1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you feel comfortable with adoption?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, Mar 28, 2013.

?

Would you love and feel comfortable with adoption

1. Yes I would love an adopted child as if it were my own DNA

50 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. Yes I would consider adoption

18 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. No I couldn't adopt a child that wasn't my own

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. No the idea if adoption it bothers me

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. BornInTexas

I would DEFINITELY adopt a child. I'd rather he/she be in my house than in some orphanage somewhere. I couldn't imagine being in one of those places. It must be horrible just waiting for someone to come along and adopt you...and you might not even get adopted. That's sad. I'll adopt them!

Blood makes you related, love makes you family! :grin:

2. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I don't really want children, but if the time came and my partner wanted children, I might consider. I wouldn't mind adopting a child, it'd have to be a main resort since I can't have my own, biologically speaking.

At least I could give an adopted child a good home, and I would be a very loving father. But, I just don't see it happening. I'm too much of a travel junkie to stay put and try to raise a child while all I really want to do is use my own money for my own leisure, and see the world and that such. Perhaps I would consider after I've settled down.

I'm only 17, I can't make a decision this drastic already.

3. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

I would definitely adopt in the future, and I would love them just as equally, I would just hope they would feel the same. The last thing I would want is to have them grow up and then say that I'm not their real mother, that would hurt. Yes, I would know I'm not their biological mother, but if I raise them, then I would want them to appreciate that, because I'd appreciate them like they're my own.

4. reds123

reds123 Guest

I would totally love to adopt a child :slight_smile: thats one of my goals

5. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Adopting was something we talked about straight away, eventhough we are still very young and only just together since christmas. It just felt like we would be together for ever and it seemed logic.
    Where I simply want "a family", my boyfriend was more about giving some kid(s) a chance for a better live. Especially older colored kids. (Maybe relevant to say that we are both mixbloods)
    He claims that no matter if they are your own or not, they are individuals that you can only guide.
    He was more about wanting to be a good parent (which he was very insecure about) than having "a certain kind of child".
    He is the kind of person who would take on a disabled child too. It is all about giving with him.
    I must confess that I am sort of dreaming of a child that would resemble at least one of us and I was more thinking along the lines of fathering one.

But yes comfortable with adoption.

6. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I'd like to do both if I can. I think it would be really neat to raise a kid who's inherited my quirks (and since my dad and brother have a lot of the same quirks, I know they're hereditary). And depending how much like me they turn out, I could potentially put some of what I learnt from growing up in action.

But I know if I adopted a kid, I'd love them just as much as a biological child. I'd especially like to take on a disabled child (as an autistic person, I think I could be a great parent to them). I'm not sure if I'd go for an older child, though, because the two kids who abused me were older foster kids (and probably had attachment disorder, though they weren't diagnosed). If the kid did have an attachment disorder, I would find that extremely hard to handle. I'm thinking of working with kids like that, but I certainly don't want to parent one.

Regarding not knowing medical history, well, I could just get them to send a saliva sample to 23andme. That'll give me plenty of information about what to look out for.

I didn't think you had to give a reason. Or you could just say 'I want to give a kid a chance for a better life'.

Ouch. I bet that was pretty hard on the little girl, too.

7. someguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^This. There are too many kids in need of a good home.

8. julia

I would rather have a surrogate of some sort, but I wouldn't completely rule out adoption.

9. FruitFly

Regarding questions on why you wish to adopt: I've yet to encounter a reputable agency that does not ask why, but if it's something along the lines of "pregnancy is disgusting" they'll asked you to expand on this (usually). Usually it'll go along the lines of "I do not want to have birth children, but I want to give a child a home".

Depending on the agency you'll face some serious quizzing if you're capable of having children but your first preference is adopting. Given that they're finding families for children some adoption workers can seem like they're grilling you at times. Some of the British agencies are downright scary when it comes to the questions they ask of prospective adopters.

10. The username

This.

As I stated in another thread, I have no desire to have kids.

But adoption is good. I am adopted. So, I voted for option one.

11. DanD

I'd love to adopt if I were financially stable enough to do so. So many people say that I'm great with kids, and seeing them smile and play makes me smile too.

12. Aielar

I'm adopted, so yes adoption is definitely something I would like to do in the future (when I'm more financially stable and ready for that responsibility). I still want some of my own children though, so my family would probably have some of both.

13. I've never wanted my own children. Whenever I imagine my future, I always see my partner and I with an adopted boy, about 12-14 years old.(Skipping the icky baby/toddler phase)

14. I don't really think that blood makes any difference. Of course, it is instinct for us to protect our own child, but as two men or two women adopting, it's hardly natural or instinctual. There is no chance I'd have a surrogate carry a child, whether by artificial insemination or not. It brings too many complications in regards to rights etc. I don't think it's a fantastic solution for gay guys.

So yeah, adoption's the way to go. In fact, even if I was in a relationship with a woman and wanted children, I'd insist on adoption. There are plenty of fantastic kids in care homes just waiting for the right parents.

---------- Post added 28th Mar 2013 at 10:45 PM ----------

I'm actually more looking forward to the later teens (16-20).

15. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd rather have kids of my own, but if there's no way to do that, then adoption would be an option. If I ever decided to adopt, obviously I'd love them as if they were my own.

16. xashesxx

xashesxx Guest

I want a family some day. Yes, I would love to have one of my own, but I would be thrilled to find someone that has kids, or even adopt a baby. I don't feel like I have to have my own baby to love any children I have. As long as I can call them my babies, I'll be happy.

17. Vesper

While it's hard to say how I'd really feel since I'm very far away from having kids through any means, I've had this idea of adopting orphaned girls from China ever since I read a number of books about the issue. Through the stories and research of adoptive parents, this has become rather personal to me, being a Chinese girl who was wanted and had a family with the means to keep me.