1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling 'hidden' as a lesbian just because I have long hair

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by sapphiregirl, Jun 24, 2017.

1. sapphiregirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm a lesbian, and lately I've been dealing with feelings of being 'hidden' due to the fact that I have long hair (well, medium-length), and quite a naturally feminine looking face. I'm not even very feminine in terms of my style - I'd call my style 'casual/tomboy-ish'. All I pretty much wear is jeans, Converse or Doc Martens, shirts, jackets, hoodies etc. However, when I do come out to people, or when others find out I'm gay, they are usually always very surprised and hardly believe it. I guess it annoys me that nearly everyone assumes I'm straight when I'm not.

Maybe it's related to my personality as well - I'd say I'm a fairly quiet person; I'm an introvert and a lot of people say I'm softly spoken, patient and kind. I think there's a general assumption that lesbians are extroverted, super confident and loud. I don't know - I just feel very insecure at the moment, almost like my sexuality is invalidated due to the fact I don't meet expectations people have of certain stereotypes.

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, you sound exactly like me. Not much I can say except that people are going to invalidate other's sexuality no matter what due to stereotypes they hold. It sucks, but better to be who you are than force a fake image.

3. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel ya, i'm a lot like you OP. I'm a shy, quiet, socially awkward, but kind introvert plus i've got long hair (medium length when i get it cut on occasion). I'm generally pretty patient but i can be moody on bad days. I never wear makeup and i dress in jeans and a t-shirt or polo and tennis shoes most days, sandals and knee-length shorts in summer. I don't fit the stereotype either so most people assume i like guys. And being in the closet to 90% of the people in my life, i'm not in a position to go correcting people either. It sucks. Even if i come out and cut my hair a bit, i don't think i'd come across as gay to anybody which is hard. I mean right now i can't but eventually i would like to start dating when i'm in a better position.

#3 AlexJames, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I can understand how you feel hidden but you shouldn't change your appearance if that's how you feel comfortable. If you want to be a bit more easily noticeable perhaps getting a little rainbow bracelet or something would help.

beagle and Really like this.
  5. IndianWoman

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Exact thought on my mind every day as I am a shy and sort of feminine lesbian too! My environment doesn't allow me to come out openly and discuss about my orientation but I've had people around me making fun of someone else's sexual orientation without realizing I could possibly be a lesbian as well.

6. lil miss hikes

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same OP! Being gay and socially awkward is not a good time.

7. Loves books

I have long hair all I wear are jeans t-shirts and runners and I am most definitely an introvert. So yeah people assume I'm straight despite the fact I'm 25 and never had a boyfriend. Let people assume what they want and tell who you want that you're gay. There is no way to look like a lesbian everyone looks different gay or straight some people are obvious some aren't. You do you.

8. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So you probably are tomboyish or femme, is what I'm assuming? That's fine. Doesn't change how attractive you are. Just keep coming out of the closet and over time it'll be more obvious to others. LGBT isn't always a "lifestyle," it's a part of your identity. You don't have to change anything about yourself to be a valid lesbian. I honestly don't get why some groups give certain lesbians such ***** for being "too feminine" or "too masculine" or for being "slightly bisexual." That's just self-contradicting. Just be yourself.

#8 Foxfeather, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017