1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think Affirmative Action should be applicable to men in college?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Simple Thoughts, Sep 28, 2015.

?

Should Affirmative Action be used to help men in College?

1. Yes absolutely!

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Probably, but I'd need to do more reasearch

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. I'm indifferent

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  4. I don't know enough about the issue

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  5. Probably not

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  6. Definitely not

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  7. No it's not meant for privileged groups

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  8. What's Affirmative Action? @.@

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, boo, hoo.

The poor 'lil white man who has ruled this nation for (almost) it's entire history.

Cry me a fuckin' river.

2. Simple Thoughts

2 things

1.) Where is everyone getting "white" from? This literally has nothing to do with race. Are all men now white? =/

2.) History is just that, history. It has no barings on the now, and revenge or just plain pettiness like you're displaying here only serve to sending history on a crash course to repeating itself.

I'll never understand the complete lack of sympathy.

This is why I can't stand judging people on things like race and gender. You wind up picking one group to be 'bad' based on w/e bs argument ( In this case argument from history ) you scrapped together and then you dehumanize that group to the point where you start showing glee and happiness when that group faces any hardships at all.

It's the same story on infinite repeat and it frustrates me how human beings are so damn incapable of getting their acts together.

I wonder how many people see white straight men and immediately assume they are either racist or rapists?

Don't tell me people don't, I've heard at least 2 stories about people getting their weapons ready on this forum just because a white guy was in the general area.

It's completely absurd.

3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As President Obama said very succinctly when he was here at Macomb Community College, those who graduate with a college degree earn on average 1 million more than those who do not throughout a life time. Where I do not agree is the actual education system in getting there for K-12.

Due to the fact that the NEA here in the U.S. is dominated by females, we are seeing education being adjusted more to how girls learn than boys. Common Core was created to give a way for girls to learn even more easily. The problem is that boys are finding more and more problems with learning in public schools. This is why we have an uptick in boys that are being homeschooled. Schools should not teach to how one gender learns and not the other. Female teachers also makeup approximately 70% of the staff at K-12 schools, so that also puts boys at a disadvantage because of teaching and learning styles.

That said, I believe that government scholarships should be need-based when it comes to Pell Grants etc. It should be gauged on how much money a family has made the year prior. Race should have nothing to do with it, but it did here at the University of Michigan until 2003 for undergraduate degrees. The Supreme Court ruled affirmative action unconstitutional at that level. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratz_v._Bollinger The University of Michigan law program held affirmative action polices until about 2013. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grutter_v._Bollinger

How would it be fair that someone like Sasha and Maleah Obama get scholarships just based on their race while someone whose white family has been living on welfare and in trailer parks for 50 years get shut out?

So, in short, no affirmative action for race or gender I believe. Scholarships were originally intended for the poor, so let them be used by the poor. If private donors such as the United Negro College Fund want to get involved, that is up to them.

4. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe that some men should be able to benefit from affirmative action, but not because they are men.

5. Gen

Gen

Affirmative Action has never had an influence on financial aid and scholarships. Accepted minority students are more likely to show financial need, but aid applications are only ever approved based on household income. Merit scholarships specifically have been proven to be provided disproportionately to Caucasian students not to POC. That myth of scholarship favoritism to racial minorities was debunked back in 2011.

Affirmative Action was introduced strictly to improve admissions. The government has no control over private scholarship providers and university financial aid offices are require by law to provide aid to students who fall below the middle class line and fulfill the academic requires. Aid provided by universities has never had anything to do with race or gender.

Gratz v. Bollinger was simply a matter of admissions. Which didn't even prove that students were accepted based strictly on race rather it allowed universities to come out and publicly admit to being against AA. Universities haven't truly followed Affirmative Action for decades because there are no literal requirements. It is symbolic legislation. It is the equivalent of telling citizens that they shouldn't discriminate in the workplace. Very rarely can you prove the claim that an employer choose not to hire you because you have minority status rather than you simply weren't chosen.

Now, I won't touch the issues in primary and secondary education because that is a complex enough subject in itself. I am only speaking about higher education.

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, because men aren't being discriminated against in the application process. Men avoid college, you could say, because there are more blue collar jobs available to them, so it's less of a necessity. Women have to just to come near what most men make, and even then, it's not always much. Keep in mind that many major in the social sciences, so that could play a part, too.

