1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you match your stereotypes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaylen, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I do not match gay stereotypes, not sure what the bi ones are.. I can be greedy, however. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I don't match the stereotypes of being a Dutch guy (although I like talking about the weather). Don't like most of the food here, dislike soccer very much and don't have the same attitude like most people here.

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Transgender
    ... I can't really think of any, for this.

Woman
    - I like "girly" colors, like purple, teal, and pink.
    - I like to match, when it comes to color schemes; be it clothes or anything.
    - I like to feel 'fuzzy in the chest', by seeing/reading happy or romantic things.
    - I like kittens/cats, which seems to fit into the stereotype of, the single old cat lady.
    - I like English/words more than Mathematics/numbers.
    - I don't like sports, a lot. I'll casually play, but I'm not very passionate about them.

Bookworm
    - I like to read.
    - I like to collect various books.
    - I tend to "borrow" various words or phrases, if I like them enough, from written works.
    - I casually read the Dictionary/Thesaurus, sometimes, just because I want to.
    - I appreciate the written works, from all mediums and sources, that exist.
    - I sometimes buy a book, just to have it sit on my coffee table; and alternate these, too.

Caucasian/White
    - Privileged in societal terms. This is kind of an automatic, in general.
    - I like Rock, Metal, and Country (a selectively nominal amount, that is).
    - I live in the suburbs.
    - I can't jump. That's right, I can't slam dunk when it comes to basketball.
    - I'm politically aware.
    - I'm variably nerdy.

Nerd
    - I like comic books.
    - I like super heroes/villains.
    - I like Anime/Manga.
    - I draw and write my own stories, as well as my own comics.
    - I like, and wear, glasses.
    - I like to use 'big words', even casually.
    - I enjoy the thirst for knowledge.
    - I 'collect' various things, like action figures or miscellaneous items.
    - I, sometimes, snort when I laugh. This isn't too often, but it does happen.

Bisexual
    ... I can't really think of any, for this, either.

Southerner/Kentuckian
    - I use words like "y'all".
    - I like to walk around barefoot.
    - I own a Rebel Flag (historical purposes).
    - I went to church, quite a bit, as a child. Didn't work.
    - I like to drive in the mud, sometimes.
    - I can enjoy hunting or fishing.
    - I like to ride four-wheelers.
    - I like to walk around in the forests/woods.
    - I own some firearms.

Video Gamer
    - I play video games, obviously.
    - I have more than one console and one game.
    - I've actually been a part of some 'online Clans'.
    - I've spent an entire day, just grinding on a video game. Usually, when said game first comes out.
    - I've used 'l33t' and 'pwn' before; mostly in a joking manner.
    - I've had my fair share of "video game crushes", i.e. Chun Li (Street Fighter).
    - I like Mountain Dew and Dorito's.

Revolutionary/Survivalist
    - I own laminated maps, of various places in the world.
    - I own several 'works', from so-called revolutionaries, i.e. Che Guevara, Huey P. Newton, etc.
    - I stockpile various things: firearms, Ramen noodles, money, and so on.
    - I have contingency plans, for a few what-if scenarios: zombie apocalypse, social unrest, a simple burglary or break-in.
    - I have back-ups of several things: receipts (for tax purposes), USB drives (with various documents, programs, and files; for personal purposes), etc.

"Hippie"
    - I meditate.
    - I like marijuana.
    - I tend to swing left-wing, of the political spectrum.
    - I like colorful beads and various incense.
    - I tend to be mellow, when permissible.
    - I'm into the Arts, like writing/drawing/painting.
    - I have a tendency, to be skeptical of, even possessing a mistrust for, the Government.

That should suffice, for now.

3. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

Nope, maybe you can tell through my voice somewhat.

4. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Shoegaze/alternative rock fan:

-Long, messy, unkept hair
    -White
    -Male
    -DIY mentality
    -Hatred of manufactured mainstream music

College student:

-Very left wing/liberal
    -Lazy
    -Principled

Stoner:

-Lazy (Again!)
    -Laid back
    -Lover of music
    -Peaceful
    -Environmentalist
    -Habitual Cannabis user (Of course...)

Bisexual:

-There aren't any that I can think of

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a gay guy:
    • I'm wear pretty fashionable clothes and have few inhibitions about gender expectations (not that I routinely shock people, which is hard in a liberal city, anyway).
    • I can be sassy, but not in a Hollywood gay style.
    • I tend to play the stereotypes more than they're actually true; my attitude to sport is initially "eugh, do you think I'd spoil my delicate homosexual sensibilities with sport," before actually admitting I'm fond of soccer and love volleyball and hockey.

As an Australian:
    • I'm remarkably blunt when I want to be, though I don't consider myself stereotypically tactless or unsophisticated in the slightest.
    • I definitely undermine the "country bumpkin" stereotype which a lot of Americans have; I'm hopless outside of city comforts.
    • I tan really well :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

As a Finn:
    • My humour can be quite dark and self-deprecating, and there's the same bluntness which I learnt from my family.
    • I also find nudity in saunas totally normal and my consumption of coffee is ridiculous to some people.

