1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Figuring out identity within lesbian community

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by HopeFloats, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Precious Venus

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    *chuckle* I just had this epiphany the other day and cut all my nails short. :slight_smile: As someone who's new to the whole girl-girl thing, it hadn't occurred to me before!

You know what? I went out on the weekend. I wore skinny jeans, a tight top, my long hair down, makeup, jewellery and ballet flats. I'm pretty femme looking and I definitely don't walk with a swagger (more of a wiggle realy). Anyway, point of the story is, I ended up chatting to a lesbian I met later on who I've since met up with again (just friends) and she said she "picked me" as bi straight away.

So I guess what I'm saying is, for those with a fine-tuned gaydar, it doens't matter what you wear... they'll know!

As for me... well I can't tell at all, so can everyone please keep wearing those rainbow bracelets and staring into my eyes? Thanks! :thumbsup:

2. wanderinggirl

HAHHAHA yes rainbow bracelets and eye contact! Sometimes there's no other way to tell.

I love that there is such a diversity in the gay community regarding gender expression. When I first came out I dressed like I thought a lesbian should dress, because part of me had always loved dressing like a tomboy. But I quickly realized it wasn't for me, and I became aware of the fact that it was not for me. I fine-tuned my style over time. I still wear dresses and things, but I'm less self conscious of putting on something i love and asking "Does this not have enough frilly feminine accents? Does it make me look like a lesbian?"

Also, I'm addicted to painting my fingernails; because they're short, I am hoping that painting them fun colors also draws attention to their length. :slight_smile: In this case, a girly accent might make it easier to spot me as queer!