Facebook attack!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by StmkBoy, Mar 5, 2011.

1. StmkBoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Awwww I am sooooo in need of advice :slight_smile:

okay, so here we go. There is this guy on facebook, he is really hot, i mean... okay, whatever. I don't know anything about him (whether he is gay or bi or anything). I kinda hesitated first but then i sent him a friend request. inside doubting that he would accept it, he surprisingly enough did, though i know he never really heard of me before.

in his profile there is no "interested in" field or anything and I am not quite sure if he is interested in me or boys anyway. so how can I find out? I don't even dare to write him a message. How could I set it up? Help me!! Please!

Give me ANY advice :slight_smile:))

greeeets!

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, how do you know him outside of Facebook? Is he in your school? A friend of friends? Work somewhere in town?

Secondly, unless there's something REALLY obvious on his profile or status updates - mentioning a girlfriend or boyfriend or finding somebody hot - then don't bother trolling it for clues. It's far too easy to start playing a game where you start assuming anything even mildly suggestive ("he mentioned American Idol! Totally gay!") is definitive, but discounting everything that points in the other direction. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. Flyers2011

I've done something similar with a girl. In fact we're talking right now lol.

When he posts a status that you can relate to, write a comment. Even if it's something like, "I feel ya bro." Eventually you guys can start talking about something. Facebook makes it so easy to find things to talk about because people put a lot of stuff out there.

Just be friendly and nice, try to crack a few jokes (I made a joke about winter and now I have a new friend lol) and be yourself. If he is gay or bi you could have a chance. If he's not, then you just gain a friend. And everyone loves friends, right?

4. StmkBoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ofc everyone loves friends :wink:

i know him from going out :slight_smile:) and i kinda stumbled upon his facebook profile. we just had eye contact (not a serious one unftly) but never change A single word :slight_smile:)

omgosh... it's just too weird. i would never accept a friend request of someone i don't know unless there is something about them. you know what i mean? why did he accept in the first place? i am confused and it feels so strange to post something on somebody's wall you don't even know xD

what should i do?!??! what do you mean lexington by "don't bother trolling it for clues"?? xD

5. Jonathan24

This EXACT thing happened to me like a week ago. It turned out he was straight, so don't get your hopes up too much.

You could ask someone who knows him and who you are out to whether he's gay/bi or straight. Also, you could still post comments and like his posts even if you don't really know him, it happens all the time on Facebook. You could try and see him again at the same place where you first saw him, and this time try to talk to him about ANYTHING. That way you could even feel less weird about chatting with him in the Facebook chat.

Hope I helped :slight_smile:

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>i would never accept a friend request of someone i don't know unless there is something about them. you know what i mean?

I guess that depends. I have two FB profiles, because I have a bit of a public profile. One is more for that, and the other is more personal. For the "public" one, I accept pretty much any and every request that comes my way, because a lot of people add me who I really don't even know. The second one - I'd have to know you to accept you.

But back to you.

If your only interaction was "eye contact", how exactly did you find him on facebook? You can't exactly run a search for "that hot guy I saw last night". :slight_smile:

>>>what do you mean lexington by "don't bother trolling it for clues"??

I wouldn't start building castles in the air. It's easy to start creating a fake persona for somebody based on second-hand information (which is what FB is, when you're dealing with somebody you don't know). Right now, just assume "he's a guy a met briefly, and I'm interested in getting to know him better". Full stop. :slight_smile:

Send him a quick friendly note. "Thanks for accepting my request. Good seeing you at (place you saw him) last night!"

Lex

7. Flyers2011

Some people just like to have a high friend count, but some can be really friendly too. Hence why they have a high friend count. He might remember you or something. I requested a 'friend' that I've only met a couple of times.

When he posts his status that you can relate to, or a photo, you could say something on that. If he's a friendly guy he'll probably reply.

8. StmkBoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I found him through a former schoolmate, on whose wall he posted something. but this one former schoolmate, i can't ask him if the one i find hot is gay or not xD it's just impossible ^^

omgosh, i just wrote him a message adressed to some other friend of mine so i can build up a "just by accident dialogue" xDD we'll see... omgosh ^^

and as for as it goes for "castles in the air" that could also be possible xDD

9. Jonathan24

Heh I like the idea :thumbsup:

Well if you can't ask anyone who knows him if he's gay/bi, I guess you'll have to get to know him and when you get close maybe ask him or something... I can't really think of any other way. Keep in mind he could very well be straight! But I hope he isn't and all works well :slight_smile:

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>omgosh, i just wrote him a message adressed to some other friend of mine so i can build up a "just by accident dialogue" xDD we'll see... omgosh ^^

I personally don't like the "games" aspect of it, but hope it works out in the end. :slight_smile:

Lex

11. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm with lex, playing games means that someone will lose, but good luck, aside from that, you could always just be forward and compliment him on a pic and see what happens

12. Makaio1

Do you share any likes with him on certain fb groups, or any sports that you both like? Common ground is always a good way to build conversations. Once you speak to this guy more, then it may become more obvious...who knows? Best of luck though, man. I've definitely been in the same position before but nothing came of it. lol.

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Lex. The "just by accident" ruse is fairly transparent to most, but if it works... more power to you. In the meantime, just try posting comments on his statuses or comments where appropriate, maybe find an area of common interest and make a comment about that, that sort of thing.