1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does "poor grammar" cause communication issues or bother you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Feb 14, 2014.

1. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually will always notice if someone spells something incorrectly. I won't say anything though. If there's someone who has a lot of typos or uses a lot of symbols I'll just skip over the post. I try to do the best I can when I text or type but I'm using an iPad and my iPhone so it doesn't always put what I'm trying to.

2. Cygne

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's all about context, in my opinion. When casually chatting with friends in my native language, I may write very sloppily, while my writing is way tidier in forum discussion, as well as in assignments for school and the like, and I expect people to be on about the same level as I in those environments.

3. justjade

Poor grammar is un-fucking-acceptable. Yes, I went there. I cannot stand it when I get a text where every single word is abbreviated. Unless you're phone is from the '90's, it's got a full keyboard. There are no excuses anymore.

As a product of an elementary and junior high school career of private education, the atrocious grammar and spelling that I encountered when I transferred to public school in the 10th grade just astounded me. I hate it when my coworkers are sending a text and ask me how to spell words like "cuddling" and then someone jumps in and spells it C-U-T-L-I-N-G. What the fuck is that?! :tantrum:

However, I fully understand that in literature, "poor" grammar and spelling have their place. For instance, if you're writing from the perspective of someone who has a heavy accent or speech impediment or who doesn't speak overly eloquently, it must be illustrated for the purpose of establishing a character and his/her/their role and background.