1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Dyke" Haircut

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jordash, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Jordash

Alrighty, so I just asked my mom for a haircut, I want one that's kinda "choppy" and "spikey" but still kinda fluffy in the front. When I showed her the picture of what I wanted she freaked out on me and told me to stop being a dyke! *Sigh* Anyone else ever had this kinda issue when getting a haircut?

2. starfish

I wouldn't call that a dyke haircut. I would call it a lazy haircut. A lot of women's hairstyles are a lot of work. I wouldn't blame anyone for now wanting to do it.

3. KatKut

Could you show us an example? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mom was nervous about me getting my hair cut. Then I told her that I wanted it to be easier to take care of.

5. secretguyX

Well, I don't have this problem myself (I love my long hair :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), but just tell her that you want some change in your life, and would be happier with yourself if you had shorter hair. There's plenty of girls with short hair who are straight anyways, it doesn't make you a "dyke". She may think it's a mistake, but hey, it's your life. Do what you want. :icon_bigg

6. Jessica816

About a year or so ago I was trying to figure who I was and what my "look" was going to be. I cut off my extremely long hair and got a faux hawk...People freaked out! I loved it for awhile. Of course people made rude comments, my brothers started calling me there other brother Jeffrey. Oh and a few called me "Baby dyke". It annoyed me sure but I didn't let it get me to upset because it was something I wanted and did

7. Deaf Not Blind

hmmm... i want to get mine cut, but do NOT want anybody to think Im a girl lesbian or dyke. Im transgender, and i actually think my shoulder length hair looks like a lot of guys at my college, but i am going to a more conservative area in DC, and well...they have this tradition...many people shave to bald! haha! I can't see that happening only because i got a big knot on my head from a knock from a metal bar, and i will look stupid.
    so, um, any of you got pix of good, cute, guy haircuts for me?

8. secretguyX

I surely could find you some pics of haircuts that I would like on guys. :icon_bigg What type of hairstyle/look are you going for?

9. when i cut all my hair off once when i wa around 15, it wasnt for me. told my mum, she looked at me and said 'no you dont want that'. since then i weirdly still tell her my haircut style if its going to change, she never approves... but its my hair.

my hair has always been long since i was 16 but if i came home with it all shaved off/boyish style i think she might cry. i think she can accept the fact that i 'dont look stereotypically gay' so it helps her with the acceptance of me if we go out together cuz no one stares and is thinking like 'omg lezza'. however if i were to become butch (not saying short hair = butch), i think she would have mad issues.

get what haircut you want it is your hair!
    dont live your life through other people :slight_smile:

10. anonymous1

Yeah I have my hair cut short too. Not dyke but short. It looks very similar to this. And just to clarify that is NOT ME. [​IMG]

11. Caoimhe Fayre

wow, did you get upset with her for that? I take it you are not out, or if you are, she is not 100% accepting just yet?

besides: one, not all lesbians have short hair, and two, not all women with short hair are lesbians.

I hope you were able to get your hair cut however you wanted to. It would probably look perfect for you.

Once a hairdresser tried to dissuade me from getting my hair cut too short, she said I didn't have the facial structure to pull it off (and I'm talking "short" as in just past my chin, so still a very girly style) and so I was dissuaded. years later, feeling a bit braver, I got it done - and it is the best style I have ever tried, I love it. can't believe I let someone else talk me out of going with my own gut as far as my personal appearance goes.

of course, if you're under her roof and she's got power over you, you could be stuck for now. :/

12. Debra

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I know what you mean. I've had my hair long for most of my life, and a dozen years ago now, but it to my shoulder (about that length at least, more or less) then a month or so ago, decided to go for a short cut (I couldn't stand the long hair anymore, and wanted to be taken seriously (people often think I look younger than my age, and the haircut wasn't helping) Everyone was really surprised, but no one I talked to before doing it tried to dissuade me (though for once, I probably would have fought through their arguments)

Things you can expect from having your hair shorter, from my experience: shorter shampoo time (=shorter showers, which is a win if, like me, you have trouble getting ready on time), getting called 'Sir' (ok, that happened to me once. Very odd. And I was wearing a skirt that day. Guess that person hadn't noticed. She was all apologies once I started speaking though, and it's not a bad memory, but sure is an odd feeling).

