1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do your family members know that you're gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kosygin, Aug 1, 2014.

1. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They probably all believe that I am. I even had relatives to question/accuse me being a lesbian when I was kid. I bet that I am still sounding off alarm bells in their head due to my seemingly lack of interest in guys (yet, they keep trying to push me to get to know some), my insisting that I don't want any kids, and my penchant towards men's fashions.

2. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm sure my brother suspects. He's seen me on EC and I refuse to believe that he hasn't looked it up.

Otherwise nobody really. I'm planning on coming out to my dad some time.

3. littlemonster11

I don't think they suspect if I'm not straight. But, my mom, sister, and brother like to joke around and say my best friend is my girlfriend. Not sure if my mom is in a way trying to find out whether or not I'm gay. So, I'm not really sure, but I'm gonna assume no.

4. the haunted

Both of my parents, my brother, my aunt (don't know if she told my uncle), and my other uncle. If the other were to ask I'd tell them, but sometimes it's just more trouble than it's worth. Unless I bring a girl to Thanksgiving it wouldn't matter anyways haha.

5. Pink Noise

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've only told a few of my friends that I'm bi. None of my family know, though I've toyed with the idea of telling my mum, but I've decided against it for the time being.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to come out to my dad and his side of the family. There's quite a bit of homophobia and I'd rather they continue to think that I'm straight as a board.

6. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

My family knows but we kind of avoid the subject but I just wanted to tell them that I was gay, not tell them I was sleeping with some guy haha cx (which I'm not!) but I think my grandpa is either accepting or judge mental of my sexuality when we went to California he didn't stop calling me a faggot haha it kinda made me smile because he would joke around about it but I think yesterday I surprised him. When he got home and I was helping my grandma paint the ceiling in the kitchen(I'm 5'12) and moving around the furniture and stuff because I think he thought that because I was gay I didn't like to do things that an elderly woman need help with but my grandmother isn't that old. I helped out for like six hours!!! But today I helped instal his kitchen sink and I think again I surprised him. After we finished I said "so that you can see that I still will help you despite, being ME" he just smiled but I think he understood :slight_smile:

7. mangotree

I don't know anyone who doesn't know.
    So... everyone, including extended and honorary family members.

8. MissRanger

MissRanger Guest

Two of my relatives know that I'm a lesbian and some have suspicions whether or not I am. I had an incident once where I left a lesbian movie in my computer and that's where the suspicions started but luckily for me I got away with it lol I don't think I could come out to my family or the rest of the world yet. I'm still in high school living under the roof of my parents. In my current situation, coming out is not even an option. Bullies are abundance in high school and there are chances my parents are going to disown me. As soon as I become an adult I would love to be open about it.

9. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My sister knows because I told her. I haven't told my brother, but my sister told me he strongly suspects (as in 95% sure) that I am gay. Even though my brother probably knows I won't confirm it for him since he will almost certainly tell my parents and others (my brother would have no problem outing me if I pissed him off for any slight reason).

My parents do not know and I'm not planning on telling them until next summer.

10. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Mom, Dad, Sister, One of my Aunts/Her Kids.

11. SomeLeviathan

My parents definitely do. I'm sure they told my sister, but if they haven't, I'm sure she's picked up on it :v

My brother probably knows as well, for the same reasons my sister would.

12. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My family knows but they are the last ones I told

13. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No one in my family knows.

14. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No one in my family knows. I know my brother would be accepting, but my sister is questionable. My dad's side of the family will probably be okay. I have a married lesbian cousin so that helps. I almost told a few of them this week when they were talking about their suspicions that a distant relative might be a lesbian and saying things like, "Whatever makes her happy."

My mom's side of the family is heavily Catholic and conservative. I do plan to tell them I'm bi eventually, but only once I'm moved out, financially stable, and have the option to never speak to any of them again.

15. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

Only my sister does. :x Sometimes it feels like my Mom hints at knowing but I haven't told her or my little brother yet.

16. Jwis

My parents and brother know. No issues there. My extended family does not know. Like most that is where things get complicated.

Most of my extend family are extremely bigoted towards anything/anyone who is not Christan, white, and a member of the Tea Party. So I don't think that I will be coming out to any of them any time soon. Good news is (and I use that in a special context, it will still be a sad event) my family is mostly older 70's+. My mom was the youngest of 9 children, and I am the youngest of her 3 kids. So there is a huge age gap between me and my eldest uncles.

On the other hand I have some extended family whom is extremely accepting. I even have a cousin who's long term girlfriend who works for the HRC. I will probably come out to them as I see fit.

17. TheStormInside

Nope. Back in high school one of my brothers asked me if I was bisexual and I told him "no" because even I didn't get it at the time, so he may be less surprised than others. I think both of my brothers will be ok with it eventually, one of them may be more awkward about it than the other. J is likely not to give a crap (he's the one that asked before) because that's just how he is. T is harder to judge, he's very introverted like me and doesn't express his views much, but I think even if he feels weird about it at first he'll eventually be ok. Parents will likely have a bit of a freakout. My father will be angry or go into denial, my mother is harder to peg, but I expect a lot of anxiety from her but hopefully a little more acceptance. Extended family is confusing and sensitive territory. They're all very European in a way, but many of them are also very very Catholic, so it's a little hard to discern how they may react.

I'm not really ready to come out to family for awhile, I will eventually do so with my nuclear family. I need to come out to friends first, and to become more secure with myself, as I expect negative reactions from my parents. They may with time come around, but it will likely be messy at first. Extended family I think I would have to ask advice on. I do have one cousin who I know would be accepting, she also asked me if I liked girls way back when, and if I feel like I need/want to come out to the extended family I'd probably have to ask her how she thinks it would go over before doing so.

#37 TheStormInside, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  18. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, thanks. It has been a bit tough to find a same sex relationship, versus an opposite sex one, though its only been a month since I've been out so I'm guessing it will take awhile.

19. PaganPoetry

Most of my mom's side of the family knows, and even those that don't know will probably be very accepting of me because I've just had the luck of being in a family with a lot of open minded people....I never met my father so I wouldn't know how his family is, and my used to be stepdad (the father of one of my sisters) does not know about me being gay nor do I want him to know because he has done homophobic things and the rest of his family are just very religious people that think Ricky Martin was sent by the devil....luckily I only live with my mom and sisters, and they are very supportive of me (my 15yr old sis knows but not my 7 yr old one)

20. BelleFromHell

Some, but most of my extended family is clueless. Most of them are conservatives, so... not a good idea.