1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facial Feminization Surgery... What Can I Expect?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Momosboy, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Momosboy

So, for those of you who know my posts on this site, you know I'm an MTF transgender. And, let me tell you, I really enjoy being on this site! You guys are much more compassionate than some people I could name, but won't. All right, enough mushy stuff. Time to get to the main thing regarding this. I don't know where this belongs, so if it's in the wrong category, let me know.

Okay, so. I've been a T-girl secretly for a while, and while I still am, I've grown intense hatred for my M components, in particular my face, how it's changed. I had a girlish face as a boy, heart shape and all, but once puberty began... I became more pronounced as a guy. I hate this change! I really want to get the face feminization... No. I NEED to get it. However, I've been wondering a few things about it. Could someone, ANYONE help me?

How much does it cost?
    Why is it so expensive/cheap?
    Can it all happen at once?
    How long is recovery for the change?
    Will I be able to 'pass' easier?
    What about the horror stories I've heard about it?
    Will I need makeup with this change?
    Will it make my nose into a woman's nose without changing my sense of smell?
    Will I be able to make my eyes more seductive, almond shaped?
    What EXACTLY is the process of it?
    And finally, how soon after I start gender therapy can I get the FFS?

Let me know, fellow EC'ers!

Yours truly,

MB

2. Alexandra

I've not had FFS, but I know a little about plastic surgery.

The main aspects of FFS are usually as follows:
    1. Shave down the prominent brow bone to reduce the forehead slope
    2. Make the tip of the nose slant upward in the profile view. Also, shave a slight curve into the sides of the nose to give the nose a subtle hourglass shape. Your sense of smell will not be affected.
    3. Shave down the chin bone. Men frequently have a square chin, while women have a more narrow chin.
    4. Cheek implants. Men frequently have higher cheekbones that stick out farthest just below the eye. Women's cheekbones stick out a little further down the face. Small cheek implants might give the look of lower cheekbones.
    5. Jaw reduction. This is the trickiest and most dangerous part. Korea is the leader in this type of surgery, as many women there have characteristically square-shaped faces and they want to get more of a V shape. Very few surgeons are doing this in the United States, and the procedure is expensive. Many U.S. patients find it cheaper to travel to Korea for this type of surgery.
    6. A procedure called a canthopexy can give the eyes a subtle upward slope, causing them to appear more exotic and feminine.

You can find a ton more information on the web. Try googling the phrase "transition surgery".

Keep in mind: you might NOT NEED all these procedures listed above. It is important to find a trustworthy board-licensed plastic surgeon with a good reputation. If you do multiple procedures, most doctors will want to do them all at once, so you only have to go through the stress and healing process just once. Items 1 through 4 and 6 could all be completed probably in 4 hours by a good surgeon. You'd have bad, distorted swelling for the first 4 days, and you'd have black eyes for about two weeks. Item 5 is a bear, though. Also, many doctors will not touch your upper jaw if you've already had nose surgery.

On the other hand, you might not want to do all the procedures at once with one doctor. You might pick one doctor for procedure 1, and another doctor for procedure 2, etc. You'll have to wait 6 months between surgeries. This will allow you (and people around you) to get used to one change before you address another.

The cost will vary on the doctor's location and reputation. NY and LA will be the most expensive places to have surgery. But there are good doctors in other cities. Don't go with the cheapest doctor or the doctor who's closest to you. Do your research. Lots of doctors have before-and-after photos on their websites (or you can see them in the office during your visit). Also search the web for plastic surgery journal articles that discuss FFS; many times they'll have photos, too.

It's hard to predict what the cost will be. You might be able to get items 1-4 and 6 together for less than $20,000, including the separately billed costs of anesthesia and facility fees. Item 5, though, often alone costs between $40,000 - $60,000.

3. Momosboy

Thanks. I'm gonna keep this open in case anyone else has an opinion. I value all of you.

4. sguyc

I liked this site a lot and found it informative. Take a look: Virtual FFS: Home

It goes over the various procedures and what they are designed to accomplish and clears up some important misconceptions.

5. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only thing I know about it is that right after the surgery your face will probably look awful due to bruising. This will fade as you heal. You can't really know how the procedure has turned out until a couple weeks afterward.