1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you ever witness hate within the LGBT+ community? Do you do anything about it?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by the haunted, Jul 20, 2014.

1. the haunted

Last night a trans* woman came in to the place where I work. I expect words and gawking from young people outside of the LGBT community, but what really got to me was when a fellow gay coworker, 23 years old, started saying things about her. About her size, how she should be wearing makeup if she wants to be a girl, calling her "big Bertha" (not to her face). Talking with the other guys about how ugly she is and whatnot.

I got onto him about being hateful to other LGBTs and he said something along the lines of, "Oh stop it, they're my people too. There's so much hate within the gay community, honey." I told him that it was wrong and blah blah blah.

Makes me sad that this even happened. :icon_sad: Disgusts me. :***:

Question is: Do you ever witness this kind of hate within our community? Not necessarily towards trans* people, but any LGBT member? Do you say something? Are you guilty of this kind of hate?

#1 the haunted, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  2. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, it is. It's happened to me here on EC for being a bi Christian. I was called a poser Christian. Thankfully, my LGBT center wouldn't do that or put up with that. We have a trans woman that works the desk and is in leadership. :slight_smile:

3. the haunted

Oops. I don't work at an LGBT center. Sorry if that was confusing. I edited haha.

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Many gay people are transphobic I'm sorry to say but it's true and it's a damn shame , I had not seen this in real life but I would be upset if I saw people acting like that and would call them out on it .

5. Acm

Acm Guest

I see some transphobia from cis LGB people, and some biphobia from gay people.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes I've seen these myself

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see biphobia from gay people, transphobia from cis queers, people who refuse to acknowledge non-binary genders (binary trans people do this too), plenty of racism, sexism, and sexual morality-policing.

We're not a very supportive community in many ways. Not everyone does it, but too many of us do hate/exclude other LGBT people for it to be ignored.

8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Unfortunately, humans are a hateful species at times...I too see a lot of biphobia and transphobia in our community, and even some lesbophobia from gay men

9. Brodie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got this a lot. I have literally no real life gay friends to speak to because the community I was introduced to through school friends and going out were the worst people I have ever met.

I got tons of shit from them because I wouldn't sleep around with all the gay guys and I wouldn't talk smack about people we hung out with behind their back. I apologise for the generalisation but the ones I met were like the mean girls at school, and most of them I just wanted to punch in the face..

10. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, one thing that has surprised me here is how many people seem to feel no need to disguise the fact that they dislike gay men as a group. There's an awful lot of it here--mainly other men who like men. It doesn't really offend me per se more it just sort of saddens me. It's not really anything I've encountered elsewhere. The kind of things people say here about gay men as a whole I don't even hear from straight people in my day to day life--there's often a quickness to judge that, like I say, I don't even get from straight people elsewhere. I suppose the gay men I have encountered in my twenty years in the community could just be really different from the gay men people here are encountering in the world but I'm not really convinced that is the case. Just something I occasionally wonder about...

11. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I've seen loads of biphobia. Some trans phobia but none personally directed towards me in community. Usually that's from guys who wanna play around with someone like me.

12. justjade

I actually don't in real life. I don't know many LGBT folks. I can say, though, that when I encounter hatred of LGBT's from the outside, I usually say something. But I've been lucky to know very kind, accepting LGBT people.

13. Seriously. This stuff is rampant and I try to call it out when I see it, but having to do so every single place I ever go is exhausting. Feels like fighting a constant battle that I never get to win.

14. Lipstick Leuger

Lots of Trans and Bi phobia going on. I recently got into it with a Rad Feminist about the Michigan Womyns Festival and why I was not going. I explained that I would not go and support it as they were not Trans friendly. She got so mad, telling me that I was a traitor and not a real lesbian and that I didn't understand about discrimination and that i was in the Patriarchy etc and so on. She ended up getting kicked off the site.

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    wait what ? People are really stupid sometimes

16. Hexagon

To be honest, I don't have much to do with the queer community. I'm aware there is hate, and I will do something about it.

17. iHateThinking

The only members of the LGBT community I really know are my IRL friends, and a few people online. And collectively everyone is pretty accepting and are willing to defend one another when things come up. Though I've been at the butt end of a few sarcastic and biting comments about cis women, even though I'm in the process of questioning my identity. Beyond that, never any kind of "internal strife" so to speak.

I'd say it's probably tons of times worse online, where people tend to spout opinions without actually thinking. That's a sight to behold. A lot of it is transphobic in nature, although there's still stigma surrounding bi-, a-, and pan- sexuals, non-binary folks, and people that are considered "special snowflakes". (not that I honestly get that whole bit, but eh. It still happens within the community itself.) Also, a small segment of lesbians in regards to trans women; I guess it's possible to assume there's an opposite segment for gay men in regards to trans men? I couldn't say.

Honestly a lot of it is why I don't like to associate with community settings, though I have talked about it with my friend and he feels that the hate isn't an excuse to not try and affect change. I see his point, but we agree it's extremely difficult; you can't change everyone's opinion or convince them otherwise. And even then, not everyone is cut out for it. There are some who can though, and more power to them. Go whoever they are.

I'll try to call people out if it requires me to do so, though I haven't been in a lot of scenarios that call for it to begin with. Regardless, we've got a long way to go.

18. Kat 5

When I see ANY irrational (rational hate would be hating Nazis or terrorism) hate, I barge right into their stupid act. Then, like an angry drunken sailor, I tell them off.
    I am guilty of this hate, and it haunts me to this day.

19. tulipinacup

I only not see hate but I see ignorance from the LGBT. It's really disgusting that some gay people are so judgmental when it comes to physical appearance and the ignorance of these so-called self-proclaimed "straight" guys make fun of effeminate gay men.

20. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

There is a lot of transphobia, binarism, and biphobia from the LGBT community. You'd really think we would know better.