1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Final Fantasy

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Tim, May 27, 2008.

1. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

Really? I thought they released it the same for everyone. Its quite common to get a hold of over here. I could mail out some if people need it.

I say the graphics are sub-par to the norm because FF6 was released in the US on the Super Nintendo, and uses 2D sprites. The artwork is amazing but it may be hard for someone who has only played games in 3D to adjust to it. Even I had some problems going back to it after playing FFX (I played FF6 initially when it was first released on SNES), but the storyline and characters are definitely worth it.

Personally I don't like how they changed a few things in the Gameboy Advance release, such as renaming Cyan's attacks "Bushido" instead of "SwdTech". I think they should have left it the way it was -_-

2. Adrian

Adrian Guest

It's hard to get hold of a proper European copy, the US version's pretty easy to get hold of on eBay. I get the Euro versions of games in case they contain translation or bug fixes, most people aren't that bothered.

I guess it's down to personal opinion but I'm not keen on the whole 3D>2D thing. To some extent its like comparing chalk and cheese - it's not just a graphics thing, whether a game's 2D or 3D effects the whole thing.

Good 2D graphics are timeless. FFVI still looks great when compared to modern 2D games, the graphics are clear and detailed. The PS1 era FF games have aged, they lack detail, etc. FFVII desperately needs a graphical update in a way that none of the SNES games ever have.

Yeah, I have sympathy for people who prefer original translations and stuff, nostalgia and all that. I personally like that the translation is revised with each version as obviously it's closer to what the creator intended and ultimately it means I'm not paying money to essentially play a complete carbon copy of a game I already own. At the end of the day, no-one's taking the original version away.

3. Chaos

I love Final Fantasy. I'm a fan of IV, V and VI so the old school ones. I played IV and VI as II and III on SNES when I was 11. I've even had the chance to play the first Final Fantasy on NES when I was about 10.

Not a big fan of XII or any of the spin-off games (X-2 and Dirge).

VII is good, but a tad overrated. VIII is probably the most underrated for me. IX is pretty cool.

All of the games are awesome though. I could replay any of them over and over again and not get bored of them. So far I've only beaten the first, IV, VI, VII, VIII and IX.

4. Tom

Tom Guest

wow i totally forgot i even had FFVI, its sitting in my PS1 as i type, i havent played on it tho and havent really got very far, ive basically just escaped from the army type guys when they chase u thru the mine really early on in the game, then i decided to get a drink and havent played on it agen since then. this musta happened a few months ago now, it just didnt have a certain quality about it tht made me wana play, eventho it was not as bad as ff8. i dunno why, i just dnt really like the game =[

5. Adrian

Adrian Guest

Final Fantasy XIII's also going to be on the Xbox 360 and released at the same time!

This is something of a surprise.

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    FF6's graphics are just fine for me. Considering the game came out in the middle of the SNES's lifespan, it has incredibly sharp detail and artistic style. The sprites are all fluid, nothing is blurry or busy or clunky, the special effects are great for a 2D game, and the backgrounds really help it all. Thanks to FF6, every time I look at the clouds I imagine them yellow and with a giant purple angel.

To Tom, I really suggest you go and play 1-6. At the very least, 4 and 6. 7-12 are okay, but it really helps to know where the series trademarks come from. For example, Aeris' theme sounds very similar to a song used in FF6, which was made four years prior. FF6 also had an angelic monster with choral music as the final boss long before 7 did. Give it a try, at least, if you do indeed have a copy.

Also, Kefka:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#66 Wander, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  7. Tim

Tim

Oh god, it's all over the FFXI forums, everyone is overreacting, and we're all laughing. Fanboys/girls said FF would NEVER Hit Xbox. They completely forget or don't know FFXI has been on the 360 for a while now, almost since it was released. XD

Few more days til FFIV for DS! Yay!

Playing Final Fantasy Tactics A2, pretty fun, but gets frustrating at times :S

8. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The news wasn't really that big of a deal for me. I'm still not interested in the vast majority of the 360 library - one multiplatform game isn't going to make me buy one, and I'm not all that excited for FF13 anyway. Flashy jumps and explosions do not make a Final Fantasy game. I would never have known that it was part of the series if they hadn't put a title on it.

Lettuce Kefka:

[​IMG]

9. crystaltriforce

i was crying when arith was killed, and i can't wait for 13 and dissidia to come out in the U.S.

10. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You...kinda have a habit of bumping dead topics, don't you?

Anyway, one week to Dissidia! My sig will stay the way it is until then, at which point I'll change it out for something else.

But Kefka will be in my avatar for a long time.

11. crystaltriforce

who me?

12. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [sigh] The years wasted away playing those games...

...All worth it though. :grin:

13. Hoppip

Excuse me as I use a Phoenix Down on this thread that I haven't touched for two years.
    Oooh, see what I did there?

I've been hardcore level-grinding on Final Fantasy X for the last five days. I decided to put back up the ol' PS2 and finish off my last summer of freedom with some good old nostalgia (yes, FFX is nostalgic for me, don't judge, ruuuude). I need to beef up my party in Bikanel before I go fight @#&#ing Evrae on the airship because FFX's battle system is specifically designed to fuck with my emotions.

I'm thinking of finishing off Lulu's sphere grid route, then turning her around so she can go into Rikku's. Rikku has high HP and high agility which are two major flaws of Lulu's development, so I hope it's not a terrible idea.

I tried making Kimahri go down Yuna's white mage path. Eh. He's still as useless as ever.

Anyway, I love Final Fantasy again. I want FFVIII and I'm recently extremely interested in FFIX. I'm not gonna bother with FFXIII because it looks contrived and I don't have a PS3.

14. SolitaryKnight

FFXIII was okay. It wasn't nearly as good as previous entries, it didn't help that Snow irritated the hell out of me.

I'm on a bit of an FF break at the moment. I think when more news comes out about FFversusXIII I'll get back into it.

15. Tim

Tim

I got into the FF14 beta, (I'm assuming due to the fact my FF11 account is 7 years old, even if I haven't touched it in over a year). But it requires like, 28gb on your computer, and it has to be on the computer, not an external, and 28g is like, bigger than the actual laptop I'm on. >_> 240gb External is there for a reason.

16. Emberstone

if it is called final fantasy, why do they keep releaseing sequels? how can it be the final fantasy if more are too come?

17. Elven

Wow this thread rejuvinated quickly.... sure you didn't use a Mega Phoenix :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Final Fantasy is pretty ace, my favourite world has to be Ivalice, I just love the variety there...

18. alexasmith

alexasmith Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    very Niceeeeeeeeeee

19. Elven

It was very sad but I coulden't help myself :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. Dr Acula

Final Fantasy - the greatest games ever. My personal favourite is 8, controversial I know, but it was so enjoyable, even with abusing the junction system. 7 was good, but I don't get the hype about it all.

Did anyone else think 13 was a bit weak to be honest, the storyline was slow, the combat system was annoying - too many things wrong with it, didn't feel like a Final Fantasy except in name.