1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Anyone Think That Gay Pride Parades Just Perpetuate The 'Gay' Stereotypes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tazz, Mar 8, 2009.

?

I Believe Gay Pride

1. Helps our cause

37.0%
  2. Negates our cause

32.5%
  3. No opinion/undecided

30.5%
  1. Alright, to be fair if there are people getting offended by this thread then I think as other people will say just stay away from it.

2. Markio

Yes. :rolleyes:

3. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Oh no of course I didn't aim that at everybody, it was directly aimed at you, or to put it bluntly the people who go on so much about pride, making wild accusations without having first hand experience.
    You my friend have your head firmly planted in the sand :roflmao:

4. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I don't see the harm in having 2 separate gay parade things. I actually think that might be a good idea.

5. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

:wink: Let's not forget it's a Mod's job to censor posts. Everyone is free to combat opinions in a civilized manner. And for the most part, he may just not see that he is offending some people. I don't really take offense to much of what he said but that may be because I'm still somewhat homophobic. Don't forget, EC is a welcoming place. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: As another gay guy, you should help him learn understanding, if not acceptance.

I know there was a time I'd say the same things he would. Hell, I used to hate gay people. But not much anymore. I look at them differently now. :slight_smile:Lets make him feel welcome! Wouldn't want a member to go away because he felt unwanted, excommuned, or outcast from a society that preaches diversity, understanding, and love? (Ew i said that word again)

6. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

You do have a point with the 60 year old man in a leather thong. Regardless of the gay theme, I personally think that's inappropriate. That kind of stuff belongs in bars, again, in my opinion. If the Straight PRides have people doin the same, then I'd still think the same. Its kinda gross...well, to me.

I don't think he was calling you a conformist either. Its like some chick said in a movie: Back in the old times, the only way women were noticed were if they were bad...or something along those lines. I think they meant because they were being controlled by a man that they took notice and made change. :wink: I think hes trying to say you cant sit idly and do nothing to expect change.

7. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Oh, to the further the leather thong thing: I am not saying they should be barred but I think they're inappropriate. Or rather, what is the point? What does going out in the public in a leather thong show? Is it a negative or positive impact and implications? What does it say? To me, it says sex. And I don't think that helps their 'cause'.

8. tazz

tazz Guest

I really don't believe that anti-gay pride == homophobia

See...that's what I'm saying

...but each time I did people thought I was some homophobic anti-gay conformist who wanted everyone to wear a suit&tie reciting poems with ukulele's playing in the background.

9. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Lol It's an uphill battle Tazz. :wink: And I also believe the first sentence you made about anti-gay pride == homophobia. It's true, and I support what you said...so if I said something different, it was probably on accident.

10. Joey if it bothers you, don't read it.

11. Nixon

It stereotypes us into crossdressers no offense but seriously I find it embarassing

12. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty convinced that would make matters worse. The non-flamboyant one would get zero coverage, or get covered as a generic civil rights thing, and the media would claim that the "real" gay pride was the other one, which you just made all about drag queens and leather daddies.

13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Wouldn't it be nice if we just stopped trying to explain ourselves, apologize and be done with this?

And admit defeat? Are you INSANE, child? :slight_smile:

Lex

14. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

That's what I thought. :wink:

15. tazz

tazz Guest

Well the fact that there would be something else positively contributing to the cause then that's good enough for me. Earlier I compared it to MLK...imagine if instead of his suit&tie he wore a propeller hat, leather pants, no shirt...and then decided to make his speech? That would obviously get a TON more publicity...but the question remains on how people would have perceived that message? Would that have accurately reflected how most black people are?

When people start noticing the large numbers in that 'second' kind of parade they'll start to see how there's little to no difference between us and them...how all those people marching are just after equal rights and are proud of who they are...as opposed to seeing the alternative; which is what, leather daddies, drags, bodybuildings in pink underwear?

I accept your apology

16. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

The i came from a quote. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: That's cheatin'!

17. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

See, to me this still sounds a lot like assuming that it's "the good gays" fighting the good fight, while "the bad gays" are just in it to indulge their lascivious libidinous urges without caring for what damage they wreak.
    I keep reading out that last sentence in your post aloud, but I can't make it come out without a sort of "phuh!" sound at the end.

I'd be all for a more solemn gay equal rights march, with MLK-like speeches etc. but not if that means we have to split up the normal gay prides.

18. Janvier

[​IMG]
    What is this idiotic 'us vs them' mentality??
    We're ALL in this together, there's enough hate against us already..
    What's wrong with flamboyant guys?

Come back when you're a little more open minded...

19. olides84

Well, I doubt that'll happen since he got banned :icon_wink

20. Janvier

Wow, so I see..
    Well, nevermind then :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: