1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you get mini panic attacks when you come out?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by sabrinaa, Sep 12, 2020.

1. sabrinaa

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was searching for this online and can't find anything. Just wondering if this is a shared experience.

I get almost a feeling of a panic attack when I come out to a friend. The closer they are to me the more sinking the feeling is. I remember my heart dropping, my ears pop, my entire body shaking. Really terrifying feeling and I can't really think calmly afterward. It does feel freeing and good after I process what I just did. It doesn't happen for every person I come out to. I once casually mentioned I am a lesbian to a coworker and the feeling was so much less than telling someone close to me.

The feeling has eased up over time, it is not as strong, but It is still hard to get the words out when my stomach is doing a flip and my throat is freezing up.

I still haven't come out to my family. My siblings know and all my friends know, but I STILL can't come out to my family so I am wondering if that huge panic attack is coming once the time comes. Anyway, just wondering how common panic attacks were when coming out.

2. Hemant

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes I am aware of such feelings. Once I tried to openup with a friend of mine whom I considered close my nervous system gave similar reaction.

3. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Mini-panic attack no. Full blown panic attack. I am only fully out to one friend and it took me a couple of months of consideration before I did it. On the positive side it turned out great. He is now a very close friend who I trust.

I am glad that it is getting easier for you.

#3 QuietPeace, Sep 12, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    gravechild likes this.
  4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    sabrinaa.....Like @QuietPeace said, mini panic attacks...nope, much more than that. The first three times were the most difficult. After that it got easier mostly because, with just one exception, I had planned to come out to a particular person. The only time it wasn't planned turned into the best experience coming out that I've ever had!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

5. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes.. I have been experiencing anxiety attacks since I started coming out in the third week of June. However, I can't be sure if it's just the experience of coming out or the overall stress of my life in 2020 (I'm still grieving for my partner, I have an incredibly difficult situation with my stepson vis a vis his controlling manipulative father and, well, there's also Covid to deal with).

Anyway, I remember I used to be an incredibly relaxed person back in that beautiful far flung Edenic era pre-2020. Not any more.

Beth