Also, warning on hair gel, if you want something spiky. I tried that. And if you do this one day, sleep, then expect it to look as good the same day: it might. then again, it might not and half your hair can be folded at an odd angle. (which makes the whole 'getting ready' timing rather hard) ^^

After seeing my new haircut, I had a lesbian friend of mine calling it 'dyke hair', as a compliment though. Hadn't really seen it like that until then. But I still don't regret my choice. A haircut on its own is unlikely to out you though, especially anything like the example you posted
    As Caoimhe Fayre said:
    I think what motivates this kind of decision is also whether you really want to change how you look, and have a sort of a fresh start. Even if the length difference isn't that big, it's going to be a change, and sometimes it's all we need to start something anew.

Whichever you decide, good luck :slight_smile:

13. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

-First off let me say that I think you would look good with short hair...

-Secondly: My mother refuses to let me cut my hair past my shoulders, she keeps saying "What do you want to be butch?" or what seems to be her personal fav. "So you wanna walk around looking like your sister?"...If it isn't obvious we don't really get along with my sister...Regardless what you choose to do with your hair has no reflection on your sexuality. As others have said lots of straight women have short hair, and a lot of lesbians have long hair. Maybe if you try to explain it to your mother like this maybe she will understand it more..

14. Deaf Not Blind

:slight_smile:

summer coming, my hair right now is about shoulder length. i think more about jaw length is fine. (when i put my hair back, i look so much like my grampa and his brothers when they were in their teens it is weird. haha! my gramma always noticed how much l look like him. ) i think some of the styles now that have a messy windblown slightly ends curled up look would look okay on me, and not look absolutely like i am trying to look like a man, i think a female could possibly wear it and not get too many looks.
    i just want cute, cuz I'm going to a new school and don't want to look ugly.
    if you want, I got pix recent of me on here, you can friend me to see them i think, and if that helps to know if you think it works??

THANKS! :grin:

---------- Post added 4th Jun 2012 at 08:46 PM ----------

Too bad, as that girl is hot! :wink:
    Get the hair pins too! You will not look at all like a dyke, just well, pretty. *grin*

---------- Post added 4th Jun 2012 at 08:51 PM ----------

Yep, when I was in 1st grade I got my hair cut real short, but I told the woman no bangs. Did she listen? NOPE! Ugly big thick things. I asked her why she disobeyed my orders! She said she just thought I would look cuter with them. UGH! Never had much luck with hairstylists. Those women always seem to think what ya want is wrong, and what they do is perfect. Must be the artist in them? :/

PS. I like your Bible quotes. It makes me feel good. :slight_smile:

15. GayJay

my mum was the same. We had a hairdresser coming the next day and i told her i was going to get one part on the side of my hair shaved and the other side cut pretty short. She freaked out a lot too! And started yelling at me to stop acting out for attention because i was not gay.
    So i went and did it myself. Got the shavers and scissors and just did it. She hates it but i told her she cannot control how my hair looks cause i'm not a child any more! It's not the best way to go about it. haha i hardly ever see her so i guess that makes it easier.
    Every time i see her my hair has gone a little shorter.
    But think about it before you do it. Like the amount of time it will take to grow back if you don't like it. I shaved mine right down to being bald now i want it a little longer! haha o well!

16. Sayu

My mum is alright with my short haircuts. But she didn't let me to shave my head lol :grin: But I admit that it was really a stupid idea xD Now I have a "dykey" haircut - something like this, but even shorter.

17. GayJay

That's a awesome haircut. Am gonna use this picture next time am getting my hair done cause it's what i wanna go for. i shaved mine at the side so need to wait for it to grow ack a little bit before i do though :frowning2:

18. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm waiting on the reaction from my parents to the haircut I got yesterday. I didn't really get any length taken off, but they did thin out the back. My hair is down about to my shoulders in the back, and they took some length off the front. It doesn't look like a mullet anymore. I'm not out to them about being bi, being unsure about my body.

19. Deaf Not Blind

i never liked guys or girls in mullets. i do think that pix Sayu chose is cool. looks real classy. :slight_smile:

20. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Grrrr.... My parents just left my house a little bit ago, and my mom is still saying I need my hair cut. It's like she didn't even notice that it's not so thick.