1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family possibly moving abroad without me

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by rudysteiner, Sep 14, 2015.

1. rudysteiner

Hey everyone,

I didn't know where to put this so I decided to stick it here. Mods feel free to move it to the correct section if I've placed it wrong.

So..

I went downstairs about 20 minutes ago, and after sitting there for a few minutes with my Mum, she says 'Can you go to a university abroad if you've got A-Levels?' and I said 'Yeah.. Why?' And she says 'Can you learn Dutch? We might be moving to Holland next year or the year after and Murphy is coming with us.' She said this in a nice way, and Murphy is our dog. I just said 'Yeah I can learn Dutch.' There wasn't much else I could say, I was a bit dumbfounded. She has always wanted to move to the Netherlands but I wouldn't of expected her to move until my little brother and sister (twins) were 18 at least. At the moment they're 13 and will be going with her.

At the moment, I'm 17, still in school and won't be going to university until I'm 20. I don't know if I'll be living with a family member or whether I'll have a flat of my own because I'll be 18 or 19 then.

Does anyone have family that have moved abroad without them, or have you moved abroad without your family?

I'm currently terrified and extremely upset which is mainly because they're taking the dog with them and I've realised that being that far away from him for that long would probably break me.
    I'd be going to visit them every break I had and was thinking about going to the Netherlands for university and have always wanted to live and work abroad but I don't know..

Any words of comfort anyone?

#1 rudysteiner, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  2. missingmouse

missingmouse Guest

I'm a little confused by your post...

From the questions your mum asked it doesn't sound like they're leaving you behind but they're trying to include you.

I imagine your younger siblings would also have to learn Dutch.

I'm sorry if I'm missing something. :frowning2:

#2 missingmouse, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2015
  3. rudysteiner

Sorry.. I was a little overwhelmed emotionally when I wrote this.

They are basically moving to Holland, next year or the year after, but I'll be staying here to finish my A-Levels, and then afterwards, I'll either go to university here and live in Holland while I'm off school (excluding weekends during term time) or go to University there and do an English taught degree.

You can just ignore this entire post especially the original post. :lol: