1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evolution vs Creationism

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gibson234, Jul 16, 2013.

?

Which do you believe?

1. Evolution

94 vote(s)
    89.5%
  2. Don't know

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Creationism

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. LinkLarkin

Haha right on. Religion and animal rights are my buzz topics. I can have a fairly sensible, civilised debate about other things (although if my opponent becomes more forceful then I often rise to join them), but when it comes to those two topics I just go off the rails very quickly.

2. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No one has posted this yet?
    [​IMG]

Also I'm not putting out what I think.

3. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Evolution.

Though it's bizarre: The US has among the highest % of people on earth who'd rather believe in creationism among developed nations, and even compared to many less developed ones.

People sure love to thump those bibles here.

4. BelleLey

BelleLey Guest

Evolution that's all there is

5. Yohoshi2013

Yohoshi2013 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sadly I can't even vote as I believe in both Creationism and Evolution. I believe that God (the creationism) created all, thus evolution (science) is sourced back to him. He basically rolled the dice (I.E. universe creation) and let it all keep progressing, while he continues to monitor/edit things all the time. Why isn't there a 'both' option on the poll? This poll (just my personal opinion) seems to be geared towards a continuation of division among those of science and those of God. Anyone else agree with that?

6. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is by defintion a division between science and those of God. As to believe in God requires faith which is the opposite of the Scientific method. Does there need to be conflict? No as the two should have different objectives. Ones about knowledge and the other's about ... (I'm not sure but people of faith seem to). However I apologize I should have put young Earth Creationism.

7. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
  9. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  10. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^
    (although I am religious, but I do believe in evolutionism over creationism.)

11. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How would you revise these articles?

12. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    By stating that if you want to prove god first you must define exaculty what he is first?

13. MixedNutz

Professor : You are a Christian, aren’t you, son?

Student : Yes, sir.

Professor: So, you believe in GOD?

Student : Absolutely, sir.

Professor : Is GOD good?

Student : Sure.

Professor: Is GOD all powerful?

Student : Yes.

Professor: My brother died of cancer even though he prayed to GOD to heal him. Most of us would attempt to help others who are ill. But GOD didn’t. How is this GOD good then? Hmm?
    (Student was silent.)

Professor: You can’t answer, can you? Let’s start again, young fella. Is GOD good?

Professor: Is satan good?

Student : No.

Professor: Where does satan come from?

Student : From … GOD …

Professor: That’s right. Tell me son, is there evil in this world?

Professor: Evil is everywhere, isn’t it ? And GOD did make everything. Correct?

Student : Yes

Professor: So who created evil ?
    (Student did not answer.)

Professor: Is there sickness? Immorality? Hatred? Ugliness? All these terrible things exist in the world, don’t they?

Student : Yes, sir.

Professor: So, who created them ?
    (Student had no answer.)

Professor: Science says you have 5 Senses you use to identify and observe the world around you. Tell me, son, have you ever seen GOD?

Student : No, sir.

Professor: Tell us if you have ever heard your GOD?

Student : No , sir.

Professor: Have you ever felt your GOD, tasted your GOD, smell your GOD? Have you ever had any sensory perception of GOD for that matter?

Student : No, sir. I’m afraid I haven’t.

Professor: Yet you still believe in Him?

Professor : According to Empirical, Testable, Demonstrable Protocol, Science says your GOD doesn’t exist. What do you say to that, son?

Student : Nothing. I only have my faith.

Professor: Yes, faith. And that is the problem Science has.

Student : Professor, is there such a thing as heat?

Professor: Yes.

Student : And is there such a thing as cold?

Professor: Yes.
    Student : No, sir. There isn’t.
    (The lecture theatre became very quiet with this turn of events.)