As a Canberran:
    • I can come across as a total snob, which isn't entirely untrue, even if I take steps to correct it.
    • Also, I use the ridiculous Canberran student slang, which even we find hilarious. It's not really stereotypical, it's just something that you notice when you're here
    • One of my parents is a bureaucrat, and I'm a student (in Australia, Canberra is known to contain only bureaucrats, politicians, and students)

As a student/teenager:
    • I'm actually not bad with keeping schedules and so on. I have a productive form of procrastination (by doing other work to procrastinate from doing work) to make up for what every student goes through.
    • Chastity is not one of my strengths.
    • I get far less sleep than I should.
    • Insecurity
    • I spend an unhealthy amount of time on my computer and phone (sometimes simultaneously)

6. rmds

I don't really think I'm a stereotypical lesbian. I'm neither butch nor super femme. I'm sort of just me.

7. Chief Beifong

I'm a Filipino
    -love playing instruments, especially guitar, and love to jam with friends
    -enjoy playing/watching basketball
    -am a romantic
    -may talk to strangers (if they seem nice)
    -very noisy with friends
    -short

I live in Hong Kong
    -always drink bubble tea/Starbucks
    -wearing colourful/trendy clothing (only on occasions, trying to avoid it at all times)
    -have school smarts (math and science)

I'm a girl
    Nearly nothing, I don't like make-up, don't care of appearance/social life, prefer to listen than talk, likes dirt and sports, hate getting emotional....

I'm a lesbian
    -I love flannels and prefer wearing baggy pants
    -like to play video games? (not sure but i've heard a lot)
    -like sports
    -I have daddy issues (I don't know how's that a stereotype, but again, just found out)
    -want to own a truck/motorcycle
    -listen to indie-rock and Tegan and Sara

8. AAASAS

There is totally aspects of truth to stereotypes, people don't pull them out of their ass.

That being said, as you said :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, ha it's just not 100%, but stereotypes are a good way to get a grasp for what different kinds of people like.

Again it would NOT be bad advice to tell someone taking a trip to Canada to be MORE POLITE than USUAL and to SHOW AND INTEREST IN HOCKEY. It is much easier to start a conversation with a male in Canada if you can mention hockey, it's also easier to start a conversation here if you are polite about it at first.

As for gay stereotypes, they can be harmful because they are held in a negative light; being girly.....etc.

I think lesbian stereotypes may be the only ones that aren't 100% super negative cause they're reflective of male stereotypes which are still considered superior.

I'm also from a small town and I fit many stereotypes of North American small town folks.

I can't stand it when people dont say Hi when I do; even if they're in a bad mood, I can't stand people not being considerate of others, and I can't stand long lines and traffic. Most small town people that I've talked to hold very similar opinions, so you know that stereotypes can be true.

Every single person from a small town that I know is VERY FRIENDLY, and ALWAYS says "Hi" to basically everyone. Not saying city people aren't capable of doing the same, but it isn't held in such a high regard. When I'm in Toronto, I don't expect small talk with cashiers and random people on the street. If I'm walking my dog on my street, you better believe almost everyone that walks by is going to stop and talk to me, it's just the way small town people are.

#28 AAASAS, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  9. NDark

I own too many plaid shirts that just piled up over the years, I have short hair, I have black, square-frame glasses, I never wear dresses, need I go on?

10. alexlove

alexlove Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Gay Stereotypes : I'm kind of feminine. I love the color pink, I cry at sad movies, and I like shopping, plus people say I have a slight gay accent i'm so a Flamboyant i suck at expression emotions all of my friend's are straight woman

11. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like blaziken25, I did some research and I'm going to organize this post similar to the way she did.

Lesbian stereotypes:
    • Lesbians hate men - I don't have a problem with men. Just because I'm more attracted to women doesn't mean I hate men
    • Every lesbian relationship has a butch and a femme, because someone has to be the man and someone has to be the woman - I'm pretty feminine and I'm more attracted to feminine girls, so this wouldn't apply to me lol
    • Lesbians all dress like men - I dress pretty girly
    • All lesbians are masculine, hate make-up, shaving, bras and dresses - I wear make-up and bras and dresses and I tend to keep my body hairless except for the hair on my head
    • All lesbians like camping - I do enjoy camping oops
    • Lesbians are all into sports - I'm terrible at every sport; I'm not athletic at all
    • Lesbians were all tomboys as children - Definitely not true, I've always been pretty girly
    • It's just a phase - Nope, I've liked girls my whole life
    • All lesbians have short hair - No, I don't
    • Lesbians can't be friends with straight girls without wanting to sleep with them - I have a lot of straight friends, the vast majority of which I've never had any kind of feelings for that weren't platonic

