1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling beaten down

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chierro, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually feel like it's coming across more here because I have more time to think of my responses if that makes any sense. During the interview, I have to come up with my answer quickly, but in non-interview, I can think out my responses more.
    The bulk of the answer is on the structure of a typical lesson than on doing things differently. The "controlled chaos" is used as a quick buzzword and then I elaborate on the typical structure. When talking specifically on my teaching philosophy, I focus on making sure students are enjoying what they're doing.
    I've sort of done this, but not exactly. If I know someone who works at the district or did work there, I've reached out. For one, it was the teacher who was leaving and her job was being listed. For another, she used to work in the district so she gave me all I needed to know about the district.

A career research interview isn't something I've really heard of before, but it's something I'll consider. At the very least with my subbing, that helps expose me to how different classrooms work and teachers teach.
    The first one that comes to mind is actually from my interview I had on Friday. One of the questions was "How do you use data in the classroom?" And I answered by giving an example of how I've used data in the classroom. I somewhat touched on other forms of using data in another questions. Later, when I asked one of my follow-up questions, the high school principal mentioned that they use a lot of data in their decision making for xyz. If I had known that ahead of time, I would've elaborated more on my data answer. I still feel I gave a good answer, but I could have elaborated one.

One interview asked about my lowest point. In retrospect, I should have talked about getting diagnosed with epilepsy right at the end of my senior year of high school and losing my license for a year. Instead I used the story of failing my final unit plan in a capstone education course taught by a professor who did not like me.

And I'm not practicing answering questions, but I've had several offers to. I've just chosen not to yet because I've felt comfortable.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let me start with this:

With all the evidence you have in front of you, showing to you that your interviews are not going really well, coupled with the fact that you have not been called back for a second second interview, and you still feel comfortable to the point where you feel you do not need to practice answering interview questions, that is your overconfidence speaking right there.

By now, alarm bells should have gone off, to the point, where you should be having a sit down with yourself and really look into yourself as to what is happening in your interviews. Chierro, in the very state you live, there is a teacher shortage - there are more openings, jobs available than there are teachers to fill them. And I am willing to bet the same is true in your local geographic area. This means, it should never take you the amount of interviews you have had, unless you are doing something inherently wrong.

If you did not do well in the first interview, second interview, because there are important aspects of interview preparation you did not do, something within you should have said: I need to start really preparing for them and take people up on the offers, because something is not working. The fact that you still feel comfortable is no longer a red flag - that's beyond it. After your fourth or fifth interview (the latest) you should have approached people and asked them to help you to prepare for for the next interview with a practice interview. Not even a second thought on that should be crossing your mind.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work this way Chierro. What you write, how you write it, is a reflection of you and how you approach things. Your very behaviours, attitudes to how you see world, your profession, even the schools you are applying to are going to come out in your writing. If your overconfidence is coming out here, it is coming out in the interviews. No doubt about that.

The way you also respond to suggestions in this thread shows that you are overconfident. At this point, after everything you have revealed, all the problems you have written about, the "controlled chaos" phrase for example, should not be rolling of your keyboard anymore. At this point, you should be asking the question, "do you have any suggestions on how I can change this?" "What are career research interviews, how do I arrange them?" - for example. The fact that you are not doing that, already provides insights into how you approach things.

You should not be using buzzwords in an interview. There is absolutely no need for them. If you use the buzzword, this is what the interviewers are going to remember not the fact that you can apply what you have learned in your studies. And when you use it, and at this point, I can quite easily imagine that your overconfidence is just beaming out from you - given the context of everything else you mentioned.

Looking back to an earlier post, you indicated that you have referenced some of your previous answers or points. That is another example of being overconfident.

Do you realise and internalise that you are sabotaging your own chances? You have mentioned that you could be sabotaging yourself, and that you know you are not perfect, but it does not seem to lead you to critically think about things. Because if you critically think about things and implement corrections or alternative ways of doing, saying things based on what you are discovering, you wouldn't have provided the answers you did in your last interview.

