1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Face this, or die (trying)

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by hopefulhoundess, Jun 15, 2022.

1. hopefulhoundess

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The pride flag bracelet in my photo is the same one I threw across my bedroom two nights ago during a mega supernova of a panic episode, mixed with the start of suicidal thoughts. I’ve yet to put that bracelet back on. I just can’t.

I bought it a couple months ago to see if it would help me feel better or become more accepting of my sexual identity, and the fact I’m still questioning exactly where I fit on the obnoxiously cheery rainbow flag. I reside in a bustling, queer friendly city in the USA, which means I can’t escape it, and that fact has now become annoying at best.

Until two nights ago, I thought I was chugging along doing what I needed to do to figure myself out in a healthy way. I have two therapists, one of which is a sex therapist. Even my new psych nurse is gay and deals with queer issues. I went out of my comfort zone and dated 3 different women in 3 weeks, and slept with zero of them, instead of fucking away my feelings, which had been my previous M.O.

I’m a cis female, 31, and divorced from a cis man as of two years ago. We were together for 8 years. He was pretty much my entire repertoire of serious sexual experiences and (codependent) relationships.

After I split from my ex, I went through sex binges. First, I slept with a lot of men, then MF couples, including trans humans. Then I slept with more women and an AFAB non-binary human. My shame was mostly kink-related and entangled with not being good enough with my ex everywhere in our relationship, especially in bed. My biggest deepest shameful desire has been ageplay, in which I act out a young toddler girl and am punished with pain by a male authority figure, ideally a daddy, in a sex scene.

But dicks aren’t as sexy as I once accepted them to be. I started talking about this in therapy; with my sister who I’ve started confiding in; and even my last few dates. I actually really liked the last woman, and was hoping to see her again. I feel a lot of shame though, and the urge to avoid her and succumb to depression.

Again, I thought I was doing the work—and to my credit, I was. But something in my soul felt off over the last couple weeks. I went into a super productive and healthy adulting binge: paying parking tickets, washing dishes, organizing, getting prepared for my move next month, eating better, those dates, and even going to my very first queer meetup two nights ago (before the panic set in). I couldn’t pinpoint my truth until two nights ago after the queer meetup. Once I realized it, I started a tailspin (cue panic attack and throwing my pride bracelet, and then the suicidal thoughts). I had been engaging in productive avoidance instead of another sex binge.

And so, my truth is this: I DON’T WANT TO BE GAY or queer or anything else on that stupid fucking cheery rainbow flag. Thinking about it is such a burden. Why is everyone seemingly screaming about their Pride around me when I don’t even want to whisper it??

After the queer meetup, I started journaling about my hyper productive day, and how the meetup was a good sampling of humans that are like me in some “othered” way.

That journaling experience hit on a foundational crux: I’ve dealt with a lot of shit in my life, and I’ve completely rebuilt after a hospitalization for depression a year before I left my codependent marriage. The suicidal ideation at that time was due to a medication side effect that latched onto the realization that if I split from my ex, there would be no reason to continue living, by the way. During my two back to back 1.5 month long hospital stays, I lost my marketing job and went back to square one to become a dog trainer after six months on disability. I told my ex I was leaving and moved back in with my parents for two years while working in a retail pet store. I had nothing left, and not even a remote sense of self: I had taken on the identity and preferences of my ex-husband.

Fast forward, things have been going PHENOMENALLY. I’ve made so much progress, am back out on my own, working as a manager in a job I love, figuring out who I am, and even working on being social again.

But wait—NOW you’re telling me that one thing I was at one point absolutely sure of in regards to my identity—my sexual orientation—has a crack in its foundation, too? Well fuck you, God, Universe, and whatever else that might or might not be out there.

So yet again, that’s why two nights ago I was sobbing and hyperventilating so hard I almost threw up and began questioning whether I can make it through something so big without cutting or killing myself—again.

Today was a little better, mostly because I’ve become pretty disconnected from myself and my emotions. Last night, I re-started up another one of my medications (to aid my antidepressant and mood stabilizer) that I had recently gotten off because I’d been doing so well (and due to side effects).

