1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding free/cheap counseling services

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Zec24, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Zec24

Ok so for reasons some of you know I cannot go to my college counselors to talk about lgbt issues. Damn military schools. My two friends at school that know about me advised me not to, as they believe there will be no confidentiality if I tell the counselors I think I'm gay. Yeah, patient-counselor priviliges don't work here.

Anyways, its not always possible for me to leave campus, we are a gated campus cut off from the world (or so it seems), so I'm having a hard time finding a place that will do counseling outside of school. I don't have my own insurance (provided by military) and don't have a lot of money to spend on counseling, so I need something cheap or free.

Would anyone know how to locate a good counseling center/service?

I still have some issues I need to work on concerning being gay and I am really stressed out right now from being overloaded in my credit hours and keeping up with my military job which puts me in charge of 130 people :icon_sad: . I need someone to talk to face to face and friends my age just aren't working like I'd hoped. I feel like I'm going crazy sometimes, I am almost bipolar some days, my moods can fluctuate in a matter of minutes and over small things.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

the only thing i can say is that you might have to wait for the counseling you want until you go home.
    good luck

3. Zaurak

there is always e-counseling, its being growing in popularity over the years and its alot cheaper than face-to-face counceling. Its a bit different since it is over the internet and it might be worth trying it out.

4. panda

How about a Church?

5. Bryan

i am sorry to hear you are going through this... Dont ask, dont tell is so wrong, the only horrible thing Clinton did in his presidency (besides monica, but thatt doesnt concern me). Try PFLAG (ask Becky) or here is the GLBT hotline... they helped me when I came out to my folks, they are the best:

http://www.glnh.org/index2.html
    Here is more from their site:

CONTACT INFO:
    Toll-free 1-888-THE-GLNH (1-888-843-4564)

HOURS:

Monday thru Friday from 1pm to 9pm, Pacific Time
    Saturday from 9am to 2pm, Pacific Time

(Monday thru Friday from 4pm to midnight, Eastern Time
    Saturday from Noon to 5pm, Eastern Time)

Email: [email protected]

The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender National Hotline provides telephone and email peer-counseling, as well as factual information and local resources for cities and towns across the United States.

All of our services are free and confidential.

We speak with callers of all ages about coming-out issues, relationship concerns, HIV/AIDS anxiety and safer-sex information, and lots more!

We also maintain the largest resource database of its kind in the world, with over 18,000 listings. Our database contains information on social and support groups, as well as gay-friendly religious organizations, sports leagues, student groups and more. We also have information on GLBT-friendly businesses including lawyers, doctors and various counseling professionals.

Hope this helps, Bryan

6. tayana

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've done the online counseling thing. The counselor I worked with was gay, even. The price is on a sliding scale, you basically pay what you can afford. I'm not sure what you are looking for, but the online thing works great if you just need someone to talk to and work through some issues. If you need any sort of treatment, a face to face counselor is best. I just thought I would add my experience since someone suggested this.

7. Zec24

Thank you to all who replied. Thanks Tayana for the insight on the online counseling thing. I'd never heard of it before, but I might try it.

Thank you Bryan for all the great info too. I really appreciate it. I may try calling that hotline too. I don't like don't ask don't tell either, but it has its pros and cons. My biggest problem with it is that it forces me to lie and that is against Army values, it seems odd the military even consented to this policy, but I guess Clinton was the president so they really had no choice.

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Clinton did what he felt was best at the time and even though it's bad policy now, I believe it did serve a purpose back when the laws were changed. Hillary agrees with me. :slight_smile: Anyway, if there is a PFLAG close to you, I would definitely check that out. We have break-out support groups where you can talk about these types of things.

I would also contact the Servicemens Legal Defense Network and see if they can help you.
    (202) 328-3244
    www.sldn.org

9. theinsidellama

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you have a local lgbt youth organization/center or general lgbt center they often have programs here... feel free to pm me as I have some connections

10. Zec24

Becky, I'm already in contact with the SLDN, but I don't really need legal advice, I already understand what I can and can't do. They are trying to get me into contact with other graduates of my school who went to the same thing. Still waiting on that though, but I hope it helps.

I tried the online counseling last night, it helped. I feel a little more at ease now after talking to a therapist.

Also, I finally hit the send button on an email to my cousin (who is gay) asking for some help and support. I hope he replies soon and that its positive (don't know why it wouldn't be), but we don't really know each other very well, he is my 2nd cousin. Every time I've met him though we have always got along well talking. We'll see I guess.

Thanks again to all who replied.

11. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

If you are in Canada then Kids Help Phone is completely free/confidential service.

1-800-668-6868

"Whatever the reason, talk to us"

As the slogan says, shoot.

Note: If you are not living in Canada, try to look for similar services as the line is not available outside the country.

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

In the UK ChildLine on 0800 1111 offer the same sort of service.