1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encouragement

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pgc317, Mar 29, 2015.

1. pgc317

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I will be visiting a friend at the college I will be attending this fall on Saturday. We've been friends since I was in elementary school, so we have a long history. Right now, only two people know I'm gay, but she isn't one of them -- yet.

I was recently looking at LGBT resources at that university and they have a program called Safe Zone made up of LGBT allies. They listed the names of the members and I saw my friend's name on the list. I wasn't surprised because she is very liberal and open minded. One of her best friends from high school is also gay. I know that if I told her, she would be fine with it.

So, I just need some words of encouragement to help me find the courage to do it. This is also significant because I have never actually come out to anyone in person. Both of the people that know now I told by late night texting. So since it would be my first face to face coming out, I am extra nervous. This hadn't even crossed my mind until I saw her name on that list and I felt compelled to tell her. It's just... weird? I don't know. I can't really see myself actually going through with this, but hopefully you guys can help me make this leap of faith!

Thanks in advance for any positive thoughts and well wishes!

2. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you've got this!!!! Might I ask what university?

3. AfraidandAlone

well i just told my best friend today and it felt sooo good. if you know she is supportive and is a lgbt allie then you really shouldnt have any worries at all about what she will say or how she will react.

4. pgc317

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    University of Richmond @Purp

5. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ooooo, very nice! I'm out in the mountains at Tech.

---------- Post added 29th Mar 2015 at 11:11 PM ----------

Richmond is pretty friendly!

6. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course you should tell her. She will obviously be fine with it, as you already know, and should be able to introduce you to some other people who will also be fine with it, so you will have a circle of support when you arrive at the university in the Fall. If you want to break the ice ahead of time, you can tell her before you get there, or at least tell her something that will lead her to expect you are going to come out to her in person when you get there, so she can have something appropriate lined up for you when you get there. There is nothing really "weird" about telling her, and as long as the two of you have been friends, she may already expect that you will eventually come out as gay, so this will be an easy one for both of you, and will allow you to begin college with your authentic identity and a circle of friends, not in the closet.

7. headie2infinity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Oh small world I live in Richmond and am attending J. Sarge for the Nursing program!

That being said good luck I think by telling your friend she could provide a ton of support too you since she is a member!!

---------- Post added 30th Mar 2015 at 09:17 AM ----------

Also Richmond is sooo friendly to the LGBT community! Lived here all my life :slight_smile:

8. Wildside

Wildside Guest

it sounds like you haven't had any problem telling others by text. any reason you couldn't tell her about it that way as well, so that when you see her you'll already be over the hard part?