1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone here like cryptos?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BadGamer, May 29, 2018.

1. BadGamer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know it’s a real bloodbath right now but there has to be a few of you who are interested in this. Lately I’ve been looking at tron but I’m still undecided on it. What coins do you think have real potential?

2. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    None.

I have some background in economics (I'm toying with the idea of actually studying economics just for funsies). Crypto is... absurd. Many things in economics are absurd, but cryptocurrencies are particularly so. They will last until there's a panic and a run on one of them. Actually -- as far as I know, there's no way to get out of crypto; as far as I know no exchange will pay millions of dollars if asked to.

Even if crypto had actual backing of some kind (say, if you could pay taxes with it, for example), there are many reasons why they aren't a good idea, at least as currencies. Take the best known one, Bitcoin; there can't be more than 21 million bitcoins, ever. That makes BTC inherently (and extremely) deflationary, and therefore useless as a currency even in the best case (as spending BTC would always be a bad deal, then, no one ever would.) Plus, BTC transactions are computationally intensive and slow by design.

3. BadGamer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I understand that not everyone likes them and that it’s probably a bubble that will burst eventually. I think it is interesting though and that some have potential, especially the government backed ones. Most of them are terrible however and I wouldn’t make any long term investments in those ones.

4. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Government-backed crypto... as in Venezuela?