a teacher that would get really mad when someone would say "That's so gay." Her brother was gay and she said it was extremely rude to her and her brother and all LGBT people.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I will always remember back in 2006/2007 my art teacher said her husband supported civil unions. Granted, we were a "moderate" school, but it was still a conservative state.

7. black-cat

Wow that's incredible! I'm so happy for you, little stories like this are great!

8. Black Swan

That's great! My old English teacher is the only adult I've ever known to be pro lgbt. I remember once she was addressing us at my all-female high school, and said something like "Now ladies, or gentlemen if that's how you choose to identify...etc". A few giggled but there wasn't much of a reaction. I mean, no one in that class presented in a masculine way but it was still great. I remember even having a conversation about lgbt oppression and comparing it with racism.

9. Abdadhie

This is really good. We had a family friend over yesterday and he doesn't know that I'm gay or trans (but no one knows that) but he asked if I was getting a sex change (jokingly) and asked if I had a girlfriend. Its good that older people are being more LGB friendly and mindful. The big issue is Trans awareness. My best friend is transphobic as hell so I dread to think what most adults think abut it. Mate, I'm very glad for you!

10. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whoah that's great! My cousins are very cool with it, they have a gay uncle and live in San Francisco.

11. wontwalkblindly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We had to write persuasive papers for English and my teacher said if we picked an LGBTQ topic, we had to take a positive stance so it wouldn't be hateful :slight_smile:
    Another teacher said she wouldn't tolerate students using queer slurs.
    And yet another said that people needed to get out of their boxes. (Like they need to be more open minded about stuff like that.)

This is all super great because both my state and my school are conservative in general.

12. IwillBeStrong

I remember when I would hear something like this from a teacher at school or any adult at all I'd be always the only one with a superhuge grin on my face. I'm happy you got to hear that! :slight_smile:

13. Water lover

Water lover Guest

So last year at my school (granted it for advanced students in the STEM fields) we had a I think a trever anti bullying gay pledge thingy. I mean that week of school I wore a freaking rainbow bracelet all week and no one said anything and I am completely closeted lol. Hell we had 98% of the school to sign this pledge. There were atleast twelve kids come in one day with rainbow and trans rainbow shirts. Their are no openly lgbt people in my grade too lol. It was pretty awesome. The only time I have seen a teacher there get angry was when someone said an anti/gay slur. The next day out math notes were replaced with a lecture on human rights with the first slide being a pride flag lol I love it tree too bad I do to have the courage to come out.