1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you flirt with your straight friends?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Haribo, Aug 29, 2018.

?

You're flirting with your straight friend

1. Harmless banter

2. Oh no, i love them

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Haribo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've a gay friend and i'm …..straight....yano probably.

On another post I was on about how close we are. Like we're SUPER close. Like closer than I've ever been with the many girls I've been with. He just like gets me. He knows when im down even when I've been my normal self and will text me in private like 'somethings wrong' when we're with the group.

We're close physically but that's just our friendship. Like he'll sit on my knee and we'll hold hands and spoon if we're staying over somewhere and I've always put that down to just like the banter we have as a friend group, but I've noticed he doesn't act that way with other people in the group. And if someone else in the group started doing the same I'd be like....this is weird.

SO my question, is this just harmful flirting that I've encouraged OR is there something more to it maybe?
    The gays in the group ALWAYS joke about how 'falling for a hetero' but he's not necessarily been like 'tell me about it'.

what are your experiences? i'm leaning towards harmless flirting but I've seen a good few posts in my 24 hours here about falling for straight people so it got me wondering lmao

2. Altanero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All my friends are straight, and we use to flirt a lot, just like a joke. I've noticed too that with my closer friends physical proximity is not revealed as a joke. I mean, my best friends never hugh me or caress me in an exaggerated way, "mocking" as if they were flirting with me. On the contrary, those affective gestures for my best friends seem to be something private and sincere. But I do a lot of "harmless banter", I respond them with "hot" comments, I touch them back...

I believe that for some straight men, this jokes with gay people are like a way to "test" their own sexuality. Like "we can be close, but this doesn't mean anything but we are good friends". And for gay people, maybe it's a way to express affection with no taboo. Like you fell so comforting at your friend's company that you have to show it. And I'm sure (and maybe I'm being "cliché") that for a gay man is easier to show care for another man, as he is used to do that.

3. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have no friends or ability to flirt, so I’ll
    Say no

4. -Michael-

I think it depends on the friend really doesnt it.
    I have friends I dont flirt with at all, some I pretend to get hot and bothered over and some i downright tell them i'd let them destroy me.

You know your dynamics better than we do so only you can suss out what your friend means when he 'flirts' with you.
    You also need to consider what you mean when you reciprocate.

5. Biguyjosh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Me and some of my straight friends flirt but it's all harmless. Although a couple I wouldn't mind more and I think another one may want more.

6. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I flirt with everyone. Of any gender and any orientation. I just love doing it. I've never gotten any negative reactions. So I assume it's fine.

7. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm going to have to say that in all honesty you don't sound straight. It seems like you guys are closer than just friends. All that cuddling, touching, emotional intimacy. I think he is definitely attracted to you.

Drizzle likes this.
  8. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This can be totally different based on the person - Some of my straight friends and I flirt and get touchy with each other and it's just harmless friendship stuff. On the other hand if they seem like they want to take it further than normal I have no issue with giving them some gay fun and that's happened more than a few times with certain people - it's probably just harmless flirting, but you never know, if you're wanting to try some experimentation or whatever (which it sounds like you do honestly) your friend might be down to help you with that.

9. -Michael-

Hmm duno. I've had plenty of friends, spesh when we were teenagers who I'd sit on the lap of, hold their hand and touch their hair. Can guarantee they were 100% hetero though.

10. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To me, having a straight male friend who I can be affectionate with is very refreshing because in the past I've been treated badly by both straight and gay boys who I tried to fit in with. The boys at school who made homophobic jokes at me because I was different from them and didn't chase girls and must be into fucking guys, and the gay guys who would criticize me for not being sleazy enough and sharing intimate details about my sex life.

Having a straight friend who doesn't mind that I like men instead of women, and doesn't care how slutty or prudish I am, and will happily offer me a hug and give me a massage, and finds it amusing when I make flirtatious comments towards him, kind of brings a bit of balance and harmony to my life - we trust each other and we don't judge each other. We are what we are and respect each other's bodies in our own way. You can call your best friend a cunt or an asshole and it doesn't mean you hate the guy, it just means you feel comfortable enough with each other to make gestures that other people might find inappropriate.

So whatever you and your friend get up to is between the two of you and not really anybody else's business (unless one of you has a partner and he or she feels uncomfortable with your affections towards each other, then you might want to discuss it)

I sometimes see gay guys with female friends who seem overly touchy, like they actually grope each other and act like its edgy and hilarious. I don't approve of that kind of behavior, and I don't want a female friend who treats me like that. But again, its not my place to judge other people's friendships.