1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Door to door righteousness

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by otc877, Sep 6, 2008.

1. otc877

otc877 Guest

So, I just had a young married couple come to my door and try to persuade me to vote against the overturn on gay marriage and to amend to constitution to state marriage is between a man and a woman.

I can't believe how angry that made me, I literally started to shake.
    Conversation went as follows... rough paraphrasing...
    Them: *Introduces themselves* "Do you vote?"
    me: "Yes"
    "Have you heard of Proposition 8?"
    "Yes"
    "And, how are you going to vote on the issue?"
    "How are you trying to persuade me?"
    "Well, Proposition 8 will amend to constitution to state that Marriage is between a man and a woman, we're trying to convince you to vote for it."
    "You can have a nice day." *Closes door*

So, it's true. They have started going door to door to cleanse California.

2. Psychedelic Bookmarks

That must have been a nasty experience. Congratulations for staying polite. Try not to let it shake you, they're just bigots. :slight_smile: (*hug*)

3. Trumpetplyer23

Wow.

That's a bit extreme to try and get people to vote for it.

Don't let it get to you though, some people will be bigots, and others won't be. You just have to deal with the bigots.

4. Tim

Tim

Yep, posted a while back they came to my door lol I thought it was centralized down south, but apparently they are up here too -.-

Quoting from other thread:

5. Derek the Wolf

Wow, that's not right. They shouldn't be pressing their opinions on others. Ergh, I hate preaching in all its forms.

6. Emberstone

there will always be bigotied hate mongerers who feel the need to control any and everything in existance. I treat them the same way I treat those stupid phone surveys.

what they dont want to figure out is the fact that jesus said we are not to listen to leviticus as it is not valid or how we are suposed to live out life as a chirstian. beyond that, it has been proven that the whole point of leviticus was that there were those who at the time it was written belived that it wasnt cheating on their spouses if it was someone of the same gender as them. something biblical scholers have been pointing out for ages, but the fundementalist continue to try to hide the fakes.

7. -Michael-

oh no you dih-int.
    *clicks fingers and bobs head *

8. Pixbadgirl

I'm sorry this happened to you but you handled it very well. You should be proud of yourself for your maturity. Remember that people like that are beneath you. Ignorant people should be prevented from expressing their bigoted opinions in public... expecially door-to-door. It's the price we pay for 'freedom of speech'.

9. Master Hade

Master Hade Guest

i have always wanted this to happen to me so i can do somthing awesome with it...... so many devious ideas! like talk to them for ever.. just keep talking to them asking for material then at then end go by the way i gay!

10. lcr guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, isn't that what most people think about activist judges legislating from the bench, circumventing the voice and vote of the people?

11. Noah

Wow, for once I kind of disagree with you guys. Not about proposition 8 obviously, but about the door-to-door. You seemed genuinely shocked that they would go door to door about gay marriage, and you don't want it pushed in your face. At the same time, wouldn't any of us go door to door to save gay marriage? Those people (I'm around them way to much), are misguided. I don't have a problem with their going door to door just like everyone else. Am I psycho? Maybe im just in a good mood...

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

No you are not psycho, I agree with you. There is going to be people going door to door in favor of Proposition 8 also and they have the same right to do that. If you guys encouter these people and you are free to do so, invite them in and tell them about your life. You never know, it just may make a difference.

13. Noah

Good... I'm not psycho (!)

14. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    :roflmao: EXCELLENT IDEA!

15. Jeimuzu

I can't resist it. I get the urge to start preaching. Every time someone does something like that to me, I just go all ninja-theology on their punk mofo collective assness.

Mind you, I'd rather just go with a very literal interpretation of 'throwing the book at them', and possibly show them just how literal 'foot-in-mouth' can be.

16. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Wow, that must have been annoying! But yeah, free speech and all has that side-effect...

But I think you dealt with it well, although I agree that next time you should invite them in and keep them out of circulation!!

17. Nitro

Cut from the same cloth we are. However I would even go a step further and try to convert them (while maintaining the facade of being neutral).

Or you could have a little fun. Here are a few ideas (feel free to steal):
    - ask them why you should not be allowed to marry (before telling them you are gay)
    - serve them some nice thick tea in tea cups that depict homo erotic scenes in the bottom of each cup (glup!)
    - traditional marriage is the foundation of western civilization because ... why? Homosexuality is present in several hundred species (most of them more complex life forms such as primates, dolphins, zebras). Should not homosexuality be encouraged (in moderation) as a foundation of life itself
    - tell them that you need their help with a dilemma. See this crazy man in town preaches false teachings and according to Deuteronomy 13 (yes, the whole chapter is very explicit in this point) you are morally obliged to kill him. Ask them if it would be following in the footsteps of Jesus, seeing that he only spared an adulteress (sexual crime in leviticus) and not an agent of deception from the true path to God's love. Have copies of the bible ready and take all day reading them together.
    - revoking the rights of same-sex marriage?! ask them where they got such a daft idea. Then jest that other groups should have their rights to marry revoked such as straight atheists/Jews etc. Actually, be sure to use the Jews as an example because of how taboo anti-semitism has gotten these days
    - tell them that they aren't real à la crazy semi-delusional person

Have fun!

18. Brija

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, yes. But most people don't realize the job of a judge isn't to uphold the voice and vote of the people. Their job is to uphold the constitution and determine the constitutionality of laws.

19. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The only people who really irk me are the ones who go on pushing themselves on you AFTER they find out you're gay. The rest are minor annoyances.

20. EM68

My parents signed a petition in MA to put a ban on gay marriage a couple of years ago. A few weeks later my mother's friend, who's son is gay and married (lives in MA) found out. Her friend confronted my mom and both got into a heated argument. Both were crying at the end. They wound up making up and never talked about it again.

A month ago my mom's friend died and we both went to the funeral. I was able to reconnect with him and we have sent a couple of emails since. Last night my mom and I had dinner together and she mentioned about her friend. She then said she regretted signing the the petition not because she is in favor of gay marriage, but because she did not want to hurt her friend. My mom feels that gay marriage is wrong because "it was not the intent of the scripture". She did say that his partner is nice. but she could not call him his spouse or husband. I am not out to anyone in my family and when she brings it up (every time she talks about her friend) it stresses me out.