1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think biphobia from people within the LGBT community is unacceptable ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Night

Night Guest

I don't understand the implications that because I'm LGBT I'm automatically supposed to be non-judgemental and all-loving.

Obviously biphobia isn't "okay" but some people just are biphobic, including LGT people, and it's their business. Shaming people because of their opinions is ridiculous.

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Judgments can be person-specific. One can even say they've typically had negative experiences, numbers wise, with certain groups of people. There is nothing wrong with that. If a gay guy were to meet a bi guy who was friendly and his interest was strictly platonic, and he wasn't interested, the reason would hopefully be a lack of interpersonal chemistry and not the fact that the guy is bisexual. In some cases, gay men move in circles that are tight-knit and closed loops, so the bi guy may not fit in and they spare themselves of that hiccup. It's personal prerogative, but I can't say I'm crazy about it.

3. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ...It's already hard enough to find LGBT people who are out; limiting your friendships because you dislike bisexuals is rude and pointless.

4. Silver Sparrow

Yup, biphobia is absolutely unacceptable. There are plenty of people who are monogamous and plenty of people who will cheat. Doesn't matter the sexuality.

5. 2112

I don't understand why it's hard for some people to understand. It's simple: some people like the opposite sex, some like the same sex, some like both. It's extremely hypocritical for a gay person to say that people are intolerant or homophobic while saying that bisexuals are just confused or sluts.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, it is unacceptable, and because of the biphobia I have experienced here on EC and out in the world, I now have screening questions for gay men if I'm dating...

7. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Biphobia from anyone, LGBT or not, is unacceptable. And as for why people are so cruel to bisexuals? My guess is that because some think that most bisexuals use bisexuality as a "cover-up" for being gay and, as such, assume that these bisexuals are still insecure about their sexuality and therefore easy targets for ridicule.

8. Split Arrows

Absolutely it is.
    It's most aggravating when someone asks, "why don't you just pick a side?" I want to scream at them, "I wish I could"!!!!

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think a better rejoinder would be "you know, you're right. I will. I'll just date bisexuals instead."

10. Split Arrows

I would, but don't you know that we are all cheaters and can't be trusted? :icon_wink

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    But then we're just cheaters dating other cheaters, so it's okay.

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The most challenging part is when your physical and emotional preferences may not be calibrated, like scales that are in balance. To that, some people have said "you're in denial," "work on it," and "it will come." And you folks know this? With certainty? I'll admit there's some ambivalence in some bi folks, but it isn't to deliberately hurt or disappoint anyone, or to avoid allying or labeling themselves ... in a manner that may be inaccurate.

13. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Biphobia from anybody is unnacceptable. ._.

14. yidnah87

Absolutely unacceptable. Kind of like how homophobia and transphobia are unacceptable.

15. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good point. I honestly think that most bi folks would be indignant that there is discrimination, and phobia, toward GLT folks.

16. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely. It's fucking unacceptable to see any form of phobia in our community. We're a family. We're supposed to look out for each other, not be dicks. Biphobia pisses me off. Homophobia pisses me off. Transphobia pisses me of.

Anyone that supports any form of bigotry in our damn group needs to check themselves. Support your fellow bisexuals already, people!

17. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Why does this even have to be debated? The suffix "-phobia" shouldn't apply anywhere within and pertaining to the LGBT community, as well as outside of it.

18. Ardelia

Ardelia Guest

It's unacceptable. Period.

19. Incognito10

There is all sorts of judgement even within the LGBT community. I am sure we're all well aware of the gay men who bash other gay men who are effeminate or not masculine enough. I was part of a forum that had a small LGBT section and every once and while you get the guy who comes in and says, "Why do they have to act like that? It makes us all look bad." Being of a minority does not exempt you from discrimination within that community apparently.

20. photoguy93

I think it's a bit too much to label it all as biphobia. I've had conversations with other members about this.....

I try to be open and loving to everyone. Personally, my biggest issue is that I have seen my bisexual friends living both sides of the isle and how easy it seems for them. One of my friends In particular is bi. She's got a boyfriend right now. She loves him and all is well.

I'm very sorry if anyone thinks I'm a big evil person for being jealous. That's just how I've seen it.

I am not scared of her. I am not afraid of her. I am not afraid of any bisexual person (unless someone walked in covered in spiders and was wearing a gas mask and said they were bisexual...then yes, I would be.)

Again, this is just my personal situation. For those of you who have had people leave you because they were worried about cheating, then yes, I see your point. I'm just voicing my own opinions. :slight_smile: