1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fearing my own triviality

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Ozma, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Ozma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A little under two months ago, one of my closest friends who I've known for multiple years and I ended up realizing our feelings for eachother, and we're now partners. However, I'm terrified it won't last. I just can't shake the fear that this is just some stupid high school relationship, and I'm too infatuated to notice it. I know that it's not, but I can't get rid of the fear. I want to stress that my partner is the love of my life, and I want to spend the rest of it with them, which we have plans to do. I know that it's real, and neither of us have any kind of ulterior motives. I've never even been in any real relationships or even kissed anyone before this (I guess I was just waiting for the right person or something), probably partly due to my distaste for those types of fickle high school couples that I fear we are. I hate sounding like some cringy Nice Guy™, but I've always hated those couples who last a month and seem to exist purely to make out in public and have sex. But I know this isn't us. We both hate PDA, and there's zero motivation beyond our love for eachother. Despite this, I'm so terrified that this will end and I'll realize that it was just some stupid trivial fling.

Sorry to rant about my own stupid anxiety.

2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should enjoy the moment and put less pressure on the relationship.

You can’t know how any relationship will turn out at the very beginning. Things change as people get to know each other, as people grow and other life events happen. For some examples, there’s a lot that you generally don’t know prior to living together, everyone changes a lot during their 20s and people get job offers and have to move away.

I don’t think that short relationships are necessarily a bad thing - better to end it and move on, than stay in a relationship that isn’t right.

Ozma likes this.