Doctor who fans?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Nocturnal, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

Weeping angels creeped me out. I like it thought. Wibbely wobbley. Timey wimey. xD

2. rg93

Although I'm not sure what was creepier, the angles or the "are you my mummy?" kids. :eek:

All I know is that someone has to feed me the next season right now! :icon_bigg I want Dr. Who back soon. :slight_smile: Any idea on when it starts off again? The wiki says august 2012. :confused:

3. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    September 1st in the UK.

4. rg93

I'll see if I can somehow survive until then :icon_bigg I'm such a Dr. Who junkie.

5. brocub

A friend of mine got me hooked on the show and now I'm more obsessed than her. I've watched all of the adventures of 9, 10, and 11 (albeit I haven't read the comics or the novels), and I've seen all of 1's adventures that weren't junked (so I didn't get to experience much of Katarina, Sara, or Dodo). I'm on to watching the 2nd Doctor now, but so many of his first few adventures with Polly and Ben have been junked so it feels like there's no point.

6. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

Do you think doctor who will air in the states?

Glad you like doctor who! The ones I've seen are just the revival. 9,10,11

7. brocub

Try BBC America or PBS. They apparently will be airing the new series at some point. Or just check online.

8. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

Oh, okay. Thanks. :slight_smile:

9. ImpossibleSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I started watching this show a few years ago and have since been hooked. My favorite doctor is definitely David Tennant and my favorite episode is The Unicorn and the Wasp (the Doctor and Donna meet Agatha Christie, one of my favorite authors (it also happens to have two gay characters who are having a secret relationship)). I'd really like to see the original series too, but I still have some catching up to do with the 11th Doctor.

10. rg93

I liked the Agatha Christie episode as well. I bet that's what actually happened to her when she went missing for a while :grin:

11. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

I recently re-watched "The Impossible Planet". :grin:

12. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can we just...
    [​IMG]

Oswin exploding was the most emotional I've been about a DW death/exit since Donna and she had, what, 25 mins of screen time? So far, she is an amazing character but how the hell is Moffat going to get out of the fact that he turned her into a dalek then blew her up? (the first person to mention reverse timelines, Susan, or Jenny gets a slap).

13. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, Karen Gillan made an appearance in the Fires of Pompeii episode so I've been thinking they might just play it off like that.
    I'm definitely interested to see how they do it if that's not the case, though.
    I really really love Jenna-Louise already, though.

14. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Freema Agyeman was in an earlier episode as well, but neither of them were in the same season they were introduced so I don't really think the situations are related. Moffat has something planned, and her appearance in this episode is significant for some reason; just think about the lengths they went to keeping it under wraps. I've heard a lot of 'twin' talk on the internet because the character was announced as being called Clara Oswin, but I think that's too cheesy/predictable, and just generally stupid to be it. They're going to get around her death somehow, but I'm not sure how. Oswin is a genius though, so in theory, anything is possible. She might have escaped the planet and found a way to restore her human body.

Meanwhile they still HAVEN'T BLOODY EXPLAINED WHY THE TARID EXPLODED.

15. everett

Here! Here! Here!

16. blightedsight

Jenna Louise Coleman was chosen as the new companion before casting for Asylum of the Daleks was done, which means it's not a coincidence that she is in that episode.

Now, as to how she can be a Dalek that was destroyed as well as a companion, we're talking about a show runner known for his timey wimey.
    Also, lets not forget that a big part of the story was the deletion of memory of The Doctor from the Daleks. When you factor in time travel and timey wimey, one could posit a theory that includes DalekOswin's deletion going back in time rather than just the present. This could easily be explained as history catching up with the present, hence The Daleks in the current time line having memory of The Doctor until after DalekOswin deletes it because that would be time catching up on itself. Now, why would DalekOswin not recall the Doctor, or indeed Oswin herself, well, thats simple. The converted Oswin clearly was blocking things out, so thats a simple matter of her forgetting her life with the Doctor at a previous time period.

However, thats a bit too River Song for me, and, well, while I know that Moffat has a tendancy to have fantastic ideas, then repeat them and dilute them, I still don't think this is what will happen, I just posit it as a theory.

What I believe will happen is The Doctor will travel back in time and meet an ancester of Oswin, with the intention of planting something within her that will be passed down, perhaps genetically, so that Oswin can of the future can retain her self while being converted.

Now for the rest of the episode, I must say I loved it while viewing but a few things bothered me when I finished.

The Rory/Amy divorce. It just felt like a cheap way to add more angst to the episode. For anyone who has seen the Pond Life shorts online, they'll already have known that Amy kicked Rory out, but if you do watch those shorts, the problem is that she kicks him out far too fast.
    Now, we learn that it was because she can't have kids and was doing it for Rory. That would be a selfless thing to do, were it not for the fact that the previous year was ALL ABOUT THEIR CHILD!!!
    OK, so River didn't grow up with adult Amy and Rory, but they still have a child and they still have memories of her as a child because she grew up with them.
    Also, why the heck wouldn't Amy talk to The Doctor about her infertility as he might be able to help.

Then there was the "remember" stuff. I think that was more important than was let on. The Doctor told Amy to "remember" BEFORE she was sent to the planet, but there was no specific reason to then, near the end, Oswin had a "remember" moment that was pointedly said to the screen.

No idea what it's about, but I wonder if it relates to the cracks - which would also relate to the TARDIS exploding.

Thats all for now.

17. Bree

Just started watching it a couple months ago! I'm in love!!!

18. MusicIsLife

I wanna comment on all this but I dont know how to make a cut text?

19. Salazar

I thought the last season was a bit crap, but last nights episode was really good.

20. Music Beat

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have never watched it but i'm told it's good. Seems that all BBC endorsed things are. I think Doctor who is BBC endorsed inset it?