Student : Sir, you can have lots of heat, even more heat, superheat, mega heat, white heat, a little heat or no heat. But we don’t have anything called cold. We can hit 458 degrees below zero which is no heat, but we can’t go any further after that. There is no such thing as cold. Cold is only a word we use to describe the absence of heat. We cannot measure cold. Heat is energy. Cold is not the opposite of heat, sir, just the absence of it.
    (There was pin-drop silence in the lecture theater.)

Student : What about darkness, Professor? Is there such a thing as darkness?

Professor: Yes. What is night if there isn’t darkness?

Student : You’re wrong again, sir. Darkness is the absence of something. You can have low light, normal light, bright light, flashing light. But if you have no light constantly, you have nothing and its called darkness, isn’t it? In reality, darkness isn’t. If it is, were you would be able to make darkness darker, wouldn’t you?

Professor: So what is the point you are making, young man?

Student : Sir, my point is your philosophical premise is flawed.

Professor: Flawed ? Can you explain how?

Student : Sir, you are working on the premise of duality. You argue there is life and then there is death, a good GOD and a bad GOD. You are viewing the concept of GOD as something finite, something we can measure. Sir, Science can’t even explain a thought. It uses electricity and magnetism, but has never seen, much less fully understood either one. To view death as the opposite of life is to be ignorant of the fact that death cannot exist as a substantive thing. Death is not the opposite of life: just the absence of it. Now tell me, Professor, do you teach your students that they evolved from a monkey?

Professor: If you are referring to the natural evolutionary process, yes, of course, I do.

Student : Have you ever observed evolution with your own eyes, sir?
    (The Professor shook his head with a smile, beginning to realize where the argument was going.)

Student : Since no one has ever observed the process of evolution at work and cannot even prove that this process is an on-going endeavor. Are you not teaching your opinion, sir? Are you not a scientist but a preacher?
    (The class was in uproar.)

Student : Is there anyone in the class who has ever seen the Professor’s brain?
    (The class broke out into laughter.)

Student : Is there anyone here who has ever heard the Professor’s brain, felt it, touched or smelt it? No one appears to have done so. So, according to the established Rules of Empirical, Stable, Demonstrable Protocol, Science says that you have no brain, sir. With all due respect, sir, how do we then trust your lectures, sir?
    (The room was silent. The Professor stared at the student, his face unfathomable.)

Professor: I guess you’ll have to take them on faith, son.

Student : That is it sir… Exactly ! The link between man and GOD is FAITH. That is all that keeps things alive and moving.

That student was Albert Einstein.

14. LinkLarkin

^ I didn't plan to respond to that story with anything other than a :bang:, but once I got to the end I found one point I just couldn't stop myself from jumping up on.

Einstein? Really? Einstein was born Jewish and later turned agnostic. The fact that a non-Christian would be associated with a story about a Christian kind of calls the whole thing into repute. I won't even pass further comment on the validity of the rest of it because I hope my sensible brethren will be able to harshly criticise the premises invoked by themselves without my intervention, but the claim that Einstein made that argument is demonstrably false.

15. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "That student was Albert Einstein"
    Albert Einstein was at most a pan theist. When he said "Does god play dice" he is using the word god to mean nature. Also we don't have to see the Professor's Brain to know it exists because we have seen it's effects. Same with Evolution. It's not about observing things with your 5 senses (there are actually more than 5 senses but never mind) but whether or not you have evidence for your claims. There is evidence for the professor's brain such as his movements and pervious experiences of finding brains in Humans but there is no evidence for god. God can't be all-loving and all-powerful as there is evil in the world and I don't understand how heat and cold and lightness and darkness say otherwise.

16. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am troubled that nine people voted for creationism.

17. Ridiculous

It certainly wasn't Albert Einstein and that never happened. The whole thing is obviously thought up by an idiot with a dictionary, because anyone with a scrap of knowledge can see right through what they are doing (or trying to do).

Because I'm not going to waste my time dealing with it myself, you can read this instead http://www.snopes.com/religion/einstein.asp

18. LinkLarkin

:eusa_clap