And this, is a perfect example of what your overconfidence is doing. It clouds your judgement, critical and analytical thinking skills. At this point, this should not be happening. Not at the 10th interview. At this point, you should be ready to go and provide an answer that highlights aspects of how you have used data in the classroom and emphasised that you have the knowledge and experience in using data. There is a reason why they are asking the question. If they would not use a lot of data, they wouldn't ask the question in they way they did.

So now, you have blamed the professor. That is no different than talking badly about your co-op, or about a past employer. The moment you start blaming someone, instead of taking responsibility for failing the final unit plan, and saying "this is what I have learned from it," interviewers, potential employers are going to be having a second thought as to whether they should hire you. The moment you blame someone for something that didn't go right, the employer is going to ask themselves, "is he going to blame us, if something for which the candidate needs to take responsibility, goes wrong."

I have never seen an employer coming back and offering a job to someone who blamed someone for something for which they should have taken responsibility.

Chierro, what you have mentioned in your last post, is why I said, you need to have a reset of how you approach your interviews, how you prepare for them, how you answer questions.

If you do not want to be a substitute teacher for the rest of your career, or perhaps even lose a job because you failed the performance evaluation - which can easily happen when someone walks into their job being overconfident, I strongly suggest that you start really thinking about what you are doing and how you are doing it. No ifs and buts and I didn't have the information or didn't know.

3. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to go with Mirko on the controlled chaos thing, I can't imagine any situation in any industry where an interviewer would look favorably on someone describing themselves or anything they do as chaotic. They want to know people are orderly and can be trusted to maintain full power over everything at all times. Controlled chaos sounds like one accident and it all spins out and collapses on itself in a chaotic inferno someone else has to fix.

He's giving you really awesome advice btw, this is better and more in depth than what the professional career center people told me.

4. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, so clarification again. I have sat down with someone to practice to work on my interviewing skills. That's the family friend I've mentioned, we'll call him Bob. Bob has done countless interviews and flat out told me, "You clearly know what you're doing, you just need someone to give you a chance." I went to him after my first few interviews and we sat down and practiced and worked on my answers and how I was answering things.

The times I've turned down have been my parents randomly asking me questions at dinner.
    Okay, I'll just say this...this is blatantly wrong. While, yes, there is a teacher shortage, my state is also well-known for creating teachers. This misconception of teacher shortages is that every district is hiring every position. The reality is that many districts have a lot of openings but those openings may not be in my area of certification and often are at elementary levels. Just because there are openings does not mean that those are openings I can fill. I've consistently looked at and applied to districts covering about 2/3 of my state. When there are openings that I can fill, especially in my area, I am competing with the same group of people and experienced teachers. There are only so many positions.
    These are...literally recommendations I've gotten from Bob and other people in the education field as tips for interviewing. "Give them things to remember." "Call back to previous answers when giving new answers to tie things together...such as reiterating technology used."

I don't just do these things because I think they're fun. I do these things because people in the field have literally told me to do these things.
    I do have an answer. I consistently use the same answer and have been told, "That's a good answer." I have the actual data on hand if anyone were to ask. What I meant is that I have other examples I could have used in addition if I knew they really strongly used data, but I have always been told to pick strong examples and elaborate, not bog down with just giving example upon example.
    The reason I regret using that answer is for the fact that I failed something education-related right before student teaching. One of the teachers in that interview actually asked for a little more elaboration on that specifically and I gave it to them.

The reason why that was my lowest point is because that professor is someone I had butted heads with outside of the classroom since my sophomore year on disagreements. She is someone who believes that everything she says is right and if you don't agree with her you're wrong. Early on in the semester, my boss requested I talk with her about a program about learning styles my boss asked me to put together. She was livid that I was creating something about learning styles (at my boss's request), berated my boss, demanded to know if the education professor that works closely with our office knew what I was doing (he had no reason to), and then proceeded to leave her office (with me in it) to find him and yell at him about what I was doing. I was terrified to have my class with her but I did it and frankly I did the class well.

I did the class well up until the point where she required us to be a part of her club for a sizable amount of points. And as part of that club demanded that we participate in an event being held at the exact time, day, and place as an annual event hosted by our education honor society...which I was president of and therefore did not leave my own event.

The unit plan she required required specifications that we had never done before in any class but I did it following the guidelines...only to be surprised that I failed. It wasn't my best work, I own up to that, but not failure worthy--I had followed the guidelines. When I requested to discuss my unit plan she said "I'll be out of the office, I'll leave it in my door, you can look through it." Well, she didn't...but she was there so I asked if she had it. She was irritated I came and when she gave it to me said, "I'm busy so don't even bother asking me questions because I don't have the time to answer them." So as I looked through I noticed that she literally took off little points everywhere she could. At one point she took off points for something I had. When I tried to explain it to her and show her, she responded with, "Even if I gave you those points back it wouldn't change your grade." When I tried to respond to this, she cut me off and said, "I can look through it again, but we both know how that will end." Essentially threatening to lower my grade.

To that, I left her office literally in tears and when I got home I wrote up an 8 paragraph email detailing every bit of emotional abuse I and others (because I was not alone, but others had either sucked up to her or had decided that nothing would happen if we complained) in my class received from this woman over the course of the semester and sent it to the chair of the college of education. And the chair responded sincerely in sympathy for what I went through and offered to open discussions about what I went through when the new semester started up.

So yes, I blame the professor, and I will always blame that professor. I cannot be in a room with her without becoming physically uncomfortable. She was even my advisor my senior year. I received an Outstanding Senior Award before graduating and the professor who nominated me wasn't present so I spent the entire ceremony terrified that she would be the one to give it to me. Afterwards, she came over to congratulate me and I wanted nothing more than to get away from her.
    I know he is, and, Mirko, once again, I truly appreciate you doing this because as much as you think I'm not being receptive, I am taking in what you're saying.

It's just...careers have different standards. You, as a doctor, would never use the phrase "controlled chaos" because that would not work at all in a hospital setting. But my boss on campus could easily use that to describe the office I worked in and it makes sense because our office had random stuffed animals and bean bag chairs and people in and out and so much random stuff going on that we probably looked insane most of the time but we were actually very well organized.

Teaching is a field that you can have a mix of standards depending on where you are and who you're talking to. One of my friends teaches at an elementary school in Philly and several of their coworkers have piercings and tattoos and blue hair. Then I know school districts that won't even consider you if you have a noticeable tattoo because it's a "distraction to students." Even in the hallway I did my student teaching, you had seven very drastically different styles of teaching, some (particularly our science teacher's...he was super chill) not dissimilar to mine. Like I've said, the phrase was developed after talking with Bob and describing to him typically how I teach.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For what it's worth, Mirko's career is job placement and counseling. You couldn't get better advice from a highly paid placement consultant, as this is what he does, day in and day out.

At this point, Chierro, I really don't know why you're even responding to this thread. You've got much better expertise than you are likely to find anywhere else, for free, and you're arguing with virtually every point he is making... when he has an extensive track record of helping people get hired in various difficult circumstances including impacted labor markets and challenging cultural differences.

One of my great loves in the counseling field is Choice Theory, a comprehensive framework for understanding human behavior and interaction. Too complex to go into in great detail, but one of its cores is the Four Questions:

1. What are you doing now?
    2. Is what you are doing working?
    3. If it is not working, do you want to change?
    4. If so, what change can you make to get things to work better.

From your first post, it sounds as though things are not working at all, and yet, it seems you show little to no interest in changing the strategies that do not appear to be effective, in that you are actively arguing with expertise and personalized suggestions that most people would feel really lucky and appreciative to have access to for hundreds of dollars per hour... and you're getting it for free. And for the most part, arguing with it and ignoring it.

