1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eating Disorders in the LGBT Community

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PlantSoul, Apr 12, 2018.

1. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Have you ever struggled with an eating disorder or do you know another person in the community who has? I'm currently recovering from anorexia. I have struggled with anorexia a few other times in my life and have had weird eating behaviors since childhood. This lead me to wonder how common this is in the community. I'm also wondering if you've been diagnosed. I wasn't allowed to tell my doctors growing up.

#1 PlantSoul, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  2. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't know if it counts as an eating disorder, but I instinctively overeat when I'm sad, which was basically every day for most of my childhood. I obviously got fat from it, which just made the depression worse and caused more overeating because of the new sadness over being fat.

Top weight of 350 pounds. It was not fun being the fat kid. Lost most of the weight though, so things have gotten a lot better.

3. Bi and emo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was about in 2nd or 3rd grade. I developed anorexia . I was 49 lbs in the 3rnd grade . I am in the 7 the grade and fully recovered . just last summer my doctor said I was fully recovered from anorexia !! I battle depression , anxiety and ADHD but I'm a fighter. And to any one else who has an eating disorder you are beautiful and awesome. Don't let the size of your jeans define you !! You are beautiful no matter what !! And we ( the ltbgq+ family ) love you and think you are beautiful !!

4. Silver Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have struggled and still struggle with anorexia and purging (gross, I know). It’s an on and off thing. Started at 14, so I wasn’t terribly young. But I was always pretty thin until about that age. Once I hit my teens, I put on some wieght, and it only took a couple mean comments for me to decided no one would ever be able to call me fat again. I always feel as though I’m weak for allowing my self worth to be taken from me so easily, but to this day I have a weight that I will not allow myself to exceed and weigh myself often. If I start getting close, I can’t help but slip back into old habits.

5. Rhyan7

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i am currently dealing with eating and how i look. having slight gender dysphoria doesn't help with trying to be comfortable in your own body. i lost 20kg in a year (the most being 5kg in a month) i can't purge, which i hate ( i have Nissen fundoplication, i can't vomit basically) but i have tried to. i tend to not eat all day until late at night when everyone is asleep because then no one sees me eat. i don't like eating around people. i hope this helps somehow