1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling depressed and like I’ll never find love

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by AnxiousReader, May 15, 2023.

1. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know this probably sounds self-indulgent, and I realize this is a very first world problem to have, but I just feel so lonely a lot of the time. I want a romantic partner more than anything and I've tried to put myself out there but no one reciprocates my feelings. I’m in love with my friend actually and she doesn’t know. I just feel really isolated in general though. I had to quit my toxic job and so now I’m at home all day where I live with my parents until I can figure my shit out. I have other friends but they don’t live nearby and they basically never call or text. I hear from them like a few times a year at most so a lot of the time it feels like I basically don’t even have friends a lot of the time. It feels like no one ever cares to check in on me and I’ve had to put up with a lot on my own. I’ve always tried to be there for others but it’s rarely returned. Another friend I had that I was very close to cut me off completely like three months ago because I was too needy for her even though I’d always been supportive in her times of crisis. (And there were many.) When my ex and I broke up several years ago it was the same thing. I basically had no friends to support me and I was depressed for two years straight often crying nearly every day in secret. The only person who truly knew how much I suffered was my sister. In the end I had to pull myself out of that depression because I didn’t have anyone really except her to help me. I just am so tired of being alone and feeling like nobody cares. My parents don’t know how much I struggle either because I hide it pretty well. My dad doesn’t even know I’m gay. Idk even really know what the point of this post is really, I guess I just needed somewhere to vent. :frowning2:

2. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hugs. You're not alone feeling like this. I feel similar. Lonely, also living with parents, depression etc. I don't have good advice for you, but just wanted to let you know, that you're not alone.

AnxiousReader likes this.
  3. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been where you are, some days I still am. Things recently are looking up more for me though. The point of saying this? Things do change, sometimes you have to face the anxiety and sadness to make them, but it happens. The best thing I've done for myself in the past few years is come to this site, even though I have to keep that a secret. Are there support groups in your area for lesbians or LGBTQIA+ people? Or a group for a hobby you have? What you need is a support network it sounds like, and these would help you make one

mnguy and AnxiousReader like this.
  4. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unfortunately I live in a pretty small conservative town. So there isn’t a lot of open lgbt support. Running into anyone queer around here isn’t that common. Part of the issue too is I don’t drive or have a car. So I can’t go anywhere without my parents taking me. Basically my sister is the only real friend I have it feels like most days.

5. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My hobbies also are kinda “odd.” I’m really into Cottagecore and dark academia type stuff. Like my interests are sorta old fashioned. I like scrapbooking, classic novels, tea parties, baking, etc. I don’t do a lot of stuff that a 26 year old normally does. I’m basically sober by choice too so going to a bar or something doesn’t hold much interest for me.

#5 AnxiousReader, May 16, 2023
    Last edited: May 16, 2023
  6. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds like you and I have similarities in our situations then, I live in a small town in the south. Except my family is the main thing holding me back. Would your parents be supportive? In the meantime, try reaching out to people here, the vast majority of people I have interacted with are nice

7. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I live in a small southern town too. It’s def not always easy.

8. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know people, here actually, that are interested in at least one of those things. Besides, they don't have to be common amongst our age group to make friends at least (now a romantic partner is a different story with that probably I know, but friends are nice to have too). I feel like a decent amount of people in their twenties do like to bake though, I would myself if I knew what I was doing hahaha!

Wanderlost and Rayland like this.
  9. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you. Everyone here has been so nice. I wish I had irl friends like on here.

10. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It really is hard, if you live in the south you know how it is... I plan to escape/flee this place one day, but I wish I didn't have to. I was friends with a lot of people that ended up being like us a long time ago- now I have three in real life. It does get lonely when you don't have much support. So utilize this site to make friends, this is a very supportive community.

Rayland and AnxiousReader like this.
  11. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're welcome and I'm glad you like it here. It's the same for me, there aren't any lgbt+ centers in my little city and I don't know anyone else queer in real life either. I only have online friends and one straight real life friend, though sometimes I wish I could be around others like me, but at the same time I still would feel like I'm alienated.

I don't think these interests are old fashioned. I like baking and dark academia aesthetic is beautiful. So many people do scrapbooking and there are whole scrapbooking communities online.

12. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, your post really resonated with me. I feel the exact same, except I feel like I'm probably more emotionally unstable than you. So I feel like more of my problems are my fault - but that's irrelevant, sorry. What I guess I really want to say is you're not alone. I feel completely alone right now, but recently I blocked two people who cared about me at first but who made me uncomfortable, and when I go through times like that I start to spiral emotionally. Pair that with feelings of unrequited love I don't ever remember living without and a lack of friendships on my end too, and I guess you get a really toxic mix. But none of this is your fault. You deserve love, and friends, and those things will come.

Things feel very dark for me right now, I feel emotionally empty and like I'm starting to let my compassion fatigue overtake me. I feel myself fading away from people who once cared about me, descending into my own kind of lonely madness. I hope you're not quite where I am yet. But like the other users have said, please use this site as much as you need for support and to make friends. And hopefully the people on here will be able to help you as much as, in lighter times, they have been able to help me.

13. Ipswichfan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    E-hugs, AnxiousReader. I live in a very small rural northern town.

14. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey @AnxiousReader how did your week go and how are you feeling today? I'm sorry you've felt so lonely but glad for your sister. How about talk with parents about your sadness? I like baking and cooking too and seems like women your age run food blogs. I'm sorry about FL. Can you take Uber or similar to go out if you want or how about ebikes to increase your mobility freedom? Hang in there and we're here for you! :hugging:

15. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Awwww thank you so much! That’s extremely kind of you to say. Your response actually made me tear up. I’m doing okay. A little better than before. Not great still or 100% but I’m coping.

Wanderlost likes this.
  16. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey life can definitely be tough and isolating at times. Does your sister also live at home? Does she have a car? Are there any opportunities to volunteer or anything in the local area? It’s not a perfect solution but sometimes it can help. Whilst on line friends are no replacement for real life ones I agree with the above posters that EC can be a great place to chat to people whilst you are working on that same thing in real life.

Wanderlost and AnxiousReader like this.
  17. Really

Hey @AnxiousReader

Have you checked out meetup.com for your area? You can search on any keyword that might apply to you and see what’s around. Either by age (20s, 30s), lgbt-related (use all the words because it could be anything; queer, gay, lesbian, bisexual, etc), hobby/activity…. You get the idea. Just see if there’s anything of interest where you might spend a nice hour or two with new people. It won’t instantly make you new friends but you’ll definitely get a little mood booster each time you go. And that could lead to making real friends.

Another thought is finding something you’d like to learn and sign up for a set of “lessons”. Whether it’s a “learn to run” club (my favourite because you instantly have a common goal and struggle ;} ) or a set of pottery lessons, for example, anything like this will necessarily lift your general self esteem because you can’t help but improve at whatever it is. And that always feels good.

Anyway, good luck. You’ve got this. :slight_smile:

18. Milquetoast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sorry, A.R. Loneliness is overwhelming and painful. Since your friends keep leaving perhaps you will consider some therapy.

Develop other interests; you might meet someone in an endeavor. I told my kids to relax; they will meet someone in a grocery line. Take prescription drugs to reduce your anxiety and if your anxiety shows and you can mute it, all the better.

No easy answer but good luck to you

Wanderlost and AnxiousReader like this.