1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Empty Closets' Messages Forwarded to Cell Phones

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Wired106, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Wired106

Hey everyone, I was thinking about something I thought would be an awesome addition to the website. Do you think it would be possible to forward thread/forum messages, wall messages, and private messages from this site to personal cell phones as text messages? Similar to how Facebook notifies people by sending them a text message when someone adds them as a friend or comments on their wall. I know this site would receive a larger volume of people just because of this. More people would be connected to the site because they'll want to respond right away and be in touch with everyone- exactly like Facebook. I don't know about everyone else on here, but when I receive a message from Facebook on my cell, I immediately log onto my account and respond/comment. This might have been discussed in a previous thread. This is just a random idea that I thought would be pretty cool. Another idea, which I know has been discussed in the past is an Empty Closets application for smartphones. The other day, I read online that recently, smartphone sales have been skyrocketing--so having an app in the future might be pretty cool as well. I'm sure Empty Closets could set up a pay-pal and we could donate small contributions to it if we can :slight_smile: Anyways, just an idea I had :slight_smile:

2. x2x2x2x2y2

While I'm not really crazy about an app, I do like having the ability to get notified through text when I get a message. I have the same thing through twitter and use it a lot.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as I know, EC displays quite well on smartphone browsers as is, so it's hard to see what the value of a specific app would be.

As for phone notification, you should be able to set up a gmail account to "push" notifications to another email address, or to configure your smartphone to check a gmail account. If you push a notification, all major US cell providers allow you to email directly to their SMS text gateway, so, for example, you could set your gmail account to forward any message from EC to [email protected] (I know that one because I use it, but the other carriers have the same deal) and it will show up as a text. Or, you could just set your EC contact email to be your phone's SMS gateway address.

If there's something I'm missing in what you're asking for, please clarify, but it sounds like the resources for both things you're asking for already exist.