1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emotionally Desperate

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by unknown18, Apr 13, 2018.

1. unknown18

Firstly, I'd just like to apologise for the amount of times I've posted about this but I feel I need to vent out my thoughts once more because this is getting very bad.

So my depression has gotten worse recently and I've started turning to drugs because it allows me to feel something 'new' and 'different' for a while. I'm either having suicidal thoughts or I'm thinking about him and how everything would be so much better with him. This has been going on for literally months and I think I might just be going insane... Do I tell him, do I not?

As always, any responses are greatly appreciated.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

The very first thing you need to do is work on the mental health issues. I hope that you understand that depression + drug use is totally playing with fire, and will lead to a severe addiction if it has not already. If you are comfortable sharing, what drugs are you currently using, and how frequently?

3. unknown18

I dont have an addiction. I'm 16 and this night I took LSD. As I write this sentence I feel as though I'm going mad. It's not what you think it is. Whatever the media show you, you have no idea.

4. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have background and training in the mental health and chemical dependency field, and have worked in treatment centers, which is why I asked. So my viewpoint isn't from the media, but from working with those who are affected, as well as those who run treatment centers and programs.

That said, LSD is generally not a drug of addiction, and if you're talking about a single use, that's less of a concern. But using *any* recreational drug as a means of dealing with uncomfortable feelings is a huge danger sign that does, in most cases, lead to dependency. Using more than one increases risk, and using drugs more than one further increases risk. All of this, combined with your age and the pre-existing depression, put you at severe risk for problems that are exponentially worse than the depression itself.

It's also worth noting that at your age, all emotions tend to be more intense, and less controllable, than they are when people have passed adolescence. So the feelings will eventually pass. That isn't much help now, but it is something you can attach yourself to when you think about self-harming.

What is your relationship like with your parents? close friends? Have you considered talking to your parents or to school counselors about getting help from a counselor or therapist? The depth of the feelings you are having may be beyond what you can resolve yourself, and the risk of numbing with recreational drugs is, in your situation, not one that you would be wise to take. This means getting professional help. That might sound scary or not an option, but it's one of those things that thinking about it is, for most people, a lot scarier than actually doing the work once you're started in it.

What do you think about exploring that idea?

Humbly Me likes this.
  5. unknown18

I tried hypnotherapy and that was very temporary for my anxiety issues. I just feel like I'm a huge pain in the backside for my parents to have to deal with. (Yeah I know, they love me and bla bla bla). That being said, having gone through that almost spiritual experience of LSD (which was both a beautiful and horrific trip) I feel very refreshed and almost enlightened in a way which was exactly why I came to that drug in the first place. What a spectacular drug, seriously, our society has too much of a negative view (or perhaps unexplored view) on certain drugs.

#5 unknown18, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  6. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hypnosis and psychotherapy are completely different things.

Hypnosis when done by a psychologist or mental health professional with training in clinical hypnosis vs. someone who just does hypnosis but has no mental health training are also completely different things; the latter generally does only have short-term effects because the mental health professional uses it as one tool in combination with other interventions, which someone trained only in hypnosis cannot do.

It's problematic that you consider it a burden to talk with your parents about what's going on for you. Feeling like that's a burden is... not healthy. A major part of parental responsibility is helping their children deal with the ups and downs of life, and that includes depression or anxiety. So I would suggest that you need to work through asking for help, and my guess is that if you do sit down and talk with them about this, and let them know that you need to see a therapist... hopefully they will work with you to make that happen. There are even low or no-cost ways of getting therapy in most parts of the world.

There is actually some pretty good research on the use of hallucinogenics of various types in treatment of mental illness, and some promising reports from it when done in clinical settings supervised by mental health professionals with experience working with hallucinogens. But self-diagnosis and self-treatment is never a good idea for a whole variety of reasons, not the least of which is you never know exactly what you're getting no matter how reliable your source, and the risks of adulteration or even getting something entirely different from what you thought are real. I would strongly encourage you to stop taking this approach and get appropriate help.

#6 Chip, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018