1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Figuring-out-my-gender-identity journey

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Athena171717, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Athena171717

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So im athena and im a female but lately i have been thinking whether i am man rather than a woman. To begin with im a tomboy lesbian(if i have to name it) and out of the blue i had these thoughts. Actually i thought about it many many times but it was very on the spot and lasted 2 minutes except another two times that i thought about it more. But now the signs that i recognize are more "serious" and that's why i have been thinking about it more. First i dress menly all the time and i dont like anything girly on me like curves small shoulders breasts long hair make up(i dont have an issue with my genitilia), I don't want anybody to see me naked even in sex i dont feel comfortable or i dont feel comfortable someone touching me "there". There was a time that i could not even look my self naked in the mirror,now i can but two minutes max. When i go to the beach i dont want to wear a bikini(i do only when my mother makes me) so most times i go with a men's swimsuit(and at top a sports bra). I have picture myself in random moments to be a guy and i liked it it felt home. When i was a kid and we were role playing i was always a guy and liked playing with "boy toys" and again not dressing with dresses and girly stuff. Before i had my first girl crush(and found out im a lesbian) i liked girls but i kept imagining me as a boy(i was so pure i didn't think that was not "normal").I dont know if i missed any of my thoughts but lastly something i think is pretty notable is that i fear of talking to my therapist because im afraid she will tell that im overthinking and that im not trans(like i want to be but dont want to be?)...im so confused i know there are not specific criteria and it's the first time i share these thoughts and it's like a burden came off

2. Erin333

Erin333 Guest

Hey Athena, you sound kinda trans masculine to me. I identify as on the trans spectrum but not as binary; I was also born as a woman. I don't have urges to be a man in actual life; if I did I think I would probably consider myself as a trans man, whether secretly or otherwise. My feelings of being male are more like it's a part of me that is not connected to wanting to have an actual male physical embodiment [as opposed to an imaginative embodiment, which I very much have, if that makes sense]. Because I also feel female.

The fact that you have actual feelings of wanting to be a man IRL and it makes you happy, makes me think you might be trans. (Of course, nobody can say but you, and time will tell.**) There is a lot of writing on Medium.com about people discovering their trans identities. Not sure if you have seen it, but I've found it quite inspiring and helpful.

---

** Actually, I spent a couple of years when I was a lesbian thinking that I was definitely NOT a woman. Was I a man? I had these thoughts. Then it changed again. So, I think these things sometimes can change, too.

Athena171717 likes this.
  3. Athena171717

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you very much for answering me i was really nervous Can you describe what you mean when you are saying imaginative embodiment? So you were thinking you were a man for years and then you changed? Have you felt being a man since then? It must have been very confusing this journey(at least i would feel confused it doesn't mean you would too).
    I feel like a woman but i think because my whole life i was a woman and i strongly believed that and that i wasnt a man. Up until now. That's another reason im not sure (like a social reason i think). Im stuck to the idea that maybe im wrong and that i will regret it but when i think about it it hurts like why can't it be easier?
    I don't know if i was clear in the woman part by the way. And i wanna thank you again for your attention and everything because it's the first time im discussing this topic and it helped