I know I need to deal with my sexuality, because if I don’t, it might just kill me. So here I am on this Empty Closets forum, taking a step, doing something I can control that will hopefully help me along this next season of my life journey. One day I pray I can decide that I do, in fact, have self-worth; that I can navigate this; that I can be loved and valued by myself and others; and that whatever I do or don’t label myself, I might just be able to but that damned bracelet back on, because it’s just a bracelet after all, not a rainbow monster.

I have to believe my sexuality and coming out eventually will be just one other thing I will have overcome. So keep going, kid. You can do this. Go on, give your inner child a hug. She needs to know her struggles were worth it. Remember how she grew up despite everything and navigated it all. Every. Single. Time.

Hi everyone. I’m queer something—not sure exactly what I want to call it yet—but I want to know in my heart of hearts that I still deserve to survive, live, and thrive.

Thanks for reading.

2. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You do you , whoever and whatever that may be and know that that person is good enough as is.

3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hopefulhoundess.....Hello and a great big LGBTQIA+ welcome to Empty Closets! :old_smile: I can remember the first post that I made on EC. I was desperate for help and I got the help that night that I so needed. I hope that we can help you in the same way that I received help. The most important thing to remember about Empty Closets is that we do care about you! We're very glad that you found us here on EC and hope that we can answer questions, give you support and provide a place to vent (as long as it's not violent!) :old_big_grin: when that becomes necessary!

*****Wow! You've given us a lot to think about.I don't think that you expect a response to everything that you have said...I think most of it was a chance for you to vent a lot of what was on your heart. Empty Closets is a good place for that. I know that I've done exactly that a number of times here on EC. Sometimes you just need to say everything that's on your heart and get it out there so it's not constantly dragging you down as much. EC is a great place to look for suggestions, help and just a place to vent when you need it! :old_mad: There are over 90,000 members here on EC, so somewhere out there in all those members is someone who has been through something at least a little similar to what you've experienced. It helps to know that you are not alone!
    Please feel free to vent again at anytime you feel like it! :old_big_grin: I really do hope that we can give you a hand in dealing with the problems that you are facing. I had my own experience with suicidal thoughts and came very close to actually carrying them out. Fortunately the wonderful people here on Empty Closets were there for me on the night of my final crisis and helped me to see that I was worth so much more than I thought I was at that time. I have been ever so thankful since that night for the wonderful years that I have had since then! I don't think I'm qualified to help out with most of the things you've mentioned, but I can welcome you and let you know that you are so very welcome here and that we do care about you and consider you to be a part of our family! :old_wink: Please consider yourself to have received a very big HUG! The rest of this post is some info about navigating around certain parts of Empty Closets...hope that they help out:

*****There are 18 different sub-forums here that you can check out and join in the conversations or start your own thread/conversation. When you have made at least 10 posts on various threads you will be able to post messages on a member's Profile Page. Just click on a member's Avatar Picture and then click on "Profile Page" in the dialogue box that pops up. You'll then be on their Profile Page and there will be a box that says: "Write Something" When you have been on EC for a few weeks and have made at least 50 posts on various forums, you can apply for Full Membership. A Full Member can send Private Messages (PM) to other Full Members and share personal contact info. Right now you can only send a PM to a Staff Member as that is always possible. Here is a quote from the Full Membership information forum: :old_cool:

*****To be eligible you must be a member of Empty Closets for a minimum of two weeks, and have a minimum of 50 posts. These posts must be across numerous forums (Fun & Games does not contribute to post count), and consistently posted across a minimum of two weeks. You wouldn't be eligible, for example, if you registered, had no activity for two weeks, and then returned to post 50 times on your 14th day of membership.

*****Well, as I said, we're very glad you found us! :old_rolleyes: If you have any questions at all, you can post a question on my Profile Page or send me a Private Message.

.....David :gay_pride_flag:

#3 quebec, Jun 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
  4. Prisma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're supposed to be here. You don't have to figure it out all at once. You do have worth and know how to talk to yourself real nice. I'm glad you're hopeful.

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC, it can be really hard navigating everything that life throws up but everyone has value even if you cant see it right now. I am sure EC can help you.

6. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Welcome to the EC family

7. hopefulhoundess

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks all . Grateful to have somewhere to turn to. I’m scared of when I start feeling again, but I’ll remember I can use EC as a channel for that.