1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling like a terrible parent

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Strangetripp, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Strangetripp

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks again everyone. A new dilemma has arisen. My son asked me to tell his very religious sister recently. She did not handle it well. After hanging up on me she sent him a lengthy text basically saying she loves him but can not accept this and will pray for god to fix him. Im furious and extremely disappointed! Then she called my wife (her mother) and basically said god was punishing me for not being a good Christian. Wow!! My son has come out and had complete support from everyone but his own sister. Even his 83 year old grandmother (my mom) texted him telling him how proud she was of him. I texted my daughter (because she wouldn't answer my calls) and explained that i respect her religious beliefs. I told her how much her brother needed all our support and that she didnt have to like her brother being gay but she needed to accept it. This is a chance to get to know the real person (who is awesome!!) rather than the angry facade we've seen for years. Thus far she has not spoken to me or my son again. I truly hoped this would be a new beginning for us all and am extremely disappointed in my daughters reaction. With christmas coming i am hopeful she will accept what cant be changed and embrace our new reality. Suggestions???

---------- Post added 14th Dec 2016 at 08:57 AM ----------

Quick addition. My son handled her text like a pro. He texted her back explaining that he went to her church for years praying for god to take these feelings away. That didnt work and he repressed these feelings for years. But now he realizes that god made him who he is so god must not have a problem with it!! I thought that was incredibly insightful!!

2. Behaviorist

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What a beautiful story.