1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think we will ever have a gay president?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by mildmannered, Feb 18, 2013.

?

Do you think we will ever have a gay/lesbian president?

1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Distant future, prehaps?

55 vote(s)
    47.0%
  1. madi

seeing how we have only had one president who wasn't a protestant and he was a catholic and was assasinated(JFK). I think it will be quite a while. I hope we will, but we haven't even had a Jewish or female president yet and only just elected a black president.

2. Femme

The changing demographics might make it less likely. With the growing Hispanic population, they are mostly Christians from conservative churches that are anti-gay. Same with the growing African-American population.

I don't think this will happen in my lifetime.

3. Jacek

I'm a Canadian but I think you guys will! I mean think about 50 years ago a black or a female president would have been unthinkable. So 50 years from now (or less) I wouldn't be surprised to see an openly gay pres.

4. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    haha, yeah Foucault is awesome [stalinism is still a rad theory tho :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:]

5. Ridiculous

Given that only about 5-10% of the population is gay, and a US president lasts for 4 years (often 8) then I don't think it is very likely you'll be getting a gay president unless we look at a time period of about 150-200 years. In that period there will be about 30 new presidents, so just by average population proportions one or two of them would probably be gay.

And hopefully by then you'll have changed your political system :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

In our lifetimes we'll only see between 10 and 15 new presidents, so it isn't likely that we'll see it, especially when you factor in social prejudice.

6. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    In 40-50 years I imagine American society will have become tolerant enough to possibly elect a gay president. Whether one gets elected or not could depend. We've had a Native American Vice President (in the 1920s!) and almost had a Jewish Vice President despite both of these groups being just as tiny minorities, so the small size of the demographic does not make it impossible. Of course, being possible is not the same thing as happening, depending on who runs and who wins there could be no gay president for a century or more, or there could be several.

7. Openly- Maybe, but probably not within the next 10 years.

Closeted- Probably already have.

8. Jordane

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He I believe so. I think maybe a little bit after we get rights in the states then we could see a gay president

9. Rivers

I believe that within the next decade, we'll have a female, Asian, or Hispanic president. Hopefully, we can have a gay one in the next century. I always tell people that society is changing to fit the needs of gay people, and I genuinely think that it is. :grin:

10. burg

why did he make the pro corruption act or something?just dont know what your refering to sorry.

11. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    He helped to create the spoils system Plus he violated the separation of powers to allow an ethnic cleansing, and he messed up the economy as well.

12. burg

err might have to change my position on jackson after reading bout spoils system.still glad he killed the first bank of america tho .

13. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The conservativeness of both of these groups is greatly exaggerated by conservatives, and both groups are growing more liberal as time goes on like the rest of society.

14. May have happened already if rumors of Lincoln are true x3

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people say things will never change. I never thought we'd have a black president, but Obama's close enough for the commendation. The times, they are a changin'. Gay will eventually not even be a stigma, almost like how people were weirded out because JFK was Catholic.

16. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    But many Hispanics are leaning Democratic now, and African Americans will never vote Republican whether the candidate representing the Democrats is gay or not.

---------- Post added 21st Feb 2013 at 01:38 AM ----------

Agreed.

I'm a Republican, but it's not difficult to see that the hardcore right wingers are delusional if they think a large majority of Hispanics or African Americans will vote for them any time soon.

The electoral map also undoubtedly favors Democrats right now, though it could (hopefully) change in 2016.

#56 Mike92, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  17. cityofangels

cityofangels Guest

I definately think we will get a gay president at some point, but I think it will probably be about 50 years down the road. There is an openly gay senator that was elected in 2012 so it's highly probable.

18. BudderMC

Maybe once people learn that there's more to politics and solving national/global problems than one's sexuality.

19. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that African Americans could vote for Republicans after changes of policy positions.

I'm not sure I'd say undoubtedly. I'm very discouraged by the fact that we live in a center-right country, and I am very saddened by what I take to be the serious ethical wrongness of it. However, the Democrats did well because of the unfortunate timing of comments related to sexual assault and subtle changes in demographics. I feel like the Republicans could turn things around for themselves by 2016, but they really have to start now, because 2014 will be the watershed moment for them, and that's only next year.

20. unknownjourney

Probably , but he will probably hide in a white closet :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: