1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you smoke?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ruby Dragon, May 20, 2016.

?

Are you a smoker?

1. Yes, I only smoke cigarettes

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. Yes, I smoke cigarettes and weed

6 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. I only smoke weed

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. Not currently, but I have tried it once

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  5. No, I kicked that habit

6 vote(s)
    7.0%
  6. Never have, never will

52 vote(s)
    60.5%
  7. Other (See comment)

9 vote(s)
    10.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Without seeing the source material, and in particular, the recency of the source material, I can't really comment. Those stats have always been what's been out there, but the most recent materials I've heard discussed indicate that it isn't as harmless as was previously thought. Is heroin or methamphetamine more addictive? Sure. Are amphetamines likely to cause more physical harm to the body? Yes. But that doesn't make weed safe. I'm not talking relative terms here... I'm trying to give accurate information to the many young teens that read EC and may be inappropriately influenced by the dated and inaccurate information that's being conveyed.

Again, not arguing this point. Alcohol is bad.

I can't really disagree with the above statement. Throwing people in jail for smoking weed doesn't serve anyone's interests, and clearly there's an inconsistency in the way we treat weed and the way we treat alcohol, and that makes no sense for a variety of reasons.

Additionally, we are finally, slowly, starting to move to a place in society (at least in the US) where there's a conversation about treating addiction and drug abuse as a medical problem rather than a criminal one. And that is a huge, huge change that has long been needed. We don't fix this sort of problem in society by throwing someone in jail, in part because drugs are available in jail, and even if someone gets clean while in jail, if they do not get treatment, they'll simply relapse on getting out.

My main point is that when we look at making the problem worse by legalizing something that is increasingly addictive due to the higher potency, we are missing the bigger point and at best kicking the can down the road and at worst making the situation substantially worse.

At the very least, the last thing we should be doing in a community that includes a lot of young people is giving them misinformation about the downside of even the so-called "harmless" drugs because that's likely to lead someone down a very negative path that, for a significant number of them, could be a lifetime of difficulty.

2. Ninetales

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm proud to say I have never smoked weed, and my last cigarette was April 2014.

3. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I enjoy a nice hand-rolled cigar from time to time, mainly Ashton, Montecristo or Romeo y Julieta. I love the variety of subtle, cedary flavors, and how it's just pure, hand-rolled tobacco, and the craft involved in making them. I maybe have a few a month, and do things like have them with coffee, whilst reading Thomas Mann. They burn from an hour to two, so its quite a leisurely thing, a time to be contemplative.

Cigarettes taste like a bunch of weird chemicals, in comparison; thin, mingy, fake.

And I'm not sure why, but with a premium cigar, there isn't that odd, addictive craving that came with cigarettes. Well, if you had them enough, there could be. Plus, I don't inhale them, but just gently puff away; I also like to punch cut the ends, as opposed to end cutting them, which means you don't smoke touching the filler, but from the milder, wrapper leaves.

Healthy? No, but in moderation, I like to have a few guilty pleasures; I've had too many friends who never did anything 'bad' die young, to let life pass by without tying different things, and taking a few measured risks.

#63 HuskyPup, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
  4. AngelLikesSpace

Out Status:
    Some people
    No. My sinuses are very sensitive to strong smells and certain smokes, especially cigarettes. I've never liked cigarettes in general though. I don't think I would try marijuana because of my sinuses but I still think marijuana is good for medical use if someone can use it without having a bad reaction.

5. Psaurus918

I can't stand cigarettes.. The smell is horrendous enough.

I've smoked pot a few times but I don't care for it. On top of it I'm already depressed and pot could make if worse especially if you become dependent on it

6. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Exactly. If somebody wants to smoke/do drugs than that is their choice, but they need to be prepared for the consequences of addiction and the damage that it could do (will do, in the case of cigarettes) to their body. I mean, it's their choice and I'm not judging, but if somebody freely chooses to smoke/do drugs then they should learn to be aware that they could become dependent upon it.

7. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This thread has gone a little off topic, but more importantly the staff have had to remove multiple posts which were just recounting the times they got high. As Empty Closets is a support community for people as young as 13+, we have to make sure that our posts are suitable for people within that age range. That means that we have to be careful not to glorify drug use, especially when sharing an environment impressionable young people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.