1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone get freaked out when they hear their voice on a recording

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Kamina

Yea, I sound... really childish. Like maybe around 10? It's creepy. XD

2. KnownSecret

I never liked to hear my voice.. I like the way it sounds to me haha I hate the way my voice sounds in a recording! I haven't recorded my voice in a long time because I hate the way it sounds :/ haha but whatever! No one seems to have an issue with it but me hahaha

3. srslywtf

Actually I've been playing with video + sound recording myself for a few months.. I'm the opposite.

I've always unnaturally lowered my voice/tried to sound less liek I cared... but now I hear it on recordings and I much prefer it if it is raised to its natural level.

I guess some could construe it as sounding more 'gay'. But I dont mind anymore.

Getting out of the habit that is so heavily ingrained in me though is hard.. and when you catch yourself mid-sentence, it must sound bizarre to toher people when you just start talking differently hahaha.

4. My recorded voice, and my phone voice sounds very deep. Not a bad thing since I can impersonate my dad by adding an accent LOL My voice just sounds deeper through recording.

5. AlamoCity

Yeah, I think my voice is deeper than it is. That said, I unconsciously have a "speech mode" voice that I use when I have presentations and give "formal" speeches. It does sound a bit deeper, but that's not how I usually speak.

6. SooConfusedRN

when i hear myself on recording i sound like i have an american accent or i sound like i have a blocked nose it's awful :eek:

7. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to get freaked out by the recording of my voice but not anymore. So many recordings and listening to myself has made me get used to it.

8. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I hate my voice when I hear it played back in any sort of recording. I get really self-conscious (because I think I sound so weird) and tell myself I'll talk less than I already do from now on so that people won't have to hear my weird voice haha.

What's just as bad as hearing a recording is hearing echoes/feedback when I'm on the phone. Sometimes, I would say something, and my voice echoes back and I hear myself. Then I'm thinking that that can't possibly be how I sound since it's so different in my head.

9. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :dry: I do not like the sound of my own voice. Or maybe I'm not used to it...

10. VelvetEYES

I don't like listening to recordings of myself, watching videos of myself, or taking pictures of myself for that matter. My voice is kind of strange and husky and I don't care for it at all which I also mentioned in an earlier post.

11. srslywtf

Alot of it is just about getting used to it. As for video, people do NOT act naturally on a video when you see them and think they look 'normal' - theres alot of learnt behaviour going on there. Since watching myself on video I'm staarrrting to pick this up, but I always forget.

Something I forgot to mention, the reason your voice sounds different to you than everyone else/in a recording, is because you are hearing the reverberations through your jaw/skull which alter the character of the sound.

12. Harve

I may just have exactly that accent you're talking about... idk, check my post in the other thread. The Peak part of Derbyshire's accent is kinda 'lispy' anyway.