1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does everyone have a gender expression?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by starmotive, Nov 14, 2019.

1. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey y'all,

With it being Trans Awareness Week, I've been seeing lots of posts about gender expression and I was wondering whether this term only applies to trans people or whether everyone has a gender expression?

I am a cis female and identify as gay. Am I allowed to say that my gender expression leans more to the androgynous/male side if my gender identity is female?

-A confused girl thanks you for any input!

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone has a “gender expression”, it’s not a “trans-only” term. You have your own gender identity and gender expression. Identity is internal, what you feel you were meant to be, or what you are, most people’s gender identity lines up with what they were assigned at birth. Expression is the external, what clothes you wear, etc. how you express yourself to the world.

Of course you’re allowed to say you have a masculine/androgynous expression and still be female. Expression does not equal identity.

3. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I almost think of it more as self-expression. You are expressing who you are and how you want to be viewed as.

starmotive likes this.
  4. Regaen

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gender expression is for everyone. I'm androgynous, but that doesn't mean that I don't have a gender, my gender is Androgyne. If you are, say, a female, and you feel female, then your GE just matches the outside. You just might not think about it in those terms, is all.

starmotive likes this.
  5. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the input y'all! I spoke about it with my therapist and she told me about the genderbread person...which blew my mind lol