1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Explaining Being Trans To My Brother?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sauce, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Sauce

I wouldn't feel the need to tell my brother I was transgender, but he lives in the same house as me and if I want my parents to use my pronouns and name, I'm going to have to explain it to him since he is nearly always around.

I cannot have my parents explain it to him; they don't fully understand it themselves, and having them do it also seems like the spineless thing to do.

Rambling aside, I need to figure out how to explain it simply and concisely, without making it sound like my newest fad. He's dealing with some issues himself, though, so it can't be... too intense.

As far as I know, he doesn't know what transgender means, he's 13 years old, and quite hot headed.

Does anybody have advice for situations like this?

2. HeyThereAlex

I'm in a kind of same situation, but my brother is 19 and is transphobic instead, but I wanna tell him about it because it feels wrong to keep it from him.

But my advice for you is to maybe sit down together with your parents and talk about it with him?