Teenage girl stereotypes:
    • Teenage girls suck at sports - I really do
    • All teenage girls cake make-up on - I do wear make-up, but I put a reasonable amount on, I don't cake it on
    • Teenage girls love shopping - True about me, I love shopping
    • Teenage girls are always glued to their phone - Nope, I do like texting my friends but I don't do it all the time
    • All teenage girls love leggings and uggs - I do like leggings; they're really comfortable, but uggs are so awful and ugly and I have no idea why people like them
    • Teenage girls love Starbucks - Not really; I find it expensive and I don't really go often, and I only really enjoy their frappuccinos
    • Teenage girls are obsessed with their weight and physical appearance - I'm not obsessed with it but I do make the effort to look good. As for my weight, I really don't care and I don't have to worry about it anyway since I have a pretty fast metabolism
    • Teenage girls are stupid - I do pretty well in school, so...
    • Teenage girls are obsessed with Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr - I don't have Twitter, I don't use Instagram a lot, but I do use Tumblr pretty often

12. TheStormInside

Lesbian:
    Love cats: Check
    Jeans: Check
    Sneakers/Converse: Check
    No Makeup: Check
    Daddy Issues: Check
    Short Hair: Nope
    Flannel: Nope
    Man-Hater/Dislikes Men: Nope
    Into Sports: Nope

Artist:
    A little Weird: Check
    Creative: Check
    Flakey: Nope
    Left-Brained: Nope
    Into Drugs: Nope

Geek:
    Nerd T-shirts: Check
    Socially Awkward: Check
    Gamer: Nope
    Male: Nope
    Basement Dweller: Nope

New Englander:
    Likes Winters/Cold: Check
    Likes Outdoors: Check
    Socially Distant: Check
    Rude: Nope

13. kem

kem

I don't even remember what the stereotypes are anymore. I'm an artist, I like to paint. I like musicals and I'm studying clothing/textile (trying to get into fashion). I guess I am pretty self-conscious too, I go to the gym and exercise and eat healthy. Are those stereotypes idk

14. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Female stereotype , feminine , emotional , wears make up girly long hair sometimes short can't play sports .

Me feminine , emotional wears make up girly , can't play sports to save my life , I was always picked last in gym . Long hair .

Lesbian stereotype all lesbians dress manly ,all short hair, flannel shirts , all lesbians don't like penetration , all lesbians hate men , lesbians play video games , all lesbians are vegetarians and lesbians like cats lesbians don't wear make up .

For me and yes as you can tell I'm a lesbian I don't dress manly nor am I manly , I have long hair ,I don't own any flannel shirts , I like penetration just not with guys but a girl with a strap yell yes . I don't hate all men but I do hate ass wholes , I love to play video games . I'm not a vegetarian in fact my parents have to force me to eat vegetables , I love meat , such as stakes , honey bbQ wings etc . I like cats so that's true, I wear make up almost all the time I do go natural sometimes but I love make you can catch me at the drug store buying make up or even your sephora .

#34 stocking, Sep 11, 2014
  15. twosoups

As a gay man:
    I LOVE musical theatre
    I don't really consider myself a fashion freak, but I do keep up with it a little bit.
    I can be pretty effeminate.
    Hate sports... Yet, even more stereotypical, I love going to games bc cheering is fun.
    I love cooking. (thats a gay stereotype isn't it?)
    However, I break the mold in that I'm a military mechanic.

As a southerner:
    If I travel outside of the south people tell me I have a southern accent, but at home many people assume I'm from the north due to my lack of an accent sooo???

I'm a libertarian:
    I own some silver, and bitcoin
    I don't like or trusts banks
    I am a little more paranoid than I probably should be.

16. Ned B

As a gay man:

• I had a lisp as a child. My parents got rid of that with speach therapy in elementary school. Every once in a while particularly "gay sounding" phrases still come out of my mouth unintentionally.
    • I'm not obsessed with fashion, but I certainly follow it (I'm dating a former model after all), and some of my clothing is pretty fashionable and or colorful.
    • People have occasionally accused me of having a slightly limp wrist.
    • I don't mind playing some sports, but I can't stand watching any of them, and don't understand devoting entire Sundays to watching football games.
    • I love musical theater, but probably far beyond the stereotypical gay love of show-tunes.
    • I can be really emotional and bring a great deal of drama at times.

But overall, I'm not particularly effeminate like many of the qualities above would stereotypically suggest. All that is one small part of my personality, and not a particularly prominent part at that.

17. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

After thinking for a while I think I might actually be a stereotypical gay haha I don't mind it but wow I'm a stereotype?

18. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Lesbian stereotypes:
    I love cats
    I'm not that feminine (although not butch either)

American:
    Likes junk food

Female:
    Overthinks everything
    Loves cutesy things
    Moody

19. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a gay guy:
    • Don't care for watching sports
    • No interest in automobiles
    • Likes to dress fashionably

As a guy in general:
    • Kind of messy
    • Kind of loud
    • Crude sense of humour
    • Swearing more often than not
    • A bit of a horndog

As a Brit:
    • Drinks to get drunk
    • Talks about the weather a lot
    • Complains a lot
    • Loves scones
    • Self-deprecating humour

#39 imnotreallysure, Sep 11, 2014
  20. lukeluvznicki13

Most probably yes. I can be flamboyant at times.