1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family thinks I'm gay (not bi), don't know how to tell them I'm dating a guy

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by skittleALY, Dec 9, 2017.

1. skittleALY

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    So I told my parents a few years ago that I liked girls. They assumed I was gay, and at the time I didn't think I wanted to date guys again anyway so I just kind of went with it? I sometimes think I'm maybe demisexual, and for probably most of my life before that I wasn't sexually attracted to guys.

I've gone out on dates with girls after that, but no relationships unfortunately. Recently however the one guy that I think I liked before coming out to my family contacted me again and I decided to give him another chance.

I think I really like him, and am not sure how to break it to my family that I'm dating a guy. I know this is a little bit different, but I guess that I'm afraid that it'll invalidate my sexual identity to them and make them think that I didn't know who I liked, when I did? Also I think that they'll be a little upset lol.

So yeah, has anyone else been in this situation or have any advice?

2. dopplershift94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey,
    Just be upfront with them and say "I have a boyfriend" or "I'm kinda seeing a guy." If they are confused, say something like "I know you thought I was gay, but I'm actually Bi." Form there, it's up to them to process and accept it.

Glitters likes this.