Facebook "interested in": The poll

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LaurieAnderson, May 17, 2012.

?

How do you list your "interested in" on facebook?

1. I'm straight and I have my "interested in" filled out correctly

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  2. I'm straight and I do not have my "interested in" filled out

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. I am openly gay or bisexual and have my "interested in" filled out correctly

47 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. I am openly gay or bisexual and do not have my "interested in" filled out

35 vote(s)
    22.0%
  5. I am a closeted gay or bisexual and have my "interested in" filled out incorrectly

12 vote(s)
    7.5%
  6. I am a closeted gay or bisexual and do not have my "interested in" filled out

55 vote(s)
    34.6%
  7. I do not have facebook

7 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. BleedToLoveHer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Openly gay and it is correct on my facebook. And yes, I hate the "Like lesbian crap" on the side of my facebook. Almost all my ads are gay related. But that's probably because of the gay tv shows and celebs I "liked" as well :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. AznStriker

AznStriker Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    I left mine blank and its been like that for a while. Never been questioned about it yet.

#22 AznStriker, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  3. Mad Man L

I'm openly bisexual I have my 'interested in' filled out correctly*. I've never had a problem with getting flooded by gay ads etc.

*As per my out status, I have blocked my family (all of them) from seeing my 'interested in'. So you could count that as being "closeted and not having my 'interested in' filled out."

4. Ianthe

I think to make a determination as to whether a blank "interested in" usually indicates a closeted queer person, you would have to take a similar poll somewhere that straight people would actually answer it.

But I think most straight people have it filled out. Notice that most of us don't have it filled out--when combined, the two "not filled out" categories are larger than the "filled out correctly" category. So, if you are looking at a gay or bisexual person's profile, the most likely thing is to find that it isn't filled out.

Of course, the poll here may be sampling from a population that is more likely to be closeted, because this forum is especially aimed at people still struggling with coming out. But still.

5. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know plenty of straight friends who don't have their "interested in" filled out, but it might just be me. I've got the friends who don't give a crap about Facebook :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. shy

shy

Most of them who I think were best to know I'm gay do know, the rest I'm not making any efforts on coming out. Whoever asks will get an answer (rule with exception).
    I think my "interested in" ist set on men and women but that's not really the truth.

7. andersonh09

andersonh09 Guest

I'm lesbian and have mine filled out correctly. I'm out to friends and family and don't care who else knows.

8. Derpette

At first I had there interested in men, then I've changed it to men and women and now I don't have it filled out. I don't want to do some impetuous decision if it wouldn't be right and I wouldn't be 100% sure about that.

9. King

King Guest

I don't have Facebook anymore, but when I was 14 and came out to my mom, I didn't have my 'interested in' filled out.

10. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

I haven't gone on FB in a long time cos so much has changed in my life over the past year or so and I just lost interest in connecting with people. But if I do ever go back I'll make sure my Interested In is filled in right.

11. Travel Tech

Uh, I just never filled that part out.

12. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I used to have it blank back when I assumed I was straight. I filled it in correctly a couple of months ago.

I once got a little curious to see if any of my friends were gay/bi and I didn't know it, so I did a quick check of a bunch of their profiles. I think exactly three people had their "interested in" filled out (one gay, two straight). I admit I think I mostly looked at my nerdiest friends who don't really use Facebook, but it was still interesting.

13. Lewis

I have nothing in my interested section :/

14. Azza

Don't have it filled in, hopefully will do soon! :grin:

15. LaurieAnderson

Yeah, the biggest problem with this poll is that there are pretty much no straight people on the forum. We all want to know, perhaps especially, how often straight people do not have their "interested in" filled out.

But regardless, I still think this is both fascinating in the results so far and in people's commentary.

16. Just Passing

I'm slowly coming around to being more open with friends (and yet I still voted the penultimate option on the poll), but I refuse to modify the Interested In part of my Facebook account until I come out properly to family members, as I feel it would be dishonest to put it down on there first without telling them.

Maybe in a few months time, I'll be able to change it once I force myself to do the inevitable.

17. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have mine up with respect to my mother. She didn't want me broadcasting my being gay so I took it down, at least for now.

18. secretguyX

I'm a mostly in the closet bisexual girl, and I decided to leave it blank. Not that I really care if anyone knows that I am. But I don't want to fill it out incorrectly, because then everyone will think I'm straight, and I don't want that. But I don't want to fill it out correctly, because then my family may see it and, yeah....

19. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    its no indication imo. alot of people simply don't care enough to change their interested in status. I know for me the only reason i did it was to please someone else. kind of like a mini gift to someone who likes societal reactions as much as i do.

20. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Chose the sixth one, though it's a bit complicated. The only people I'm in touch with on FB, as of now, are online friends, pretty much all of them from a film site, but I've only come out to one of them [though if any of them asked, I would affirm it.] Anyone else I'm out to, I'm not friends with on FB for one reason or another.

So, semi-closeted? (Haha.)