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I put "yes absolutely," just because it would be hilariously ironic. But really, I disagree with all aspects of affirmative action. And I'm not going to be sexist and say it is fine because men often have jobs that don't need a degree. Lol.

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think very small doses of AA for particularly disadvantaged groups is healthy as a temporary measure, but I'm not in support of extending that to extremely broad classes of people, because that band-aid solution disincentivises addressing the problem at earlier, much more important stages.

I do think it would be beneficial to make tertiary education much more accessible and to ensure that schools in areas with low socioeconomic status provide the resources needed to get into university. I'm not sure it's a universal truth that men find blue-collar jobs more appealing, especially if we're talking about deindustrialised countries, but making sure that alternatives and information are readily available is extremely important in tackling any issue like this, but as I'll explain in a second, I don't think that's the entire picture.

I also think that using an overarching average is a bad idea. For example, Australian university students are 55.7% female, but that's skewed by the most female-dominated universities. Some regional, rather awful universities with little prestige and a focus on relatively low-paying jobs like nursing and other courses that are scarcely academic have over 70% female students, while the top university for engineering has 46.8%. The reputation and later income of graduates vastly differ, with men coming out on top in this particular instance.

Women make up almost 80% of education students, around 60% of arts students and over 70% of health students. But they make up less than a fifth of IT and engineering students. The pay of those fields is heavily weighted towards the areas of study predominantly men take. Clearly, men need to be encouraged to enter female-dominated studies and vice-versa. Part of addressing that is making sure that workers in female-dominated fields are paid well enough to incentivise more men to join (as well as to address the rather plain unpleasantness of women currently earning less as a result) and making sure that girls at schools are being encouraged to engage with STEM fields more freely and making STEM studies seem less of a boys' club. And it doesn't stop there; even with relatively equal student numbers for studies such as law, men earn a significant amount more and end up in higher positions than women in their later lives.

I don't think it's a good idea to look at universities as a whole without also looking at specific areas of study in trying to find solutions to the problem. The basic numbers for graduation are quite different from financial outcomes, so I think it's really not a good idea to introduce AA to get more men in for the sake of getting more men in if that isn't part of a more comprehensive solution.

#28 Aussie792, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  9. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would think that everyone should just try there best regardless what they do

10. Simple Thoughts

I find the responses interesting.

I especially find the poll interesting. I put in the "No because they are not a privileged group" answer more as filler space, and somehow it's become one of the highest responses.

Even if men have alternative options that 'apparently' pay well outside of college because everyone knows working in a sawmill pays top dollar. Yupp. Top dollar. *says sarcastically*

The BEST of blue collar work I've ever seen in my life pays a starting wage less than a nurse, and after years of service you get to a point that puts you slightly over the average nurse.

I don't know what these magical blue collar jobs are that are paying out the butt, but I've never ever seen them.

Sorry got side tracked.

Even IF these jobs exist it's not some excuse at all. If women were the minority in the college setting everyone would be losing their collective shizz demanding action be taken. They would. No question that would be the case.

Since it's men though the literal only reason this is even a topic worth discussing is because college educated women need someone to date.

I mean you want to talk about privilege...apparently women not having enough people to date is what brings an issue like this into the public eye.

When was the last time men's dating troubles made news stories?

11. 741852963

Agreed.

We need to be open and honest when inequalities arise and think about how we can address them in a way that doesn't unfairly impact other groups negatively.

I think an interesting read which explains this phenomenon is "The War Against Boys".

I do think, whilst feminism has achieved many great and necessary progressions for women, a nasty side effect has been a residual inequality for boys in education. This would not be so bad if it was accepted, discussed and resolved. I think the problem is governments are scared to raise this for fear of coming across as sexist or misogynistic, and you do have vocal radical feminists doing their damndest to ensure such discussions are not given breathing space (usually through using dated research re gender pay gaps, or misrepresenting modern research by looking at it superficially). You only have to look at the abuse the author of the above book (a woman and feminist herself) receives.

12. Simple Thoughts

Yeah I'll be honest. I will never understand what feminism has against people trying to do something about men's rights issues.

Like with male suicide rates, domestic violence, and the surprising lack of any sort of shelters for abused/raped men...they don't wanna talk about it, and they don't want other people to talk about it.

13. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't really agree with affirmative action in general. If anything, I think it's more counter productive. If more men get accepted into college, then it is what it is. I believe in equal opportunity, and that includes everyone having the same chance to reach their goals.