So, while I can't speak for Mirko, it would seem that it doesn't serve much purpose to continue to try to assist you when it seems that you believe that almost everything you are doing is just fine. In which case, going back to the Four Questions, it would appear that the answer to #3 is "No, I'm not interested in meaningful change" and thus, it would seem you're left to continue with your current strategy. Which, of course, is absolutely your choice.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, you need to be memorable, and you need to tell them why they should pick you over your competition, but you also need to do it in a way that gives them a reason to call you back. From the looks of it, you are memorable, but for the wrong reasons. I can only encourage you to figure out what they are.

At this point Chierro, I don't think anything further that I will say to you, is going to help.

I wish you good luck with finding a teaching position.

@Chierro

Edit: I am going to add a few thoughts but this is how far I will go.

As said, you need to figure out what is not working, be it how you come across, what you are saying, whether you are using the right examples, or whether you need to change the terminology you are using.

As you said, every school district, every school is different; hence, you need to tailor your answers. You need to be aware that some phrases, while they might work with one school, might not work with another. Sometimes, you have to be willing to let go of something that you like, that you are comfortable with - including answers, and try reformulating answers, using different terminology that explains the same idea or concept - in particular if you see that things aren't working out.

When things don't work out, even after you had some feedback on how you answered questions or managed yourself in an interview, you need to go back and be honest and say "I'm not making progress.Can we go through the interview questions I had and the answers I provided in my last interview, to see if there is something I need to change again." One question to ask yourself as well is: "am I applying the information I have received correctly or they way it is intended?"

The moment you realise that there are questions you could have answered better, this is where you call up Bob or a friend, or ask your parents for a moment to listen to the answers you have given and your revised answers to get the further feedback.

You provided a specific example when bringing things together - technology. This is generally a safe example; but if you are doing this with other answers that might be on shaky ground, that could be problematic. In other words, the context, and how you have answered a question to which you are tying other answers will determine the success of it. Depending on how Bob meant it in terms of "calling back previous answers" it is possible that you are bringing it too much together (if that makes sense).

If you are using strong examples Chierro throughout your interview, there shouldn't be a need for you to say "I answered a part of a question somewhat" to paraphrase. The moment you get a question - it doesn't matter what question - think about the repertoire of examples you have, and try to pick the strongest one right from the beginning. With all the interviews you have had, you should be able to go through your examples and pick out the best ones keeping in mind the questions you have had - the ones that allow you to really show what you can do, what tools you have used in your classroom, etc....

If you have a handful of examples that you can use to showcase how you meet the requirements of the position, and why you are a good fit for it, there will be some overlap at some point - which will bring it together for the interviewers on its own. At the end your interview is a story about you - your accomplishments, your skills, knowledge, the insights you have gained about yourself, what you have learned from the various situations you have found yourself in, and how you applied, or would apply what you have learned in similar if not the same situations (as they relate to the position you are applying to).

In terms of blaming the professor, I can understand as to why you are feeling the way you do - but then you also have to ask yourself, 'if I do use this example, how can I explain the situation without making it potentially sound that I blame the professor?'

If you find that you have too much anger towards the professor, do not use it under any circumstances - the blame, and anger that you still have, will make themselves known, which depending on how you communicate it, and how it is perceived by the interviewers might not work in your favour - the interview preparation should already give you a good sense as to whether or not this is an example to use at all.

At the same time, there is a part that you are owning up to - if there is something you have learned from that specific piece, and you can isolate it as an example, i.e. let it stand on its own, that might be something to consider to use (if you haven't yet) for the right question.

When it comes to the competition and the availability of opportunities, and as you are receiving interview invitations with having left school just recently with very limited experience, that should already tell you something about what the situation is in your state. If you think about as to how many people could be applying to the jobs you are applying, and you are getting an interview, that it turn should tell you something as well.