1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feel awkward around my girlfriend’s housemate

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by sapphiregirl, Dec 8, 2017.

1. sapphiregirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My beautiful girlfriend and I have been dating now for about six months. She lives with one housemate (this girl is also a lesbian). When I go to my girlfriend’s house (which is maybe once or twice a week), her housemate is not always there, but when she is it’s pretty awkward. This housemate is a kind, genuine person, and it’s funny because we actually used to work at the same retail store for a few months (then she got a new job and moved). Yet, even now she doesn’t put in much effort to make conversation with me, so it’s usually just me trying to make a bit of small talk. If I don’t, the three of us are standing there in silence. I don’t know if this girl has a problem with me or not. Because she’s good friends with my girlfriend, I at least wanted to try and get along with her. It’s kind of hard when she goes quiet and makes zero effort to converse with me, though. Maybe I just shouldn’t worry about it at all. I don’t know.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww that does sound like an awkward situation. Have you spoken to your girlfriend about it?

3. mlansing

Well if she doesn't want to talk I would say just don't hang out w her if you can avoid it. Exchange pleasantries like hello how are you doing but then go to your gf's room and don't give her a second thought. Bottom line, this housemate is not your gf so I don't see any need to worry about what's bugging her.

4. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've experienced a kind of similar issue, but I won't go in detail about that. It's understandable that you get the awkward feeling, the absolute best advice I would give to you is to catch your girlfriend home alone or out of the house and just legit let her know how you're feeling, but be warned in advance, she may relay what you say to her roommate, being that they're probably good friends, and well you've not exactly been together that long. I'd definitely regardless let her know how I was feeling though, explain it to her in depth of how you feel and why, make her understand and comprehend your feelings. Maybe plan out exactly what you're gonna say or how you're going to start/approach the conversation in advance. Also, just because you should pay attention to your girlfriends response/reaction to you telling her this.