Now that's just a generalization that all white people had power. Sure the men ruling the nation were white, but as far as ancestral history goes, it definitely doesn't account for all white people.

14. Lipstick Leuger

I don't believe in Affirmative action of any sort. I believe that the only action should be for those in need of funding. It should have nothing to do with sex, color or orientation either. It should have to do with your finding. If you have money, no help for you, if you have none, then you get help. That in and of itself would create more equality than the other.

15. Simple Thoughts

Fair enough.

I'm not all for affirmative action myself honestly.

I was curious about this though just because of the way that the young turks shut down the idea. It bothered me. I don't like when anyone is quick to completely shut down an argument without even hearing it.

16. Lipstick Leuger

17. Simple Thoughts

So the entire first part was a lot of explaining why these problems we face are our own fault so I'll ignore it to avoid any heated discussion.

I don't agree with anything in the later paragraph either. I can, if you'd like,I could provide some examples of feminism fighting against men's rights. If you want, that is.

Pro-cricumcision: How Intactivists Are Ruining the Debate on Circumcision | Feministe

Male Suicide: Feminism can prevent suicide - Pipe Dream ( piggybacking off a legitimate issue to further their own cause whilst being absolutely sure to demonize the group they're claiming to be 'helping' )

Male Suicide/educationalgap/domestic violence: Male suicide scandal: UK men are paying for a system that drives thousands of them to death

The later one is interesting. I'd take it with a grain of salt, but it makes me think perhaps the issue going on for men is that every push made for women to progress forward 0 action is being taken by anyone anywhere for men leaving them so far behind in the dust they cannot compete or even engage with modern society. So feminism's one-gender focus is excessively damaging to men as a by product of its own efforts.

#37 Simple Thoughts, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  18. Lipstick Leuger

To be completely honest, I am never impressed with any type of site quotes as it is possible to find those both for, and against, whatever your stance is. You will find I do not often use these types of things in my posts, as so many of them are Blogs or opinions and are not supported fact. (You can make anything look good with enough spin.) Site me some actual studies and stats done by the appropriate scientific method and I would be more inclined to believe them. I only believe about 2% of what I read on the internet on a good day, anyhow.(call me a cynical Xgener):lol:

I do not agree that males cannot compete or engage in modern society. I have seen no such proof in my life. Men are not stupid. I can honestly say that the males I know have never had a problem. The males that are being raised by strong Feminist mothers like myself certainly have no such problems, they understand it. In your opinion, and just because I want to understand, what is Feminism doing that 'causes' males to feel that they cannot compete or engage? Is there something specific? I would like to understand this generations view on this. I think you mentioned that you are not in America(I may have you mixed up with someone else) is it different in your country if this is so?

19. Simple Thoughts

I'm from America.

Unfortunately there isn't any studies being done about the question. At least none I'm aware of. Though I imagine that men's issues would be at the very bottom of feminism's concerns if such a study were done.

I phrased that pretty badly to be honest.

What I mean is that there are lots of programs to help women achieve and strive when it comes to things like education, and so many programs to protect women from abuse and rape. In the same breath no action is really taken on the behalf of men. There are no programs focusing on getting men into education ( and there would be pushback if anyone tried it ), and the only case of a male domestic violence shelter I've ever heard of recieved a ton of pushback from feminism and the man involved in starting it ultimately committed suicide.

Men not being emotionally expressive doesn't really cover the issue of the high suicide rates if you ask me. This is a trend on the rise, and men being emotionally expressive has always been a thing. The baseline of male suicide might be a result of that, but the rise not so much.

I think things like what I mentioned about women being given more and more advantages early on causes men to fall behind in a lot of respects contributes to the issue.

Another thing, I would argue, is ideas like 'teach men not to rape' and '#killallmen' or even the very concept of 'privilege'

They are all designed by nature to place men as a guilty party by nature of being male. Teach men not to rape as an argument implies that men have inherit desires to rape, kill all men is self explanatory, and privilege is intended to instill guilt based on the way a person is born.

Oh and drinking from 'male tears' cups doesn't really do all that much to encourage men to be more emotionally expressive, jus sayin.

Though the biggest and most prominent issue I think is just the state of things. Times are pretty tough these days and it's been a struggle for everyone to get by.

20. I oppose affirmative action, so no.

Besides, women could always meet men outside of school, like at a mall or a coffee shop.